Possible issues with random number generators for calculator apps
04-19-2017, 11:00 AM
RE: Possible issues with random number generators for calculator apps
(04-18-2017 11:14 PM)pier4r Wrote:  Well I am reading just now your topics about rng (page 30-35 of this forum). Nice work with excel and Matlab (why not on the calculators?)

From there I checked the rng of the family "linear congruent" and they do have a fixed pattern (in parallel planes). Their usage should be fine for small, non crucial, applications.

Namir side questions for you : while I believe that whatever personal exploration is important for understanding a topic, your "new" algorithms are really new or are labeled as "new" as in "I searched for a while and I did not find anything similar?" (this would be still a problem, how does one know if he has searched enough? Is one searching day enough? Ten? One thousand?)

The test for randomness requires fast machines and software. I use Matlab for speed, because I usually generate a few billion random number in testing a set of algorithms.

I post new algorithms that I develop myself. I have been looking at root-seeking algorithms sine the mid 70s, so I have a good idea of what's out there. I did post recently a survey of new modifications for Newton's method created by others. I usually don't search for similar algorithms. Now that you have mentioned that subject, I officially appoint you as algorithm searcher!! I will stick of thinking of new algorithms :-)

Namir
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Possible issues with random number generators for calculator apps - Namir - 04-19-2017 11:00 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)