The RCL40 Book
12-13-2022, 04:56 PM
RE: The RCL40 Book
(12-09-2022 09:12 PM)Guenter Schink Wrote:  No, one has to differentiate between VAT on import and customs tariffs. The idea is that goods sent from one country to another are exempt from VAT in the sending country while VAT is charged in the receiving country. That's even possible within the EU. If the article wasn't subject to VAT in the sending country, VAT in the receiving country applies, but normally this doesn't happen because it implies additional superfluous paperwork. Each country in the EU sets its own VAT.

Now, different countries have different limits for tax threshold. Thus it may happen that you have to pay 7% VAT on import for books (normal VAT is 19% in Germany)- no threshold anymore in Germany (it used to be ~30€) - and nothing in Ireland - don't know of any threshold there.

There are no specific VAT coming from for specific countries.

Custom is applied only if a certain value is exceeded. These custom rates are equal throughout the EU and other countries in the CU (customs union) e.g. Switzerland or Norway. The tariffs are dependent on the nature of the goods. E.g. Books=0% DVD-Player=13.9% Bicycles=15%.

It doesn't have to do anything with Brexit.

HTH Günter

We see the impact of VAT differences with some vendors like Amazon, which can actually be very confusing. The indicated price takes into account the VAT of the website's country - for instance it will usually be 20% on amazon.fr. Only after the customer confirms the order does the price adjusts to the destination country's VAT. The worst is that they are unable to explain it when asked about it, and answer it's due to the fluctuating prices instead. Big Grin

Switzerland and Norway are not in the CU either, but maybe I misunderstood what you meant.

The annoying part of customs is not only the clearance fees and the rates for some articles, but also the induced delay, the frequent damages made by inspection or mysteriously missing items. I had my share of those.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-13-2022, 06:58 PM
(12-13-2022 04:56 PM)redglyph Wrote:  Switzerland and Norway are not in the CU either, but maybe I misunderstood what you meant.

Oh yes you're right.

Günter
12-15-2022, 09:59 AM (This post was last modified: 12-15-2022 10:20 AM by redglyph.)
(12-05-2022 11:13 AM)pier4r Wrote:  A question for the fellow Hp lovers living in the EU. Since UK left the union, I know that there is the possibility to pay custom duties, and I wouldn't mind those if I didn't have to travel to the warehouse to pick the item (quite away from my place). I am unaware of the details about the UK-EU relationship, hence do we need to pay custom duties for the book? (Could be that some agreements were left in place, thus the question)

Here I had to pay 27.51€, no less, but for both books, so almost 60%. 15€ for the clearance and 12.51€ for the VAT - which includes the shipping and clearance fee, so it has something to do with Brexit after all. I'm not sure it's possible to reclaim the items at the customs ourselves, at least I've never been offered this choice. 15€ for the time and the journey there seems to be OK, so I'm not complaining about that part. The tax part, on the other hand, seems exaggerated, it's really paying the TVA on the shipping one more time and a part on the article itself since the VAT of the origin country hasn't been removed. But it's not the first time the customs are abusing their position; I've already tried to complain and show them the mistakes in the past but it's useless unless one hires a lawyer, they just don't reply.
12-16-2022, 08:22 PM
Hi,
For anyone with a USA postal mailing address, the HPCC guys have been sending me bulk copies of RCL40 in order to make them available for reduced shipping costs. Please check here.
Thanks,
Jake
01-01-2023, 05:15 PM
RE: The RCL40 Book - Any more U.S. Takers?
Hi - I have four copies of RCL40 remaining from that second batch of ten, available to those with a U.S. postal mailing address for a significantly discounted shipping rate. For additional information, please check here.

Jake
01-03-2023, 01:29 AM
Thank you - my copy of RCL40 came in last week!

Smile

Words do not describe how it is to be part of this elite group. Endless gratitude.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-05-2023, 09:08 PM
My copies (RCL20 & RCL40) sent by Bruce on Dec 14th arrived here on Jan 3rd. 3.10€ VAT and 6€ handling fee by Deutsche Post.

Günter
01-16-2023, 07:13 PM
Hi all,
My copies of RCL40 and RCL20 sent on Decmeber 14th just arrived here in Rabat, Morocco (January 16th).
No extra fees to pay to the customs.

Cordialement, Sincerely, 73
Boubker.

HP41C,CV/HP48SX/HP42s/HP32Sii/DM15L/DM41L/DM41X/DM42
01-20-2023, 01:57 PM
(11-23-2022 09:42 AM)redglyph Wrote:  I've tried to reach them but no feedback so far either, it's probably one person who may be busy with other things too.
Mine arrived. Looking forward to reading it. Just be patient, if you haven't received it already.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-25-2023, 06:02 PM
Hi Again,
Currently, there are three RCL40 book copies remaining available for those with U.S. postal mailing addresses, for a discount of over $10.00 as compared to ordering copies directly from hpcc.org. For information, check here. To reiterate, this is in coordination with the British HPCC group and I do not make any money from these.

Thanks,
Jake
03-11-2023, 08:36 PM
If anyone is interested in obtaining a copy of the HPCC's "RCL40" Book and you have a U.S. mailing address, I still have copies remaining for a significantly discounted charge on shipping. Please check http://www.pahhc.org/2022/RCL40_Ordering.htm for the details. (I make no money on these copies)
Thanks,
Jake
05-09-2023, 03:13 PM
Any more U.S. takers for the RCL40 book?

If anyone is interested in obtaining a copy of the HPCC's "RCL40" Book and you have a U.S. mailing address, I still have copies remaining for a significantly discounted charge on shipping. Please check http://www.pahhc.org/2022/RCL40_Ordering.htm for the details. (I make no money on these copies)
Thanks,
Jake
05-10-2023, 07:11 AM (This post was last modified: 05-10-2023 07:12 AM by EdS2.)
Allow me to say that the book is well worth a read - I bought both RCL20 and RCL40 together, and was not disappointed - RCL40 as it happens has about twice as many pages. Recommended!
07-08-2023, 11:45 PM (This post was last modified: 07-08-2023 11:46 PM by Jake Schwartz.)
Hi,
Are there any additional folks from the U.S. who are interested in obtaining a copy of the British Handheld and Portable Computer Club's 40th-anniversary book, RCL40? I still have copies remaining for a significantly discounted charge on shipping. Please check here for the details. (I make no money on these copies)
Thanks,
Jake
01-14-2024, 04:24 AM (This post was last modified: 01-15-2024 05:27 PM by cmholm.)
[Update: I've responded to an offer] I've only become aware of RCL 40 this last week, with the HPCC's ordering page (https://www.hpcc.org/rcl40/) announcement that as of November 2023, they were out of stock and working with their printer on a second run. If anyone is "done" with their copy and would like to recoup the cost, I'd be happy to purchase it from you.
01-15-2024, 01:42 AM
(01-14-2024 04:24 AM)cmholm Wrote:  I've only become aware of RCL 40 this last week, with the HPCC's ordering page (https://www.hpcc.org/rcl40/) announcement that as of November 2023, they were out of stock and working with their printer on a second run. If anyone is "done" with their copy and would like to recoup the cost, I'd be happy to purchase it from you.

PM sent.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)