HP-32E Advanced Scientific Calculator - my first Spice machine
11-14-2016, 02:50 PM (This post was last modified: 11-17-2016 08:39 AM by jebem.)
RE: HP-32E Advanced Scientific Calculator - my first Spice machine
Battery pack replacement

I received a new set of batteries from TAS and it are now installed in the battery compartment.

Instead of the original Ni-Cd based technology, I have used the Texcus Ni-MH type Mignon AA HR6 1.2Volt 2100mAh with solder tags.

I have soldered the tags on one side to configure the two cells in series and have removed the tags on the other side (facing the battery connector clips).

Because these batteries are a bit longer than the original ones, there is no need to use the original plastic frame that would add at least 1mm to the overall length.
The new batteries overall length is 0.5mm longer than the original battery pack.

The battery cover fits nicely as these new cells diameter is only 0.5mm larger than the original battery pack size.

[Image: HP-32E_049.jpg]

These batteries are sold with near full charge, so I set the calculator in test mode to have all segments lit and left the machine powered on.
Seven hours has passed now and it is operating normally with no sign of battery low annunciator.

Probably these batteries can give a maximum continuous operation for around 10 hours (2100mAh Ni-MH capacity / 200mA consumption with all digits lit).

According to the HP owners guide, the original battery pack would run for around 3 hours of continuous operation.
EDIT:
"A quick calculation shows that that claim is correct (700mAh Ni-Cd capacity / 200mA = 3,5hours)."
Please disregard the above statement.
As noted by Dieter (see below), 700mAh AA batteries were not available at the time the Spices were released. Probably the original battery pack would have 450mAh capacity.

The calculator running in full autonomous and portable mode.

[Image: HP-32E_050.jpg]

(the end)

Jose Mesquita
RadioMuseum.org member

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: HP-32E Advanced Scientific Calculator - my first Spice machine - jebem - 11-14-2016 02:50 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)