Data retention - lifetime prediction of modern calculators
07-12-2018, 09:42 AM
RE: Data retention - lifetime prediction of modern calculators
Hello!

(07-12-2018 08:57 AM)sasa Wrote:  While very old calculators may still works fine after 45+ years, nowadays calculators (including any electronic today) may have a very short life. According to the most problematic lifetime component (capacitors), the lifetime of general electronic are usually the same as a warranty not exceed 3 or 5 years.

This is absolutely not my personal experience. Especially older electronic devices used large electrolytic capacitors which have a tendency to dry out and fail while newer devices rather use small tantalum capacitors which have an almost infinite lifespan. In my collection of calculators (1000+ strong) there are very few post 1990 unit which do not work. All my mobile phones, the first one dating back to ca. 1994, still work - apart from weak batteries. All my notebook computers still work, the oldest one being from 1990. My iPad which is now 6 1/2 years old and sees daily use still works without a fault. My car just turned 19 and is full of electronics (digital engine control, antiskid braking, CD radio), and despite not spending a single night under a roof still works flawlessly. The same for cameras - still and video - and TV and audio devices (the only thing in my late 1980ies dolby surround amplifier that has failed is the motorised volume control which means that I have to get up from the couch if I need to adjust the TV sound - something that keeps me young and fit which is why I never tried to repair it ;-) )

So no, I would not fear about the life span of present day electronic devices. It is just the industry which keeps telling us that only the very latest gadget is good enough and needs to be bought instantly and everything older than a year can only be used as landfill.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Data retention - lifetime prediction of modern calculators - Maximilian Hohmann - 07-12-2018 09:42 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)