New here
03-25-2024, 02:57 AM
New here
Hi all. Does anyone enjoy programming HP calculators like hp48, hp49 and hp50 in User RPL? I did some experimenting uan about ten years ago (I have my years too unfortunately!) and it seemed slow but nice! And then compared to the usual Basic-like of Casio and TI it is really well packed with commands! Unfortunately now HP has abandoned the scientific/graphical calculators saving only the Prime. See you soon!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-25-2024, 06:45 PM
RE: New here
(03-25-2024 02:57 AM)Kahuna Wrote:  Hi all. Does anyone enjoy programming HP calculators like hp48, hp49 and hp50 in User RPL?

Welcome aboard, Kahuna!

You should check out the General Software Library as well as the Articles Forum. You'll need to browse a bit to see how people have titled their entries so you know what to search for.

What model(s) in particular are you most interested in?

I think you'll find that there are 2 largely distinct subcultures here, with a 3rd weird minority (which I find that I'm a member of...
  1. Rabid RPL-lovers
  2. Rabid RPL-haters
  3. Weirdos who tolerate RPL but love the machines that implement it.

The ribbing between the groups can get a little rough, but that's to be expected among those who are passionate about their obsessions, so don't let that put you off. Folks here are some of the nicest you'll ever meet, and always available to lend a helping hand!

Daily drivers: 15c, 32sII, 35s, 41cx, 48g, WP 34s/31s. Favorite: 16c.
Latest: 15ce, 48s, 50g. Gateway drug: 28s found in yard sale ~2009.
03-25-2024, 08:56 PM
Also have a look at hpcalc.org, which has sections for the 48 and 49/50 series containing thousands of programs, and much more info including virtually every known book and manual for HP calculators.
03-26-2024, 05:21 PM
(03-25-2024 06:45 PM)johnb Wrote:  I think you'll find that there are 2 largely distinct subcultures here, with a 3rd weird minority (which I find that I'm a member of...
  1. Rabid RPL-lovers
  2. Rabid RPL-haters
  3. Weirdos who tolerate RPL but love the machines that implement it.

Fellow weirdo here. I find RPL painful to use for writing any large application, but I love how much the design totally eliminates the distinction between "keyboard operation" and "programmed operation", allowing for extending the base system as you see fit. So I'll put up with it if I'm writing either programs to simply take in some arguments and calculate a result, or very small utilities. If I need to write a graphing calculator program with a complicated user interface, I'm going to reach for a TI or Casio.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)