HP 48 Series -- interseries compatibility?
11-23-2023, 08:16 PM (This post was last modified: 11-23-2023 08:19 PM by johnb.)
RE: HP 48 Series -- interseries compatibility?
Hey, sorry for the long period between updates!

I had the anime convention, then on my return, I've ditched a former role at my employer and assumed two new roles otherwise, which have required a HUGE learning curve. That and some other real-world complications have kept me "more than busy."

#0 [preface, off-topic] - for those of you who are interested, my panel at Anime Weekend Atlanta was a HUGE success! I am totally astonished and truly blessed. WE FILLED THE 500 SEAT BALLROOM, and they *still* had to turn people away. Apparently, LOTS of anime fans like science. Among the 500, I had one chemist, one physicist, an epidemiologist, a biologist, one other scientist, and one fellow former-Navy submarine nuc propulsion operator! I had plenty of fun audience interaction. The HP-41CX scene again got guffaws and "oh WOW!" from some of the engineers, and me subsequently holding up my own 41 again got peals of laughter from pretty much everyone.

I guess the only thing we have to fear is, fear itself?

#1 [back on topic] - today I tried my proposed shortcut of completely clearing the memory of the 48s, then installing John Meyers' routines first (via cable) to get 48g list processing, then installing my own routines via IR. Bob Prosperi, you were correct, this didn't work. If I open any of my broken routines, I see the XLIB references.

#2 - My personal library has a LOT more functions that I remembered, so it behooves me to be a world-class developer by being lazy and larcenous-at-heart... I've recently backed up my 48g to my PC -- 3 different ways: full backup, binary copies of individual objects, and ASCII copies. I'm noting that the ASCII copies have the real function names where the XLIB references appear in my 48s. So my next attempt at "skirting the rules" will be to use the connectivity kit to try loading a few of those ASCII copies to the 48s and see where that gets me.

#3 - However, if I were a betting man, the safe money is that Bob is still right, I am still wrong, and I will have to manually edit every single darn one of those broken subroutines, LOL.

#4 - I just remembered, I never posted a photo of my acquisition. My phone's camera hasn't done it justice, it literally looks brand new...

Daily drivers: 15c, 32sII, 35s, 41cx, 48g, WP 34s/31s. Favorite: 16c.
Latest: 15ce, 48s, 50g. Gateway drug: 28s found in yard sale ~2009.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: HP 48 Series -- interseries compatibility? - johnb - 11-23-2023 08:16 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)