Serial cord for 95LX
03-20-2018, 10:43 PM
Serial cord for 95LX
Hi - I hope I'm not breaking any protocols by posting this question here. I recently got a 95LX. Unfortunately, it didn't come with any cords to interface it with. Specifically, I'm trying to connect it to a PC. I haven't been able to find any serial cables that would work for it, however. Are there any modern solutions to this, or at least some repository of original cables? Thanks for any help! - Jeff
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-21-2018, 02:33 AM
RE: Serial cord for 95LX
(03-20-2018 10:43 PM)Jeff Irok Wrote:  Hi - I hope I'm not breaking any protocols by posting this question here. I recently got a 95LX. Unfortunately, it didn't come with any cords to interface it with. Specifically, I'm trying to connect it to a PC. I haven't been able to find any serial cables that would work for it, however. Are there any modern solutions to this, or at least some repository of original cables? Thanks for any help! - Jeff

Here you go,

http://www.palmtoppaper.com/store/asp/pr...rodtype=36

There's also eBay, but it's more of a suppository than a repository.
03-21-2018, 02:38 PM
The 95LX uses the same serial cable as the 48S/SX/G/GX, including a 100/200LX cable with its appropriate 10-to-4-pin adapter, or a 49G cable with its appropriate 10-to-4-pin adapter (both of which have a different pin-out on the 10-pin side, so you cannot mix and match). That may broaden your search a bit.

And if posting about HP palmtops is against protocol, then I'll be heading off to the brig right alongside you. Wink
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-23-2018, 12:06 AM
Thanks to both of you - great information! Both posts are very helpful!

I kinda figured I wasn't breaking protocol, but since I'm new here, I wasn't able to acclimate yet and figure out if there were any restrictions regarding topics about finding accessories, or if maybe that topic belonged in a subforum I hadn't yet seen. I'm glad everything's cool!
03-23-2018, 01:39 AM
(03-23-2018 12:06 AM)Jeff Irok Wrote:  Thanks to both of you - great information! Both posts are very helpful!

I kinda figured I wasn't breaking protocol, but since I'm new here, I wasn't able to acclimate yet and figure out if there were any restrictions regarding topics about finding accessories, or if maybe that topic belonged in a subforum I hadn't yet seen. I'm glad everything's cool!

Jeff;
I've seen the various 98XX desktop "calculators" discussed here along with the 75, 85, 86, 87, the 110, and the various I.B. printers and plotters. A lot of HP calculator users also ran the old pre-PC computers too so they fit right in. Things farther out go to the Not quite HP or the Not Remotely HP forums.
The only reason to worry about where to post is that this has gotten so big; few people read it all. A question might get missed by the guy who knows the answer, if you post in the second-best area. If something should get moved; someone will usually mention that in the thread or do a "report" to get a mod to do it.

One thing. When you do get that 4 to 10 cable; be careful plugging it in. The pins are exactly as fragile as they look. There's more than a few 3 pin HP48s out there for that reason.
03-23-2018, 03:55 PM (This post was last modified: 03-23-2018 03:56 PM by striegel.)
Cable from Samson Cables $19.99
(03-21-2018 02:38 PM)Dave Britten Wrote:  The 95LX uses the same serial cable as the 48S/SX/G/GX...
HP 48G 48GX 48SX Serial Cable (Samson Cables)
03-27-2018, 01:14 AM
Have fun with the 95LX. It chews up batteries a little quicker than the later 100LX and 200LX apparently, but my 95LX is still going strong!
04-07-2018, 01:04 AM
HP serial cable for 200LX adapter for use with HP 95LX
Here are some images of another cable and adapter for converting the serial connection from a 100LX/200LX to the smaller 95LX serial port.

http://striegels.com/alan/HPLX/HP_95LX_serial/

All together, the images are too large to post here directly, so they're all on a web page where you can click on any of them to get a much bigger photo.

Alan
04-07-2018, 01:52 AM
(04-07-2018 01:04 AM)striegel Wrote:  Here are some images of another cable and adapter for converting the serial connection from a 100LX/200LX to the smaller 95LX serial port.

http://striegels.com/alan/HPLX/HP_95LX_serial/

All together, the images are too large to post here directly, so they're all on a web page where you can click on any of them to get a much bigger photo.

Alan

Be careful, there are 2 totally incompatible types of the 10-pin connector, 1 used by the 100LX/200LX and the other by the 38G/39G/40G/49G, and using the wrong one can damage your machine. In this case, be sure you are using a genuine 200LX cable and not one from the calcs. listed above (which also came with the same type of adapter to connect to a 48).

See details in Joe Horn's famous Cable Table.

p.s. Nice webpage with clear photos Alan. Adding to my collection...

--Bob Prosperi
04-07-2018, 02:17 AM
Hi Jeff,

I think I may have the cable you need. Let me look around in my box of cables this weekend and I'll let you know.

Another option - If you have a Laptop with a full size PCMCIA slot, then you should pick up a SRAM card. Then you could directly copy files to the card. A lot easier and faster than using a cable. Plus it will increase your storage space on the 95LX. But SRAM cards are expensive.

If I remember correctly, it was possible to use some flash cards using a special driver. But I don't really remember all the details.
When I had a 95LX, I used a 2 MB SRAM card and had a serial pcmcia reader for my PC.

I'll take a look this weekend and let you know if I find the cable.

Bill
Smithville, NJ
04-07-2018, 11:27 PM
Another nice visual reference
(04-07-2018 01:52 AM)rprosperi Wrote:  ...
Be careful, there are 2 totally incompatible types of the 10-pin connector, 1 used by the 100LX/200LX and the other by the 38G/39G/40G/49G
See details in Joe Horn's famous Cable Table.
Please see this other excellent page with nice images of various connectors.

http://www.keesvandersanden.nl/calculato...cables.php
04-10-2018, 01:37 AM
Sorry - I couldn't find the cable. I know I have it somewhere in a box with all the other tangled cables.

Bill
Smithville, NJ
04-11-2018, 10:51 AM (This post was last modified: 04-11-2018 10:53 AM by Etienne Victoria.)
Digging in my part box I have an Hp-82208-80001. DB9<--->4pins female

I know this works with an Hp-48 but could not ascertain from Kees site it would work for a 95LX (I don't have this model).

Can anybody confirm ?

Thanks

Etienne

Edit: Stupid me! Just read Dave's posting. Thanks Dave! @Jeff, you have a PM.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)