copy program from rom module in emu71
03-31-2024, 07:28 PM
copy program from rom module in emu71
Dear all,

I installed a virtual rom in emu71 and was wondering if I could extract a program from rom to main memory in emu71 and save it on a virtual disk to upload it to a physical HP71. That worked for a part: after running the program from rom on emu71 the basic file was in main memory and I could save it and upload it in a real HP71. However, running it I discovered that I was missing e.g. an XFN function Keywait.
My question to you is: is it possible to copy a complete working program from rom in emu71 and transfer it to a real HP71?
Thanks for your help.

Henk
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-31-2024, 08:01 PM
RE: copy program from rom module in emu71
In the meantime I figured out by other forum mail that I can directly copy from, in this case, port(x). So with the command CAT :PORT(2) I was able to list the rom and e.g. with COPY KEYWAIT:PORT(2) TO :TAPE I could copy most files from ROM, included LEX files.
However, there was 1 file Circuit LEX which I could not copy. Is it protected in a way?

Best regards,

Henk
04-01-2024, 07:21 PM
As the file can't be copied using normal methods, then yes, it appears to have some form of copy protection. I suspect it might have something to do with the mixed case filename.

You can find the file in the OLDP LIF file archive on the DHENIN.dat image.
04-01-2024, 07:39 PM
Joseph Horn's HP-71 Lexfile List has a UNPRIVLX LEX file that could help you.

UNPRIVATE LEX keywords
Code:
PCOPY ?file ?{TO file}
PPEEK$($,#)
PPOKE $,$
UNPRIVAT file

Sylvain Côté
04-01-2024, 08:07 PM
(04-01-2024 07:39 PM)Sylvain Cote Wrote:  Joseph Horn's HP-71 Lexfile List has a UNPRIVLX LEX file that could help you.

UNPRIVATE LEX keywords
Code:
PCOPY ?file ?{TO file}
PPEEK$($,#)
PPOKE $,$
UNPRIVAT file

The file should be UNPRLEX and the file Circuit is not PRIVATE so I wouldn't expect it to have an effect.
04-02-2024, 02:13 AM
Since lowercase characters are not supported by the 71B's built-in file management commands (COPY, NAME...AS, PURGE, etc.) HP used them for the names of files in ROMs as a primitive, though effective, form of copy protection.

You could do this:

ROMCOPY the image to a mass storage file
ROMCOPY that file to an IRAM
POKE new uppercase letters for the filename,,,

Then, you can COPY or whatever you want to do with the file, but note that portions of the s/w require the mixed case name, so it may not work as expected until you change them back.

--Bob Prosperi
04-04-2024, 07:56 PM (This post was last modified: 04-04-2024 08:09 PM by Dave Frederickson.)
(04-02-2024 02:13 AM)rprosperi Wrote:  Since lowercase characters are not supported by the 71B's built-in file management commands (COPY, NAME...AS, PURGE, etc.) HP used them for the names of files in ROMs as a primitive, though effective, form of copy protection.

That's what I thought, but the Owner's Manual clearly states that filenames can be upper or lower case letters or numbers. The only restriction is that the first character must be a letter.

The other issue is when examining the IRAM image, the filechain is not to be found, like when examining a LIF disc image.

Update: It appears that the filechain starts four bytes from the start of the image, so finding the filename and editing it is not so difficult. And, it does solve the copy issue.
04-04-2024, 09:08 PM
(04-04-2024 07:56 PM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  
(04-02-2024 02:13 AM)rprosperi Wrote:  Since lowercase characters are not supported by the 71B's built-in file management commands (COPY, NAME...AS, PURGE, etc.) HP used them for the names of files in ROMs as a primitive, though effective, form of copy protection.

That's what I thought, but the Owner's Manual clearly states that filenames can be upper or lower case letters or numbers. The only restriction is that the first character must be a letter.

The other issue is when examining the IRAM image, the filechain is not to be found, like when examining a LIF disc image.

Update: It appears that the filechain starts four bytes from the start of the image, so finding the filename and editing it is not so difficult. And, it does solve the copy issue.

Read the manual more closely; you can specify lower case letters, but they will all be converted to upper case. I know this as I've tried it to be sure before posting above.

Code:
EDIT [END LINE]                         ; Edit the workfile
10 REM This is a test [END LINE]        ; Create a short line
NAME Test [END LINE]                    ; Change the name to "Test"
CAT [END LINE]    =>   TEST BASIC...

--Bob Prosperi
04-04-2024, 10:56 PM
(04-04-2024 09:08 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  Read the manual more closely; you can specify lower case letters, but they will all be converted to upper case. I know this as I've tried it to be sure before posting above.

Yes, I understand that filenames will be converted to uppercase. Normally the file system shouldn't encounter any filenames with lowercase letters but according to the manual they can be used. This isn't quite true.
04-05-2024, 12:21 PM
(04-04-2024 10:56 PM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  
(04-04-2024 09:08 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  Read the manual more closely; you can specify lower case letters, but they will all be converted to upper case. I know this as I've tried it to be sure before posting above.

Yes, I understand that filenames will be converted to uppercase. Normally the file system shouldn't encounter any filenames with lowercase letters but according to the manual they can be used. This isn't quite true.

I believe what the manual was trying to say, but failed to convey well, is that you can type the letters of a filename in lower case, but they are converted to upper case, just like anything else you type into the BASIC interpreter, excluding string variables.

--Bob Prosperi

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)