Apple to Overhaul MacOS Calculator App
04-21-2024, 06:24 PM
Apple to Overhaul MacOS Calculator App
In breaking Apple news, where things must be slow indeed, they're planning to announce an upgrade to the MacOS Calculator app at the upcoming WWDC in June. This will include cutting edge features like round buttons, saving calculation results to Notes and currency conversions.

More details here:

https://www.pcmag.com/news/apple-is-plan...h-macos-15

I'd set odds better than even that Windows 11 will gain similar capabilities in 2025.

--Bob Prosperi
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-22-2024, 04:38 AM (This post was last modified: 04-22-2024 04:38 AM by nickapos.)
RE: Apple to Overhaul MacOS Calculator App
Saw that as well, i dont get what is the big deal with changing button shape.
Calculator history is important ok. Maybe they also allow textbook mathematical notation, but as far as i know Mac/iOS calc does not have any solver or programming capabilities so its of limited use.

I agree slow Apple news period...
04-22-2024, 06:03 AM
(04-22-2024 04:38 AM)nickapos Wrote:  so its of limited use.

It has RPN mode (⌘R). So there is that.
04-22-2024, 06:14 PM
(04-22-2024 06:03 AM)Thomas Klemm Wrote:  
(04-22-2024 04:38 AM)nickapos Wrote:  so its of limited use.

It has RPN mode (⌘R). So there is that.

When I said of limited use I was referring to textbook notation not the app in general. Lots of people use the default calculator for all sort of things, I just consider it useful but a bit basic.
04-25-2024, 09:42 AM
(04-21-2024 06:24 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  In breaking Apple news, where things must be slow indeed, they're planning to announce an upgrade to the MacOS Calculator app at the upcoming WWDC in June. This will include cutting edge features like round buttons, saving calculation results to Notes and currency conversions.

Even the smallest improvements may be of interest to some people. For example, I was pleased when Windows Notepad finally gained the ability to handle Unix line endings in 2017, 34 years after it was first introduced. Better late than never. Big Grin
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-25-2024, 10:42 AM
(04-25-2024 09:42 AM)Thomas Okken Wrote:  Even the smallest improvements may be of interest to some people. For example, I was pleased when Windows Notepad finally gained the ability to handle Unix line endings in 2017, 34 years after it was first introduced. Better late than never. Big Grin

Oh well, I use Notepad++ for ages on Windows which can handle that since the first version I installed. And auto convert all tabs to spaces if I want it to, ideal for coding.
04-25-2024, 11:17 AM (This post was last modified: 04-25-2024 11:21 AM by Steve Simpkin.)
In somewhat related news, the next OS release for iPads, iPadOS 18, could ship with built-in Calculator app, after 14 Calculator-less years. Every single iPhone and Mac has come with a native calculator app, but not the iPad. Until now...

Reactions:
'We truly live in an age of wonders!"
"What a time to be alive!"
"Truly wondrous! With these changes the iPad will be seem as powerful as the watch calculator I had as a kid!"

For those wondering why the iPad did not include a calculator app, this appears to be the explanation.
Why The iPad Doesn't Have A Calculator
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-25-2024, 11:21 AM
Hello,

(04-25-2024 10:42 AM)johanw Wrote:  Oh well, I use Notepad++ for ages on Windows which can handle that since the first version I installed. And auto convert all tabs to spaces if I want it to, ideal for coding.

Yes, but that‘s a third party application. When an editor is supplied with the operating system one expects it to be able to perform some basic standard tasks… And when a calculator comes with the OS it should look and feel like the other complimentary applications. Functionally, the calculator of MacOS is not bad, but it is really ugly. About time to give it a facelift!

Regards
Max
04-28-2024, 06:58 PM (This post was last modified: 04-28-2024 06:59 PM by johanw.)
(04-25-2024 11:21 AM)Maximilian Hohmann Wrote:  Yes, but that‘s a third party application.

That may be a stand that is common in some countries (like the US where people still still uses sms to chat) but I tend to install apps that (mostly) do what I want them to do. Android comes with a calculator app since the first ersion I used but I still install some new ones on a new phone. I doubt Google will ever license Plus42 for all phones (although I think Thomas would like that).

I expect an app delivered with the OS to be just as basic as they can get away with. Unless they try to push it for some reasons like webbrowsers.
04-28-2024, 07:42 PM
Hello!

(04-28-2024 06:58 PM)johanw Wrote:  I expect an app delivered with the OS to be just as basic as they can get away with. Unless they try to push it for some reasons like webbrowsers.

That reminds me of the Program "Graphing Calculator", later called "Grapher" that comes with MacOS since the early 1990ies. When I first saw it I had never seen anything like it. We used unix workstations (Sun, IBM and HP) at work at that time and this "Graphing Calculator" blew them all away. You entered an equation and it showed you a 3D plot that could be rotated and tilted and magnified in real time using your mouse. I think it was only supplied with the OS to demonstrate what the (then) state-of-the-art Motrorola RISC processor was capable of. It is still alive and breating and can calculate and display Lorenz attractors - whatever that may be - and other exotic mathematical stuff in real time.

Regards
Max

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)