HP41CL newbie question
03-15-2018, 01:16 PM
HP41CL newbie question
Hi,
I downloaded the new Clupdate program along with the rom_files_171202.zip.
I assume this is the newest update for everything, right? Because I also have the METX.ZIP, PWRX.ZIP and the WARP.ZIP flies.
Now can someone give me a step-by-step howto?
I know how to open a link to the calc. But then what...?
I tried to do a java -jar clupdate-1.1.0.jar —update rom_files_171202.zip /dev/tty.usbserial 4800
And I get:
8192 = 8192 bytes sent
And nothing. The calc returns to 0.0000
And what about the other files I mentioned? What do I do with them??

This may sound obvious to most of you, but I’m really a newbie...

Thanks for your help,

Engineer & Senior IT Executive
2x HP41CL, HP41CX, HP48GX, HP50g, 2x82162A Printer, 2x82143A Printer, 2x HP-IL, 2x Card-Readers, PIL-BOX.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-15-2018, 04:28 PM
RE: HP41CL newbie question
(03-15-2018 01:16 PM)Neve Wrote:  Hi,
I downloaded the new Clupdate program along with the rom_files_171202.zip.
I assume this is the newest update for everything, right? Because I also have the METX.ZIP, PWRX.ZIP and the WARP.ZIP flies.
Now can someone give me a step-by-step howto?
I know how to open a link to the calc. But then what...?
I tried to do a java -jar clupdate-1.1.0.jar —update rom_files_171202.zip /dev/tty.usbserial 4800
And I get:
8192 = 8192 bytes sent
And nothing. The calc returns to 0.0000
And what about the other files I mentioned? What do I do with them??

This may sound obvious to most of you, but I’m really a newbie...

Thanks for your help,

The latest update .zip file is rom_files_180311.zip (on the CL website).
No other .rom files are ever necessary. Every current .rom file is in the
rom_files_xxxxxx.zip file.

You should not get anything happening as a result of the java command
UNTIL you open the comm channel. If you do, something is wrong, but
I can't answer what. Perhaps Sylvain can.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-15-2018, 05:10 PM (This post was last modified: 03-15-2018 05:12 PM by Neve.)
(03-15-2018 04:28 PM)Monte Dalrymple Wrote:  The latest update .zip file is rom_files_180311.zip (on the CL website).
No other .rom files are ever necessary. Every current .rom file is in the
rom_files_xxxxxx.zip file.

You should not get anything happening as a result of the java command
UNTIL you open the comm channel. If you do, something is wrong, but
I can't answer what. Perhaps Sylvain can.

Hi Monte,

Yes I just actually finished installing the last update (180311), the one with the new AMASTRO ROM. Only 6 updates needed from the previous one.

But still having the same LASTx issue (from my other post).
http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-10303.html

Cheers and thank you all for your amazing work!!

PS: Any news BTW regarding your Time Module clone? I have a CX I’d like to convert into a CL, but.... No Time Module...
Or maybe I should get myself a CV for that, and keep the CX intact. What say you people?

2x HP41CL, HP41CX, HP48GX, HP50g, 2x82162A Printer, 2x82143A Printer, 2x HP-IL, 2x Card-Readers, PIL-BOX.
03-15-2018, 07:07 PM
(03-15-2018 05:10 PM)Neve Wrote:  But still having the same LASTx issue (from my other post).
http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-10303.html

I just disassembled CLUTILSB1 and can see that the LAST X registers is used
during the CALC_ON polling point for temporary storage. That's the source of
your problem. 'Angel will need to update the code to fix this issue. It should
be as simple as using a CPU register instead of LAST X, but that's just my
guess.

Assembled boards for the Time Module are sitting in the corner of my office.
I haven't had time to try programming the FPGA on one to see if I've screwed
up something.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-15-2018, 07:13 PM (This post was last modified: 03-15-2018 08:54 PM by Neve.)
(03-15-2018 07:07 PM)Monte Dalrymple Wrote:  I just disassembled CLUTILSB1 and can see that the LAST X registers is used
during the CALC_ON polling point for temporary storage. That's the source of
your problem. 'Angel will need to update the code to fix this issue. It should
be as simple as using a CPU register instead of LAST X, but that's just my
guess.

