Need help with print / Java based HP 82240A simulator
10-16-2023, 07:13 PM
Need help with print / Java based HP 82240A simulator
Hello

My question: How can I produce print output from either an HP 50G, or an HP 41C (DM41X) that produces:
  • Underlined text
  • Double wide text
  • Text and / or graphics that is wider than 166 pixels before a CR is sent

Background:

In the 80ies, I was a TI 59 user, and I was very jealous of my neighbors HP 41C machine. This is why I am a total n00b on HP calculators. To relieve some of this old jealousy, I recently bought a DM41X, and also an HP 50g. I also got an 82240A printer.

I built an IR receiver using material that I found in this forum, and it works great. My main machine is an m2 Mac Mini, and so the existing Windows based HP84440B simulator by Christoph Gießelink is hard to get running there.

This is why I want to build a simulator using Java, which would run under Mac, Windows and Linux (e.g. on a Raspberry Pi). It is currently a command line only application without GUI, but it does produce output (see at the bottom).

To see how the original printer behaves, I need to send more than just a print screen, or a sample PRPLOT output to its infrared port. Apart from some very basic stuff (e.g. "PRVAR" on the HP 50G), I couldn't figure out how to do this. Ideally there is software around that performs complex print operations.

Screenshot from the HP 50g:

Output from the DM41X running the "PRPLOT" demo:

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)