NEW: HP 15C Collectors Edition
05-02-2023, 01:42 PM (This post was last modified: 05-02-2023 01:44 PM by Chumango.)
RE: NEW: HP 15C Collectors Edition
(05-02-2023 01:31 PM)Dave Britten Wrote:  Hopefully this sells well enough that we get a 42SII/42S+ next!

Yes! This! If they want to recognize the history of HP with an iconic model then this, in addition to the 15C, would certainly do it. The 15C is low hanging fruit since they already make the basic frame with the 12C. The 42S would be more work.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-02-2023, 01:42 PM
(05-02-2023 01:41 PM)Gene Wrote:  The 15c CE manual is also going to be something to behold. Just wait for that!

Meaning, that a fully and unabridged paper manual will be included in the package we are pre-ordering, correct? (Spiral bound?)
05-02-2023, 01:49 PM
Just booked few minutes ago !
05-02-2023, 02:02 PM
(05-02-2023 12:53 PM)JDW Wrote:  
(05-02-2023 09:36 AM)KlaasKuperus Wrote:  And yes, if this first Collectors Edition proofs as a success, we will certainly be considering more! Smile

That is very encouraging to hear because a 16C Collector's Edition would be wonderful. I say that because I tend to use BIN/HEX/DEC conversions the most these days with my 48GX, 50g and 28S. :-)

By the way, the Eduwinkel link in the opening post is dead.

Also, when I click on The Calculator store and add it to a Cart, in the left sidebar, it says...

Free Delivery 0.00 €

Anywhere in the world shipping is free, or is this in error?

Also, the "Leather Case" is a bit confusing. It says "Leather Case Standard." The most common interpretation of that wording is that the Leather Case is included free of charge as a Standard item. But there's a popup dialog that allows you to choose "With true leather case." What does that even mean? The Standard case is fake, and if you want "real" you can add that for an extra 19 Euros?

The link https://www.eduwinkel.nl/hp-15c-collecto...lator.html works fine here?

Product Manager HP for MORAVIA Consulting, the EMEA & AP Licensee for HP Calculators.

http://www.hpcalcs.com
05-02-2023, 02:04 PM
(05-02-2023 12:53 PM)JDW Wrote:  
(05-02-2023 09:36 AM)KlaasKuperus Wrote:  And yes, if this first Collectors Edition proofs as a success, we will certainly be considering more! Smile

That is very encouraging to hear because a 16C Collector's Edition would be wonderful. I say that because I tend to use BIN/HEX/DEC conversions the most these days with my 48GX, 50g and 28S. :-)

By the way, the Eduwinkel link in the opening post is dead.

Also, when I click on The Calculator store and add it to a Cart, in the left sidebar, it says...

Free Delivery 0.00 €

Anywhere in the world shipping is free, or is this in error?

Also, the "Leather Case" is a bit confusing. It says "Leather Case Standard." The most common interpretation of that wording is that the Leather Case is included free of charge as a Standard item. But there's a popup dialog that allows you to choose "With true leather case." What does that even mean? The Standard case is fake, and if you want "real" you can add that for an extra 19 Euros?

Hi, the unclear case options have been changed: now the variable is called "case", and can be Standard (PU) or Leather. The leather case comes in addition - the standard case is in the box anyway!
05-02-2023, 02:41 PM
(05-02-2023 01:42 PM)JDW Wrote:  Meaning, that a fully and unabridged paper manual will be included in the package we are pre-ordering, correct? (Spiral bound?)

A full, unabridged paper manual is included in the package.

It is not spiral bound - wish it were, but ...

The Calculator Store has the PDF of the manual up on the site.
05-02-2023, 02:50 PM
Strangely, it seems that the total size of all matrix elements is still limited to 64, and not eg. 96.
I can understand that a single matrix may not exceed 64 elements (because of the way pivots are encoded) - but why can't the extra memory be used on matrices?
Werner

41CV†,42S,48GX,49G,DM42,DM41X,17BII,15CE,DM15L,12C,16CE
05-02-2023, 03:34 PM
(05-02-2023 01:41 PM)Gene Wrote:  As Bob said, the existing bugs from the 15c LE were provided to Moravia and they are not in the 15c CE.

So, what are the new bugs, then?

:)

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-02-2023, 03:50 PM
Glad to see again calculator like HP-15C!

S.Korean / HP-50G | fx-570EX | fx-570CW | HP-200LX
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-02-2023, 04:47 PM
I would like to ask if these are going to be available in stores like Amazon, Alza?
05-02-2023, 05:05 PM
(05-02-2023 09:36 AM)KlaasKuperus Wrote:  It will be widely available soon but these 2 channels run our pre-orders.
Just to be clear... there will be standard distribution in the US? Someone that orders in enough bulk to offset the cost of overseas shipping?