Assembled boards for the Time Module are sitting in the corner of my office.
I haven't had time to try programming the FPGA on one to see if I've screwed
up something.

I understand. Thank you for your quick answer.

Cheers.

@Àngel??

03-15-2018, 08:40 PM (This post was last modified: 03-15-2018 08:41 PM by Ángel Martin.)
So the replacement is ready - it uses register 9(Q) instead of 4(L). All "standard" CPU registers (A,B,M,N) are used when the SECURE code is executed if the flag is set for it.

The reason I haven't released it yet is that I *remember* trying this in the past and rejecting it for another reason... but i can't recall what was that exactly. If I can't see any problem in the next coupe of days I'll post the new ROM images.

"To live or die by your own sword one must first learn to wield it aptly."
03-15-2018, 08:53 PM
(03-15-2018 08:40 PM)Ángel Martin Wrote:  So the replacement is ready - it uses register 9(Q) instead of 4(L). All "standard" CPU registers (A,B,M,N) are used when the SECURE code is executed if the flag is set for it.

The reason I haven't released it yet is that I *remember* trying this in the past and rejecting it for another reason... but i can't recall what was that exactly. If I can't see any problem in the next coupe of days I'll post the new ROM images.

Awesome. Let’s hope all goes well.

Thank you Àngel !

03-19-2018, 08:51 AM (This post was last modified: 03-19-2018 08:58 AM by Ángel Martin.)
Attached are the patched ROM files with the change. To use them you need to replace the current files in flash or ram with the patched ones.
  • CLUTLSB1.ROM is the first bank of PWCL, at 0x114
  • PWREXT1.ROM is the first bank of PWRX, at 0x180

Replacing the L-register use with register Q during the CALC_ON event is the only change made to these ROMS.

Remember that the PowerCL (using YFNP) hasn't been updated in a couple of years; so among many other things, it has an out-of-date ROM database content for CLLIB and ROMLIB.

There are no planned updates for the standard PowerCL module - which was superseded by the PowerCL Extreme.

It is highly recommended that you make the move to PWRX (using YFNX).

Let me know if you run into issues.

Attached File(s)
.zip  Q-Patch.zip (Size: 9.75 KB / Downloads: 4)

03-19-2018, 09:15 AM
(03-19-2018 08:51 AM)Ángel Martin Wrote:  Attached are the patched ROM files with the change. To use them you need to replace the current files in flash or ram with the patched ones.

I don’t know how to do that.

(03-19-2018 08:51 AM)Ángel Martin Wrote:  Remember that the PowerCL (using YFNP) hasn't been updated in a couple of years; so among many other things, it has an out-of-date ROM database content for CLLIB and ROMLIB.

There are no planned updates for the standard PowerCL module - which was superseded by the PowerCL Extreme.

I’m using YFNP with PWRX. The reason being that if I use YFNX, the TURBO(n) function returns “NON-EXISTENT”.

Thanks Àngel.

Cheers.

03-19-2018, 12:46 PM (This post was last modified: 03-19-2018 12:47 PM by Ángel Martin.)
(03-19-2018 09:15 AM)Neve Wrote:  
(03-19-2018 08:51 AM)Ángel Martin Wrote:  Attached are the patched ROM files with the change. To use them you need to replace the current files in flash or ram with the patched ones.

I don’t know how to do that.

Have a look at the YFNZ or YFNX manuals, I believe it's all explained in there.

You'd need a way to transfer the ROM file to the CL. There are a couple of approaches, one based on a java script (Sylvain's the author) and another using a DOS Command prompt utility - CLWRITER.

You can start with a RAM-based setup, and once you're comfortable commit it to flash.

(03-19-2018 09:15 AM)Neve Wrote:  
(03-19-2018 08:51 AM)Ángel Martin Wrote:  Remember that the PowerCL (using YFNP) hasn't been updated in a couple of years; so among many other things, it has an out-of-date ROM database content for CLLIB and ROMLIB.

I’m using YFNP with PWRX. The reason being that if I use YFNX, the TURBO(n) function returns “NON-EXISTENT”.

Well, the combination YFNP-PWRX is not meant to work, different FAT arrangment and also different function set!

The NONEXISTENT glitch was also fixed in the latest revision of PWREXT.
Once you manage do the update you'll have this one solved as well.

