can't list ebay items on this forum anymore?!!
01-03-2014, 09:00 AM
can't list ebay items on this forum anymore?!!
I posted a few items on the classifieds forum a few days back - I just went back in to find it had been removed. I was going to advertise a 29C, but i'm a bit shocked that we can't do this anymore. You can advertise, but you can't reference ebay now ...

I've done this for years, why the change? As a collector I've bought and sold this way for years.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-03-2014, 09:51 AM
RE: can't list ebay items on this forum anymore?!!
Hi Keith,

welcome in 2014:-)

The subtitle of the new Classified section states:
Quote:For sale/wanted. Do not post links to ebay or other auction sites in this forum.

Maybe eBay link usage got somewhat out of bounds in the old forum;-)

Cheers

-- Ray
Find all posts by this user
01-03-2014, 03:32 PM
I never really understood the need to list eBay and other commercial auctions here anyway. Surely anyone who visits the forum and is interested in buying calculators will know how to search eBay. I think many people were just trying to take advantage of the free listing on MoHPC and avoiding the eBay fee by cancelling the auction after selling it here. Few of those people ever contributed to this forum.
01-03-2014, 03:50 PM
(01-03-2014 09:00 AM)Keith Midson Wrote:  I posted a few items on the classifieds forum a few days back - I just went back in to find it had been removed. I was going to advertise a 29C, but i'm a bit shocked that we can't do this anymore. You can advertise, but you can't reference ebay now ...

I've done this for years, why the change? As a collector I've bought and sold this way for years.

Here's a couple of related threads:

Classified Ads and eBay
How to post create an account to HP advertisement?

Dave is serious about the policy and firm in enforcing it.

For me, it is probably a good thing. I really have been spending too much on eBay recently.

Mark Hardman

Ceci n'est pas une signature.
01-08-2014, 10:57 AM
An issue with the policy is that ebay is pretty much the only thing that lets me ship internationally with any degree of reliability and no hassle.

What they have is a local U.S. address you ship the item too and they repackage it, pay all the appropriate tarrifs/fees and send it on to the country. international buyers pick up the extra actual cost over me paying for the US shipping, ebay has custom sites for each country that calculates the appropriate extra fee for shipping to them.

They only do it for items sold on eBay of course, but it is super useful.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-08-2014, 11:22 AM
(01-08-2014 10:57 AM)jwm Wrote:  An issue with the policy is that ebay is pretty much the only thing that lets me ship internationally with any degree of reliability and no hassle.

What about your local post office (or FedEx, UPS or whatever parcel service you prefer)? The only difference between a domestic and international shipment is a little green sticker with the customs declaration. All you need to put there is a short description of the contents "pre-owned pocket calculator" and the value in your local currency. No fees or hassle other than that, import duties and charges will be paid by the buyer and are not your concern at all. Reliability is more a matter of secure payment than shipment. Services like PayPal can be used independently from eBay.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)