hp 42s reported bleeding LCD
04-13-2018, 02:22 PM
hp 42s reported bleeding LCD
are hp 42s displays (in both variations: flat bezel and the stepped bezel) prone to the LCD-bleeding problem ??
any reported cases ??
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-13-2018, 03:30 PM
RE: hp 42s reported bleeding LCD
Quote:are hp 42s displays (in both variations: flat bezel and the stepped bezel) prone to the LCD-bleeding problem ?? any reported cases ??

I really think you are overly concerned about this, at least for HPs. I'd venture *anything* with an LCD display could have this trouble eventually, especially if it frequently subjected to a lot of environmental extremes, like storage in a hot car. But is it common for LCD HP calculators?

I have a fair number of old HP calculators including a couple HP48, three 41, a handful of Voyagers, a 42s, a 32SII, a couple of 28, a 50g... and more. None of them have bleeding LCDs.

Occasionally I see a bleedy one of some sort (varied models) for sale on eBay, but it isn't a rampant problem like corroded battery compartments in the 41, broken battery door areas on the clamshell models (HP-28c/s and friends), wonky no-solder boards in the Spice series, and Woodstocks that self-destruct every time an eBay seller naïvely plugs them in without a battery installed.

I know you saw somebody who had a bleedy one on YouTube, but I really don't think it's a major concern.

Take a look through "completed auctions" on eBay for the 42s (or the 48s/g you asked about prior) from the past couple of years. I'm betting you won't find many with the issue. Maybe in another 30 years there will be more, but it's so rare enough now, it would not prevent me from buying a nice one based on fear that "might happen someday".
04-13-2018, 04:53 PM
Due to my job, I have been moving from country to country every few years, so most of my HPs are sealed and store in boxes, recently (after 12 years) I have a chance to check on some of my calculators and have noticed that 3 x LCD models (out of hundreds of LED and LCD), namely 14B - 2852A17473, 14B 50th Anniversary - 2915A35050 and 32SII - 3238S07101 have bleeding LCDs. These are all almost brand new when I put in storage and they are all not exposed to heat, UV or mishandling.
04-13-2018, 06:29 PM
(04-13-2018 03:30 PM)burkhard Wrote:  
Quote:are hp 42s displays (in both variations: flat bezel and the stepped bezel) prone to the LCD-bleeding problem ?? any reported cases ??

I really think you are overly concerned about this, at least for HPs. I'd venture *anything* with an LCD display could have this trouble eventually, especially if it frequently subjected to a lot of environmental extremes, like storage in a hot car. But is it common for LCD HP calculators?

I have a fair number of old HP calculators including a couple HP48, three 41, a handful of Voyagers, a 42s, a 32SII, a couple of 28, a 50g... and more. None of them have bleeding LCDs.

Occasionally I see a bleedy one of some sort (varied models) for sale on eBay, but it isn't a rampant problem like corroded battery compartments in the 41, broken battery door areas on the clamshell models (HP-28c/s and friends), wonky no-solder boards in the Spice series, and Woodstocks that self-destruct every time an eBay seller naïvely plugs them in without a battery installed.

I know you saw somebody who had a bleedy one on YouTube, but I really don't think it's a major concern.

Take a look through "completed auctions" on eBay for the 42s (or the 48s/g you asked about prior) from the past couple of years. I'm betting you won't find many with the issue. Maybe in another 30 years there will be more, but it's so rare enough now, it would not prevent me from buying a nice one based on fear that "might happen someday".

This

AKA - I agree wholeheartedly

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)