HP Forums
convert fractional power to radical - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum)
+-- Forum: HP Calculators (and very old HP Computers) (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: HP Prime (/forum-5.html)
+--- Thread: convert fractional power to radical (/thread-9171.html)

convert fractional power to radical - DrD - 09-27-2017 03:04 PM

Can displayed results with fractional powers be shown with an equivalent radical (√) sign, instead? Is there a toggle for this?

-Dale-

RE: convert fractional power to radical - salvomic - 10-22-2017 05:41 PM

(09-27-2017 03:04 PM)DrD Wrote:  Can displayed results with fractional powers be shown with an equivalent radical (√) sign, instead? Is there a toggle for this?

-Dale-

do you mean symbolic results?
I'm curious too how to obtain conversion, i.e., from 1/(x^3) into [3]√x or thing like that...
\( x^{\frac{1}{3}} \space \text{::} \sqrt[3]{x} \)

RE: convert fractional power to radical - DrD - 10-22-2017 06:39 PM

Yes. I haven't found a way to do that.

RE: convert fractional power to radical - webmasterpdx - 10-22-2017 10:00 PM

If it's in there it'd be in one of the algebraic expansion functions.

RE: convert fractional power to radical - webmasterpdx - 10-24-2017 02:49 AM

There is a way to do this in a program. You'd have to write a function as follows...
Convert the expression to a string. Then, wherever NTHROOT shows up in the string, substitute for dd NTHROOT x with x^(1/dd). Likewise, to go the other direction, search for x^(1/dd) and convert to dd NTHROOT x, still in string format.
Then call EXPR on the result.
Enjoy. Publish this if you write it :-)

RE: convert fractional power to radical - salvomic - 10-28-2017 03:15 PM

I'd like to have something like QPI (see here), but more general (also for x and variables) and ...built in in the CAS. Maybe someday... who knows? Smile

Salvo

EDIT: however, for now, i.e., in Home QPI(x^(½)) returns 0, in CAS it, after some time, returns "Error: insufficient memory"... and no result.

RE: convert fractional power to radical - cyrille de brébisson - 10-30-2017 06:12 AM

Hello,

The problem is that this is a hard nut to crack and can yeild fairly long calculations.

Cyrille

RE: convert fractional power to radical - salvomic - 10-30-2017 07:53 AM

(10-30-2017 06:12 AM)cyrille de brébisson Wrote:  Hello,

The problem is that this is a hard nut to crack and can yeild fairly long calculations.

Cyrille

Certainly, Cyrille, we understand that, however having radicals result would be useful.