CAS & 48SX/GX
10-10-2023, 06:00 AM
CAS & 48SX/GX
Hi. Now that CAS is a thing, I’m reflecting on the 48 series and 50g.

From what I see in the symbolic expression manipulations in the menus for the 48 series and 50G, I would think those functionalities would be what CAS is? I would have thought the 48/50 models would be classified as a CAS calculator.

So, are they CAS related? If not, why not?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-10-2023, 06:43 AM
RE: CAS & 48SX/GX
From the Wikipedia entry for Computer Algebra System (CAS).

“In 1987, Hewlett-Packard introduced the first hand-held calculator CAS with the HP-28 series, and it was possible, for the first time in a calculator,[1] to arrange algebraic expressions, differentiation, limited symbolic integration, Taylor series construction and a solver for algebraic equations.”

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_algebra_system
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-10-2023, 11:09 AM (This post was last modified: 10-10-2023 11:09 AM by Maximilian Hohmann.)
Hello!

Just one warning: If you want to experiment/play/toy around with CAS, stay away from the 48SX (and especially the 28C). The equation editor is next to unuseable by today's (spoilt) standards and the processing speed and memory limitations will strain even a quiet person's patience to the maximum. Add to that the awful "lowest possible"-contrast display of the 48SX and you will be looking forward to an afternoon full of joy and excitement...

Regards
Max
10-10-2023, 03:05 PM (This post was last modified: 10-10-2023 07:18 PM by carey.)
(10-10-2023 06:00 AM)Matt Agajanian Wrote:  Now that CAS is a thing...

For the past few decades :)

(10-10-2023 06:00 AM)Matt Agajanian Wrote:  From what I see in the symbolic expression manipulations in the menus for the 48 series and 50G, I would think those functionalities would be what CAS is? I would have thought the 48/50 models would be classified as a CAS calculator.
So, are they CAS related? If not, why not?

To answer this question it's helpful to distinguish between the 48 and 50 models and between de jure vs de facto (i.e., technical vs common) use of the label "CAS" (computer algebra system).

While the 28 and 48 models meet Wikipedia's technical definition of CAS because they include (limited) symbolic operations, common usage of the "CAS" label usually requires more than limited symbolics. The presence of symbolic matrices is often a useful dividing line to help distinguish "CAS" from limited symbolics models. Symbolic matrices are not built-in to the 28 or 48 models (which were not advertised as CAS models), but they are in the 49 (which was advertised as a CAS model) as the 48 CAS programs Erable and Alg48 are built-ins on the 49g.

To further support the above view on the distinction between technical and common usage of the CAS label, i.e., "symbolics" vs "CAS", consider the 39g/gs vs the 40g/gs. The 39g/gs include limited symbolics, e.g., they can perform symbolic derivatives and limited symbolic integrals and Taylor expansions (like the 48 models), but only the 40g/gs models were advertised as CAS models as they include symbolic matrices and most of the expanded symbolic capabilities of the 49g (but only in algebra mode). This isn't surprising since the 39g/40g use (and the 39gs/40gs emulate) the Saturn processor used in the 49g.
10-10-2023, 03:45 PM
(10-10-2023 11:09 AM)Maximilian Hohmann Wrote:  Add to that the awful "lowest possible"-contrast display of the 48SX and you will be looking forward to an afternoon full of joy and excitement...
Regards
Max

Aha, not me! For my beloved SX has black LCD, and the best keyboard ever in a calculator! Ok, some gentleman from Italy will say that the 41 has the best keyboard, and maybe he's right.

As for speed, at my age, who cares?

As for the 28, it is not really a CAS, I suppose...

Cheers
10-10-2023, 04:17 PM
(10-10-2023 03:45 PM)Jlouis Wrote:  
(10-10-2023 11:09 AM)Maximilian Hohmann Wrote:  Add to that the awful "lowest possible"-contrast display of the 48SX and you will be looking forward to an afternoon full of joy and excitement...
Regards
Max

Aha, not me! For my beloved SX has black LCD, and the best keyboard ever in a calculator! Ok, some gentleman from Italy will say that the 41 has the best keyboard, and maybe he's right.

[Image: emoji-emoticon-whistling-tune-happily-ca....jpg?w=768]

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
10-10-2023, 04:37 PM
(10-10-2023 04:17 PM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote:  
(10-10-2023 03:45 PM)Jlouis Wrote:  Aha, not me! For my beloved SX has black LCD, and the best keyboard ever in a calculator! Ok, some gentleman from Italy will say that the 41 has the best keyboard, and maybe he's right.

[Image: emoji-emoticon-whistling-tune-happily-ca....jpg?w=768]

Massimo! Forgive me, I forgot your name! I'm old....

Cheers from Brazil
10-10-2023, 06:17 PM
(10-10-2023 04:37 PM)Jlouis Wrote:  Massimo! Forgive me, I forgot your name! I'm old....

Cheers from Brazil

Forgive what? And I bet I'm older. Big Grin

Greetings from Italy!

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)