Accessing data from a separate file to be read by a program on 50g
06-02-2021, 10:56 PM
RE: Accessing data from a separate file to be read by a program on 50g
> just search through the manual for "string"

When I was young, such a statement would never be taken so literally, because computerised search didn't exist. Instead it meant look in the index or the contents. I guess I'm now officially old!

Anyway, while the User's Guide may use the word "string" liberally throughout, the contents list is a little more discerning. From there you can see that chapter 26 has a section entitled "Accessing objects on an SD card" and chapter 23 covers strings.

I grant you, however, that it is not obvious from chapter 26 that reading a text file from the SD card results in a string on the stack versus, say, the results of interpreting the file contents as if typed in. If you want the latter then OBJ-> is your friend - the calc is just being nice in allowing you to process the string first. :-)

Also, and this is another sign of being old and curmudgeonly, I discover that Apple have decided that FAT16 is obsolete and the new Mac refuses to acknowledge the SD card that I use in the 50G. The 15 year old Mac, on the other hand, knows about such archaeological curiosities as FAT16 formatting and CD-ROMS, and was able to read and write to it perfectly.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Accessing data from a separate file to be read by a program on 50g - BruceH - 06-02-2021 10:56 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)