Repainting voyager logo badge
06-28-2018, 03:12 PM (This post was last modified: 06-28-2018 03:13 PM by damaltor.)
Repainting voyager logo badge
Hi forum,
i am rebuilding an HP-15C from parts, more on that later. I have a logo badge, one of the newer plastic ones, which has lost quite some color over the years. is is already taken out of the calculator.
i would like to repaint it silver or white to make it pop out again. all my other voyagers are nice and shiny so this one has to shine, too. i might use white, because it looks similar enough and might be easier than finding "the correct" silver tone. also it could help in differentiating the device - it will be in everyday use next to a 16c.

My first try was to put modeling clay / play dough onto the logo and try to wipe it off while leaving it in the ridges, in the hope that i could then spray it with the can and remove the clay afterwards. the clay would not stay in the groves, or would cover up some of the elevated places too, so that was not a success.

any idea how to repaint this logo nicely?

attached: a bad photo of the logo, including clay leftovers inside the letters.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-28-2018, 03:52 PM
RE: Repainting voyager logo badge
I've used a Krylon Silver Leafing Pen with success to restore the silver trim on an HP-55 (see this post). This may also be a solution for the Voyager logo.
06-28-2018, 06:33 PM
My 16C lost its chrome many years ago now. I'm in two minds whether I prefer it without, but I'll be interested to see any suggestions. Seems to me the problem is what would be a robust coating.

Perhaps I'm weird, but I always thought the badge should be the on/off button, freeing the on/off slot for another function button.
06-28-2018, 09:36 PM
(06-28-2018 06:33 PM)ColinJDenman Wrote:  Perhaps I'm weird, but I always thought the badge should be the on/off button, freeing the on/off slot for another function button.

The badge is the most prominent (sticks out the most) place on the entire front of the machine, which makes it a bad choice, since even sliding it into the pouch would likely turn the machine on. HP often went to great lengths to design the keys/keyboard to minimize such accidental power-ons, such as the lower-height of the ON key on the Voyager models, 48S/G series, 38G, 48gII/49g+/50g, 20b/30b, and 39gII, but oddly, not on the 39g/40g/49g machines, nor on the Prime.

So, not a good choice, but that doesn't make you weird for wondering about that, at least not weird for this crowd. Smile

--Bob Prosperi
06-29-2018, 08:15 PM
(06-28-2018 09:36 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  went to great lengths to design the keys/keyboard to minimize such accidental power-ons, such as the lower-height of the ON key on the Voyager models, 48S/G series, 38G, 48gII/49g+/50g, 20b/30b, and 39gII, but oddly, not on the 39g/40g/49g machines, nor on the Prime.

So, not a good choice, but that doesn't make you weird for wondering about that, at least not weird for this crowd. Smile

The rocker on my 41C was arguably *as* vulnerable since it was practically level with the surrounding bezel, but never had a problem with it. Still, I guess my chrome would have rubbed off the 16C a lot sooner if it had been the power :-}
07-07-2018, 04:13 AM (This post was last modified: 07-07-2018 04:14 AM by toml_12953.)
(06-28-2018 03:12 PM)damaltor Wrote:  Hi forum,
i am rebuilding an HP-15C from parts, more on that later. I have a logo badge, one of the newer plastic ones, which has lost quite some color over the years. is is already taken out of the calculator.
i would like to repaint it silver or white to make it pop out again. all my other voyagers are nice and shiny so this one has to shine, too. i might use white, because it looks similar enough and might be easier than finding "the correct" silver tone. also it could help in differentiating the device - it will be in everyday use next to a 16c.

My first try was to put modeling clay / play dough onto the logo and try to wipe it off while leaving it in the ridges, in the hope that i could then spray it with the can and remove the clay afterwards. the clay would not stay in the groves, or would cover up some of the elevated places too, so that was not a success.

any idea how to repaint this logo nicely?

attached: a bad photo of the logo, including clay leftovers inside the letters.

I'd use metal foil. It's a super-thin foil that is rubbed on and it's used by modelers to create chrome trim on scale models. It's shinier than any paint and you can actually see reflections in it. It's available in silver, black, gold, and copper at most modeling hobby sites such as https://www.bare-metal.com/bare-metal-foil.html. I have no connection with this particular site other than being a satisfied customer.

Tom L
Cui bono?
07-11-2018, 09:10 AM
Great Idea! Thanks!
07-11-2018, 04:11 PM (This post was last modified: 07-11-2018 08:13 PM by striegel.)
(07-07-2018 04:13 AM)toml_12953 Wrote:  I'd use metal foil. It's a super-thin foil that is rubbed on and it's used by modelers to create chrome trim on scale models. It's shinier than any paint and you can actually see reflections in it. It's available in silver, black, gold, and copper at most modeling hobby sites such as https://www.bare-metal.com/bare-metal-foil.html. I have no connection with this particular site other than being a satisfied customer.

It seems worth a try. I have ordered the chrome and gold offerings and plan to try them on an HP-12C and HP-15C when they arrive.

For both of these I already tried the Krylon leafing pens with poor results and on the 12C I also tried the Speedball Adhesive Pen Metal Leaf gold and it's not so good either.

Before I take another attempt, I plan to polish off all the remaining color and smooth the surface with extremely fine abrasive paper on a pane of glass (to keep the surface flat).

Alan

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)