HP 34C for sale [SOLD]
04-16-2023, 02:22 AM (This post was last modified: 04-26-2023 12:05 PM by LesP.)
HP 34C for sale [SOLD]
I purchased this unit new in 1980 & used it for many years before it was retired to the cupboard. It’s still works (amazingly) with the only damage being a cracked case from using non std 50mm NiCAD batteries. Battery cover also doesn’t clip in (not sure why) & 2 missing non skid pads.

Interested in what forum members believe it is worth as is “working” or as spare parts.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-16-2023, 12:47 PM
RE: HP 34C for sale
(04-16-2023 02:22 AM)LesP Wrote:  Interested in what forum members believe it is worth as is “working” or as spare parts.

Are you listing this here to sell it to a member, or just looking for pricing ideas to go sell it on eBay or similar site? If the former, great; there's lots of people looking for a 34C. As you're new here, you may not know that the latter is generally not encouraged, and while not explicitly prohibited, we discourage it to avoid MoHPC becoming a marketing tool for sellers.

Also, as the back is damaged, it would be important to include a photo of that area in the photos you post.

Good luck

--Bob Prosperi
04-16-2023, 01:02 PM
Hi Bob,

Thanks very much for your feedback & appreciate the guidance to a new member of the forum. Very much want it to go to a good home - someone who will appreciate it for what it is & intend selling to a forum member.

Have now added a photo of the back side showing the crack as suggested.

Les

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

04-17-2023, 12:09 PM
Happy to help and glad you took it the right way.

While the original battery cells are obviously long gone, a buyer may also want to know if you still have the battery pack frame part(s), to assemble a new pack with new cells. Most folks usually toss out the entire pack, but it's good to know as they may then have to also buy a battery pack (eBay). As you discovered, using normal AA cells with button tops is not good for the unit, and amazingly, it appears your battery tabs have survived intact.

Good luck.

--Bob Prosperi
04-18-2023, 08:12 AM
(04-16-2023 02:22 AM)LesP Wrote:  Interested in what forum members believe it is worth as is “working” or as spare parts.

I couldn't possibly say what it is "worth", but I would be willing to pay $25 for it, plus postage. I'd definitely be using it as parts, to build a 30-series test and debug platform, like I've already been doing for the Woodstock and Nut generation chips. I fully expect that it would fetch more than that on the auction site.

I'd actually been recently considering how to kludge up some zero-insertion-force test sockets for 30-series chips that have the right-angle lead form used in the earlier solderless assembly style. The 34C was the last model of the series, so I'm not sure if any 34C were made using the solderless assembly. Dealing with the normal DIP chips is a lot less hassle, but ultimately I'll need to deal with both.

Part of what I'm trying to do is collect information for more accurate microcode-level simulation (poking at dark corners of the architecture), and part of it is to identify which ROM and RAM address ranges are stored in which of the eight-pin chips. For the 30-series, I know the total memory address ranges for each model, but don't have it pinned down to individual chips.
04-22-2023, 05:30 AM
P. M. Semt

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)