HP41's: 3D printing solution to broken back cover holes area
05-23-2017, 07:12 AM (This post was last modified: 05-23-2017 07:26 AM by isanchez.)
HP41's: 3D printing solution to broken back cover holes area
Hello everybody,

One of most frequent problems I have encountered when repairing HP41 calculators is the fragility of the rear holes area, in the back cover. When that area is broken, the screws do not keep the pressure on the flex-connector and the calculator fails. I have tried many things without success until now.

Now I want to share with you a solution that has proved definitive. In collaboration with my friend Jose González, we have designed and tested a 3D-printed part that is coupled to the back cover, after removing the plastic that surrounds the holes. I enclose some photos...

I have been using this to repair, for the moment, two calculators with this problem. It Works great! The only thing you have to do is to clean the old broken plastic with a Dremel or similar, glue it carefully (I do not recommend cyanocrilate) and put a couple of clamps during 24 hrs...
It can also be used only in the case that there is only one hole area defective, just cutting one part.

Additionally it adds new (vertical) tabs to set the flex connector in place, so it increases the resistance in the case they still are present, or replaces its functionality, if all or any are missing.

I hope it can be of help to those who have HP41 calculators with this problem (I have in the spare parts box, more than ten back covers with this problem).

Kind regards
Ignacio
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
HP41's: 3D printing solution to broken back cover holes area - isanchez - 05-23-2017 07:12 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)