Cannot Update Emulator's Firmware and Connectivity Kit
09-05-2017, 11:01 AM
RE: Cannot Update Emulator's Firmware and Connectivity Kit
@Tim:

Thanks for your clarifications and assistance. I tried different things over the past two weeks to pinpoint the update issue, to no avail. I do have a firewall installed, but I've allowed the emulator full access to the network. I tried blocking the emulator through the firewall, and when I then checked for an update, it did take a minute or so to time out, so it seems this is a problem that arises after the update mechanism has gained access to the network, not because it's being blocked. I also tried installing the emulator on a Windows 10 virtual machine with no firewall installed, and the same problem occurred (instant "could not connect..." message). Since another user has since reported a similar issue, it might be worth looking further into this. Perhaps you can check for an update as well to see whether you can replicate this on your end.

On an unrelated note, I think I might have encountered a bug in the emulator. When I click on the Toolbox button, and then select the App menu, whenever I click on "Trig Explorer" or "Data Streamer" I get a yellow exclamation mark.

@brickviking:

As Tim clarified, there is no "firmware" in the emulator, so as long as you download the latest exe file available from HP's FTP site and install it on your computer, you have the latest "firmware". As of today, the latest version available is the 20161208 version, which is the one you have, so you're all set. The update issue will only be relevant when HP posts a new exe file on the FTP site in the future. If the update mechanism has connectivity issues, it might not detect the new exe file, so we would have to visit the FTP site periodically to check whether a new exe file is available for download.

In order to see the emulator in the Connectivity Kit, you have to run both the emulator and the Connectivity Kit simultaneously, and enable networking in both. To do this, go to Edit -> Preferences, and check "Enable Network" (do this for both the emulator and the Connectivity Kit). Note that you won't see any option to update the "firmware" of the emulator in the Connectivity Kit, because there is no "firmware" in the emulator, as explained above.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Cannot Update Emulator's Firmware and Connectivity Kit - smtwmim - 09-05-2017 11:01 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)