Blue HP 50g for North America?
04-26-2014, 05:51 PM
Blue HP 50g for North America?
About a month ago I bought a blue HP 50g off of TAS. It was new in the blister pack, but right away I was a bit confused. The language on the pack was English, not Spanish. I was under the impression that the blue 50g was just for the Spanish market, see:
Thread on new blue HP 50g

Can anyone explain what is going on with these blue 50g's?
There is no serial number sticker on the calculator. The internal serial number text is,
"HP50 Serial Number: CNA1350976"

Thanks
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-26-2014, 09:16 PM
RE: Blue HP 50g for North America?
If you're blue and you don't know where to go to...
04-26-2014, 09:28 PM
(04-26-2014 05:51 PM)everettr Wrote:  Can anyone explain what is going on with these blue 50g's?
There is no serial number sticker on the calculator. The internal serial number text is,

Thanks

I bought one last year with very similar conditions. English pkg, manuals, HP flyer, etc. (it even had an English USB cable), no s/n sticker on the back, and internal s/n is CNA1370216.

It's only speculation, but I would guess that using English packaging let HP sell a single SKU/pkg into multiple markets, wihtout having to tailor it to each market, forecast and manage individual market production batches, etc. So while not perfect for each market, it's "equally imperfect" for all markets. Ironically though, it was never sold in any English speaking markets (that I'm aware of).

The colors of the shift key labels on the blue 50g are, imho, about the worst contrast for an HP Calc. Except for the 49g. And the 49g+. And the Prime. Umm, never mind. No need to raise that religious war.

--Bob Prosperi
04-27-2014, 02:33 AM
(04-26-2014 09:28 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  
(04-26-2014 05:51 PM)everettr Wrote:  Can anyone explain what is going on with these blue 50g's?

Thanks

I bought one last year with very similar conditions. English pkg, manuals, HP flyer, etc. (it even had an English USB cable), no s/n sticker on the back, and internal s/n is CNA1370216.

It's only speculation, but I would guess that using English packaging let HP sell a single SKU/pkg into multiple markets, wihtout having to tailor it to each market, forecast and manage individual market production batches, etc. So while not perfect for each market, it's "equally imperfect" for all markets. Ironically though, it was never sold in any English speaking markets (that I'm aware of).

The colors of the shift key labels on the blue 50g are, imho, about the worst contrast for an HP Calc. Except for the 49g. And the 49g+. And the Prime. Umm, never mind. No need to raise that religious war.

English USB? Like you have to plug it upside down on the left side of the PC?

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)