Unusual HP-75
12-01-2023, 08:44 PM
Unusual HP-75
There is an unusual (for me) HP-75 being shown on TAS:

"Vintage HP Hewlett Packard CE Pocket Computer with Accessories"

https://www.ebay.com/itm/256326174351?ha...R-qP3PGEYw

Until now, I've never heard of an HP CE Pocket Computer, but the HP Guide in the photo seems to bear this out as a real thing.

smp
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-01-2023, 08:58 PM
RE: Unusual HP-75
It is an HP 75 with a 'Fireman' terminal package and KB overlay. I seem to recall these were used by HP service engineers for something. I'm sure others will know more.
12-01-2023, 09:22 PM (This post was last modified: 12-01-2023 09:22 PM by twoweims.)
I hope whoever wins this auction will loan the documentation to Eric for scanning!

My Collection: 55, 67T, 25PLP, 34C, 15C, 16C, 41CV, 41CX, 41-CL, DM41X, DM42, 42S, 48G, 71B, 75C, 95LX, HP-150, Portable+, HP-86, Integral PC.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-01-2023, 09:30 PM
(12-01-2023 09:22 PM)twoweims Wrote:  I hope whoever wins this auction will loan the documentation to Eric for scanning!

I put it on my watchlist but suspect it will eclipse my budget. Especailly with $75 for shipping (a bit of a con job there.)
12-01-2023, 10:14 PM
For me the shipping is showing $87.93 (maybe I'm a little farther than you, twoweims) but that should be for overnight shipping, and with a service more expensive than the post office.  But "pocket computer"??  I'm not sure I've ever seen a pocket big enough for a 75.  Maybe it's a pocket of a backpack or computer case, not pants, and definitely not a shirt.  (I have a very beat-up 75 someone gave me.)

http://WilsonMinesCo.com (Lots of HP-41 links at the bottom of the links page, http://wilsonminesco.com/links.html )
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-02-2023, 12:49 AM
99% of the time folks who put in these absurd shipping prices are hoping that no one notices until they have already bought it. Shipping is stated as FedEx Ground. A low starting bid and absurd shipping a classic ebay con.
12-02-2023, 01:23 PM
I've been watching this one. The overlay is not new, it shows up about once a year on eBay, but the docs look interesting and of course the acoustic coupler today won't connect to anything except another 75 running the same. It's close enough to me I can pickup for free, but about the last thing I need is another 75... A shame the mag-cards are not included, might be interesting to see...

--Bob Prosperi
12-03-2023, 04:52 PM (This post was last modified: 12-03-2023 04:53 PM by Maximilian Hohmann.)
Hello!
(12-02-2023 12:49 AM)Jeff_Birt Wrote:  99% of the time folks who put in these absurd shipping prices are hoping that no one notices until they have already bought it. Shipping is stated as FedEx Ground. A low starting bid and absurd shipping a classic ebay con.

I had a look at the offer and really don't think that these people want to rip-off customers with shipping fees. They seem to be a genuine charity running a thrift store and normally sell their items over the counter. These shipping quotes (to Europe it says: 279$... ) are about the same that I will get if I call UPS or Fedex as a private person, at least around here. I am pretty sure that they will provide a more realistic shipping quote if one asks for it.
A very interesting calculator, but I don't need anothe 75C either. And an acoustic coupler even less so as there is nothing left to test it with... Not the kind of telephone receiver that fits and not the kind of analog telephone line that will transmit the sound without filtering them away.

Regards
Max
12-03-2023, 05:37 PM (This post was last modified: 12-03-2023 05:49 PM by Sylvain Cote.)
(12-03-2023 04:52 PM)Maximilian Hohmann Wrote:  And an acoustic coupler even less so as there is nothing left to test it with...
Not the kind of telephone receiver that fits and not the kind of analog telephone line that will transmit the sound without filtering them away.

I am using Teltone telephone line simulator (TLS) for testing old analog phone/modem/equipment. (Wikipedia, Website, TLS-5 models, TLS-5C/5D manual, eBay)

Sylvain Côté
12-03-2023, 05:42 PM
(12-03-2023 04:52 PM)Maximilian Hohmann Wrote:  I had a look at the offer and really don't think that these people want to rip-off customers with shipping fees. They seem to be a genuine charity running a thrift store and normally sell their items over the counter. These shipping quotes (to Europe it says: 279$... ) are about the same that I will get if I call UPS or Fedex as a private person, at least around here. I am pretty sure that they will provide a more realistic shipping quote if one asks for it.

Their shipping prices are greatly inflated. A small box like that from NJ to MO would be $25 at most. I can ship a 5kg box express to Spain for $100.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)