Cheers,
ÁM

03-19-2018, 01:10 PM
(03-19-2018 12:46 PM)Ángel Martin Wrote:  Have a look at the YFNZ or YFNX manuals, I believe it's all explained in there.
I’ve never seen those manuals. I only know the standard CL manual.

(03-19-2018 12:46 PM)Ángel Martin Wrote:  You'd need a way to transfer the ROM file to the CL. There are a couple of approaches, one based on a java script (Sylvain's the author) and another using a DOS Command prompt utility - CLWRITER.

You can start with a RAM-based setup, and once you're comfortable commit it to flash.

I just know how to update the entire machine with the serial adapter and clupdate.
But I have no idea what you’re talking about.

(03-19-2018 12:46 PM)Ángel Martin Wrote:  Well, the combination YFNP-PWRX is not meant to work, different FAT arrangment and also different function set!

Cheers,
ÁM

The NONEXISTENT issue exists when I use YFNX-PWRX. No problem at all with YFNP-PWRX!!

Once again, I have no idea how to update individual images. I don’t want to mess things up.

Can someone help?

03-19-2018, 01:31 PM
(03-19-2018 01:10 PM)Neve Wrote:  
(03-19-2018 12:46 PM)Ángel Martin Wrote:  Have a look at the YFNZ or YFNX manuals, I believe it's all explained in there.
I’ve never seen those manuals. I only know the standard CL manual.

You can find the YFNX manual here.

The syntax of many commands in YFNX differ from the defaults, so you will need to learn some new versions of commands you already use, however you will eventually find them more flexible and precise, and have greater control of your 41CL.

Since the older PowerX modules will not be maintained (primarily since very few users still use them) it makes sense to switch to the newer/better system.

All commands you have learned are still available, though some with slightly different syntax, for example instead of TURBO50, with YFNX you XEQ 'TURBO' and it then prompts for the speed with '_ _' and you type 50. Same command, just slightly different way to use it.

--Bob Prosperi
03-19-2018, 01:56 PM (This post was last modified: 03-20-2018 10:40 AM by Neve.)
(03-19-2018 01:31 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  You can find the YFNX manual here.

The syntax of many commands in YFNX differ from the defaults, so you will need to learn some new versions of commands you already use, however you will eventually find them more flexible and precise, and have greater control of your 41CL.

Since the older PowerX modules will not be maintained (primarily since very few users still use them) it makes sense to switch to the newer/better system.

All commands you have learned are still available, though some with slightly different syntax, for example instead of TURBO50, with YFNX you XEQ 'TURBO' and it then prompts for the speed with '_ _' and you type 50. Same command, just slightly different way to use it.

Thanks Bob, got it. Sorry, I’m still learning, and still have a lot to cover and discover!
Welcome to newbies world!!

What about just updating those 2 files Àngel posted instead of going through the whole update process?

Thanks

03-19-2018, 02:00 PM (This post was last modified: 03-19-2018 02:01 PM by Ángel Martin.)
(03-19-2018 01:10 PM)Neve Wrote:  
(03-19-2018 12:46 PM)Ángel Martin Wrote:  Well, the combination YFNP-PWRX is not meant to work, different FAT arrangement and also different function set!

The NONEXISTENT issue exists when I use YFNX-PWRX. No problem at all with YFNP-PWRX!!

The NONEXISTENT glitch was due to a typo in one of the previous updates, (unfortunately it seems to be the revision you have) but it was corrected in the current revision of PWREXT. It is all working as designed, YFNX must be paired with PWRX.

The combination of the older Power_CL with YFNX is not going to work in several areas - even if the one you point out seems to work (fortuitously). Be careful with that setup.

Sorry I know this doesn't solve your update problem, try the manuals and come back with questions as you're learning the new tricks.

03-19-2018, 04:06 PM
(03-19-2018 01:56 PM)Neve Wrote:  What about just updating those 2 files Àngel posted instead of going through the whole update process?

I believe (Angel, correct if I'm wrong here) that if you switch to YFNX and PWRX, and you have the latest ROM set updated, then you don't need to do those updates, and the problem you reported should be gone.

If I followed the thread correctly, Angel modified 2 of the older ROMs that were leading to the odd problem you saw, but with the newer recommended pair (YFNX/PWRX) then the old (buggy) ROMs are not used so not chance to see the same bug.

