HP48 Serial Comm - BUFLEN
01-23-2014, 03:38 AM
HP48 Serial Comm - BUFLEN
Curious about anyones experience with Serial Communications with the HP48. I've searched through all my resouces - HP, Wickes, Donnelly and haven't found any helpful information:

1. How long is the serial input buffer?

2. How can I 'peek' into the input buffer - that is see what characters have been received without doing an SRECV?

Any recommendations or code examples are appreciated.

TomC
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-23-2014, 05:08 AM
RE: HP48 Serial Comm - BUFLEN
The Advanced User's Reference may have more information on this (available at http://www.hpcalc.org). There is a UserRPL command that will read the buffer (I just don't remember the name off the top of my head). The buffer length is not very big, though. The length can be found in the rammmap.a entries file (also found on http://www.hpcalc.org).

Graph 3D | QPI | SolveSys
01-23-2014, 05:46 AM (This post was last modified: 01-23-2014 05:59 AM by RMollov.)
(01-23-2014 03:38 AM)TomC Wrote:  Curious about anyones experience with Serial Communications with the HP48. I've searched through all my resouces - HP, Wickes, Donnelly and haven't found any helpful information:

1. How long is the serial input buffer?

2. How can I 'peek' into the input buffer - that is see what characters have been received without doing an SRECV?

Any recommendations or code examples are appreciated.

TomC

1. 255 chars
2. Not sure what you mean. Are you after some hack (not User RPL) to retrieve the buffer content without "clearing" it with SRECV?
I have used a simple RCLB program: << BUFLEN DROP SRECV DROP >> to bring buffer content as a string in stack level 1. I've been able to make HP48 communicate with all available surveying total stations over the years with no problem.
01-24-2014, 12:00 AM
Hello:

Thanks for the information.

Yes, I am aware of the Adv Users Guide, and usage of XMIT and SRECV. I have successfully used XMIT, SRECV, BUFLEN and STIME.

However, I would like to look at the contents of the input buffer without clearing it.

Has anyone written any code to do this?

Thanks in advance,
TomC
01-24-2014, 02:30 AM (This post was last modified: 01-24-2014 10:07 AM by RMollov.)
(01-24-2014 12:00 AM)TomC Wrote:  Has anyone written any code to do this?
From practical point of view I doubt it, given the size of the buffer...

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)