Learning to input programs on HP-41
10-16-2023, 01:20 AM
Learning to input programs on HP-41
I am playing with the DM41X learning how to enter programs. I thought I would try entering one of the programs from the PPC ROM and am finding it frustrating to try and convert from printer listing symbols to keyboard entry. I have attached the program I am trying to enter.

After much effort I figured out how to enter line 10, the R^. Lines 6,9,13,15 have me stumped. I know it is a conditional test but what is the character after the != ? How is this entered on the keyboard?

Thanks!

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-16-2023, 02:40 AM
RE: Learning to input programs on HP-41
Those are synthetic lines, not conditional tests but swapping x with synthetic registers. Not easy to enter through the keyboard without jumping through some hoops.
You can read Bill Wickes’ book (for example) to learn about it, but I’d suggest you pick a program without synthetic lines to start your journey.
10-16-2023, 03:03 AM (This post was last modified: 10-16-2023 03:10 AM by Sylvain Cote.)
Hello Jeff,

You did not start with the easiest program to learn your program entry.
As mentioned in the previous post, these are synthetic lines and cannot be directly entered, without some help, from the keyboard.
You need either the byte grabber or one of the specialty module (ex.: ZenROM, etc) to create these synthetic instructions.

I would suggest to start with one of the HP-41 Solutions Books that only use normal instructions. (ex.: Games, Games II, etc)

Sylvain

References:

Sylvain Côté
10-16-2023, 03:39 AM
I'd highly recommend using the ZenROM module, it makes entering synthetic programming instructions directly from the keyboard very easy and it's also easy to load the module into the DM41X.

You can see a simple example of entering a synthetic program using the ZenROM module with a real 41C in the video below. The process is the same for the DM41X (once you load the ZenROM module).

https://youtu.be/Xsohclu9cXI?si=PW78abymu4LnCrj7

Calculator Clique on YouTube
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-16-2023, 12:17 PM
Thanks everyone. I had just worked my way through Volume 1 of the HP-41CX owner's manual and thus did not recognize the synthetic programing lines. It was not my intention to get into that at this time, one must crawl before they walk Smile

My original idea was to take advantage of the larger screen of the DM41X to display a binary, octal, hex, decimal representation of a number entered. Designated keys on the user keyboard would be used to specify the 'from' base and call the correct bits of code to set register 6 for the PPC ROM 'BD' and 'DB' functions. I downloaded the PPC ROM but alas my DM41X does not like any of the 6 micro-USB cables I have on hand, so I was not able to transfer the ROM, thus trying to type it in. New USB cable others have suggested should arrive today.

In the meantime, I can occupy myself doing more reading from Sylvain's suggestions and trying some other smaller ideas.
10-16-2023, 12:35 PM
(10-16-2023 12:17 PM)Jeff_Birt Wrote:  Thanks everyone. I had just worked my way through Volume 1 of the HP-41CX owner's manual and thus did not recognize the synthetic programing lines. It was not my intention to get into that at this time, one must crawl before they walk Smile

My original idea was to take advantage of the larger screen of the DM41X to display a binary, octal, hex, decimal representation of a number entered. Designated keys on the user keyboard would be used to specify the 'from' base and call the correct bits of code to set register 6 for the PPC ROM 'BD' and 'DB' functions. I downloaded the PPC ROM but alas my DM41X does not like any of the 6 micro-USB cables I have on hand, so I was not able to transfer the ROM, thus trying to type it in. New USB cable others have suggested should arrive today.

In the meantime, I can occupy myself doing more reading from Sylvain's suggestions and trying some other smaller ideas.

The shape of the DM4x models can sometimes interfere with the micro-USB connector making sufficiently deep connection. On some cables, you can simply shave some plastic from the the head shell around the connector, and this may allow deeper insertion. Another approach is to use a micro-USB cable with an extra-long tip, which sounds rare and expensive, but amazon has them for < $&:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013CX6XO8

It's well worth sorting out as the power of the 41X is scant until you load some of the hundreds of 41 ROM modules. Once you get basic 41 operations down, look at Angel Martin's AMC-OSX ROM, which adds many OS enhancements that make using the 41 easier.

--Bob Prosperi
10-16-2023, 12:49 PM
Thanks Bob. I first tried shaving the over molding on a connector so it would fully seat. I got a power connection but no recognition from the PC that a new USB device had been plugged in, no sound, nothing in Device Manager. Going into Diagnostics on the DM41X USB stat=1 does not change but pwr=0 changes to pwr=1 when the USB cable is plugged in.

I then removed the DM41X back to avoid any interference problems. Still no joy. I purchased the cable you linked to; saw your recommendation on the SM forum. Looks like it will be here tomorrow rather than today. If that does not work I'll try to trace the USB signals through to the DM41X uC.
10-16-2023, 01:09 PM
Hopefully the new cable will work, however if not, definitely reach out to Michael and let him know your 41X is defective, he will take care of you, likely sending a new PCB since that's easy for your skills.

While that would avoid a no-doubt interesting adventure chasing signals on the board, you probably do enough of that on machines where warranty repair isn't an option. Smile

--Bob Prosperi

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)