--Bob Prosperi
03-19-2018, 04:45 PM
(03-19-2018 04:06 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  <...snip...> I believe (Angel, correct if I'm wrong here) that if you switch to YFNX and PWRX, and you have the latest ROM set updated, then you don't need to do those updates, and the problem you reported should be gone. <...snip...>

Are instructions posted anywhere for "switching to YFNX and PRWX"?

I purchased my V4 board back in 2016, and I've been keeping my ROMs up to date with the process that Angel & Monte posted last year.

Thanks!

smp
03-19-2018, 04:45 PM
(03-19-2018 04:06 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  
(03-19-2018 01:56 PM)Neve Wrote:  What about just updating those 2 files Àngel posted instead of going through the whole update process?

I believe (Angel, correct if I'm wrong here) that if you switch to YFNX and PWRX, and you have the latest ROM set updated, then you don't need to do those updates, and the problem you reported should be gone.

If I followed the thread correctly, Angel modified 2 of the older ROMs that were leading to the odd problem you saw, but with the newer recommended pair (YFNX/PWRX) then the old (buggy) ROMs are not used so not chance to see the same bug.

I get it. I have switched to the ...X roms. But the LASTx bug is still here.
I just would like to know how to step by step update these independent files Àngel posted. That's all.

Thank you both for bearing with me.

03-19-2018, 04:49 PM
(03-19-2018 04:45 PM)smp Wrote:  
(03-19-2018 04:06 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  <...snip...> I believe (Angel, correct if I'm wrong here) that if you switch to YFNX and PWRX, and you have the latest ROM set updated, then you don't need to do those updates, and the problem you reported should be gone. <...snip...>

Are instructions posted anywhere for "switching to YFNX and PRWX"?

I purchased my V4 board back in 2016, and I've been keeping my ROMs up to date with the process that Angel & Monte posted last year.

Thanks!

smp

What I did is:
MMUDIS
“YFNX” PLUG1L
“PWRX” PLUG1U
MMUEN

I don’t know if it’s the proper or best way, but it seems to work.
No more “NONEXISTENT” when using the proper TURBO command. It indeed prompts for the value. Thanks Rob.

However, as I mentioned, the LASTx bug is still present without updating the files Àngel posted. But I don’t know how to yet.

03-19-2018, 05:26 PM
(03-19-2018 04:49 PM)Neve Wrote:  What I did is:
MMUDIS
“YFNX” PLUG1L
“PWRX” PLUG1U
MMUEN
When I reconfigure the ports on my 41CL, just to be on the safe side, I always do a MMUCLR (MMU clear) after a MMUDIS (MMU disable).
FYI, all the PLUG#L & PLUG#U functions has been replaced by PLUG (interactive PLUG) and PPLUG (programmable PLUG) in YFNX. (see cl_extreme.pdf manual P14..19)
Example: MMUDIS MMUCLR “YFNX” PLUG1L MMUEN "PWRX 9" PPLUG

(03-19-2018 01:10 PM)Neve Wrote:  Once again, I have no idea how to update individual images. I don’t want to mess things up.
I will write you a small how-to when I am back home tonight. [GMT-4h]

Sylvain
03-19-2018, 06:03 PM
(03-19-2018 05:26 PM)Sylvain Cote Wrote:  
(03-19-2018 04:49 PM)Neve Wrote:  What I did is:
MMUDIS
“YFNX” PLUG1L
“PWRX” PLUG1U
MMUEN
When I reconfigure the ports on my 41CL, just to be on the safe side, I always do a MMUCLR (MMU clear) after a MMUDIS (MMU disable).
FYI, all the PLUG#L & PLUG#U functions has been replaced by PLUG (interactive PLUG) and PPLUG (programmable PLUG) in YFNX. (see cl_extreme.pdf manual P14..19)
Example: MMUDIS MMUCLR “YFNX” PLUG1L MMUEN "PWRX 9" PPLUG

(03-19-2018 01:10 PM)Neve Wrote:  Once again, I have no idea how to update individual images. I don’t want to mess things up.
I will write you a small how-to when I am back home tonight. [GMT-4h]

Sylvain

Thank you Sylvain. Greatly appreciated.
If I do a MMUCLR after the MMUDIS, won’t I have to replug all the other modules I have from scratch?

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)