I'm definitely up for one, maybe two of these. But I don't need to pay ~40 Euro for the privilege of getting one from the first batch.
05-02-2023, 06:35 PM (This post was last modified: 05-02-2023 09:05 PM by ljubo.)
New 15C - good news. Have two questions:
Expected battery life - any hints?
Would it be possible to update the firmware?

HP-15C, DM15L, HP-35S, DM42
05-02-2023, 07:10 PM
Great news.

Ordered.

My site http://www.emmella.fr
05-02-2023, 08:10 PM
(05-02-2023 04:47 PM)PeterMikus Wrote:  I would like to ask if these are going to be available in stores like Amazon, Alza?

Standard distribution will be available for these units very soon, we are currently in the proces of informing distributors and resellers and expect them to be available in the next few weeks. Not sure about Amazon or Alza specifically, depends on the (local) distributors.

Product Manager HP for MORAVIA Consulting, the EMEA & AP Licensee for HP Calculators.

http://www.hpcalcs.com
05-02-2023, 09:54 PM
It's certainly not a big deal and I'm sure it's too late to change, but am I the only one that doesn't care for the "Collector's Edition" insignia under the logo? It just clutters up the elegance of the faceplate IMO.
05-02-2023, 11:01 PM
Seeing the Collector Edition hitting the market can be a great news, I have a question though :

What is the quality level of this new calculator? Compared to the original 15C and also with respect to the 15C LE which iirc had key issues. Has anyone seen it, touched it and can vouch it's a great product?

For example, are the key dual molded injection plastic or printed?

I've already seen the batteries are CR5032 like the LE, and not SR44 like the original (bummer).

I know many are very exited about this new product. As HP collectors, one thing we love about HP products is their ORIGINAL quality. We all know the latest 12C (Platinum), the 15C Le, or the HP Prime don't meet the same standards (15yr battery life, dual molded injected keys, readable keyboard (Prime I'm looking at you)...

When I see Collector Edition, but nothing else ensuring me that the products actually meets the quality standards an HP collector would expect, perdon me, but I can't help but think it's a nice business opportunity to sell cheap devices to collectors at collectors price.

If that were the case, it would definitely be disappointing and IMHO, not aligned with HP original spirit.

Sorry for feeling that way, I am excited, but also suspicious on the ability to meet the original quality standards today, quality that we as collectors are seeking. (IMHO).

My calculator collection
05-02-2023, 11:21 PM
(05-02-2023 11:01 PM)adumont Wrote:  For example, are the key dual molded injection plastic or printed?
This came up in a reddit thread on /r/calculators today and user "rechlin" (probably known here too) said he's been involved in development and that the keys are painted/printed.

I can't say I have too much of a problem with this given that I'm not an 80's engineer that's going to be beating down a 15C day in and day out. I'd use it occasionally but I can't imagine I'd wear on it that hard. Injection molded keys would be amazing, of course. But really... what's the practical impact?

Could one could transfer vintage injection-molded keys into the new chassis if they were motivated enough to do so? Dunno.
05-03-2023, 12:01 AM
I personally would have an issue with painted keys versus molded ones, despite the fact that I’m no longer in the 1980s.

I do a lot of work on keys of various kinds. And I can tell you, in almost every case, painted keys reveal their inferior quality over time when the painted portions start to disappear or disappear completely. It really tarnishes an otherwise great item.

I can’t really emphasize enough how important that one point is for me.

But there’s actually more. I like the fact that the keys are physically shaped in the same way the original keys are, but do they feel the same when pressed, and do they make the same sound as the original high-quality original key switches do? That is another “key consideration” (ha, ha) that perhaps doesn’t bother some people but would be something that I myself will keep an eagle eye on.

KEYS MATTER
05-03-2023, 12:27 AM
(05-02-2023 11:21 PM)tppytel Wrote:  
(05-02-2023 11:01 PM)adumont Wrote:  For example, are the key dual molded injection plastic or printed?
This came up in a reddit thread on /r/calculators today and user "rechlin" (probably known here too) said he's been involved in development and that the keys are painted/printed.

He also said that "quality is comparable to the current 12C".
So now the question is: what is the keyboard quality of the current 12C?

Jean-Charles
05-03-2023, 01:05 AM
I’m buying one regardless but someone has to know what the keyboard response is like even if it’s just on the preproduction units.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)