Classic battery door latch 3d model?
06-24-2017, 02:11 PM
RE: Classic battery door latch 3d model?
(06-17-2017 04:09 AM)Nate Martin Wrote:  I have modeled the HP-75 battery door and have one ordered from shapeways for fit check, so hopefully it will be ready for others to order by the end of the month.

Part arrived yesterday, revised and ordered a second version as I had a x<>y coordinate swap in one section. Looks like if this model works the stand-alone price of ~$12 with shipping and extra $5.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-24-2017, 03:46 PM
(06-17-2017 07:42 PM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  I have a request for 71 front-port covers. The desired features would be reduced "shelf" area, compared to the current modules, which will not require as much material, reducing cost. This makes the sides more springy so that a detent bump can be added like the one on the stock port cover.

TIA, Dave

like this? https://www.shapeways.com/product/KXBVLX...d=63044258

I left a little more material on the shelf to keep it a little more rigid. If you think I need to take out more material just ask.
06-24-2017, 04:37 PM
(06-24-2017 03:46 PM)Nate Martin Wrote:  like this? https://www.shapeways.com/product/KXBVLX...d=63044258

I left a little more material on the shelf to keep it a little more rigid. If you think I need to take out more material just ask.

Close. The model looks great, except the detent bumps on the stock port cover are located at the top back corners of the cover and snap in place when the bumps clear the port opening. Insert a port cover in Port 1, take out the HP-IL module, and observe how the detent works by looking through the HP-IL module opening. You can get dimensions from measuring a cover or the H/W IDS.

Dave
06-24-2017, 04:54 PM
Thanks Dave,

I will review against my stock 71 and update this weekend
07-07-2017, 04:16 AM
(06-17-2017 12:49 PM)Sylvain Cote Wrote:  
(06-17-2017 04:09 AM)Nate Martin Wrote:  I have modeled the HP-75 battery door and have one ordered from shapeways for fit check, so hopefully it will be ready for others to order by the end of the month.

This is great.
I was readying another ShapeWays order for the HP-75 front cover modules but I will wait a bit to include a couple of that battery door.
Thank you!
Sylvain

PM sent

I think I might have a good version of that part for the HP75.
07-07-2017, 04:26 AM
(06-24-2017 04:37 PM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  
(06-24-2017 03:46 PM)Nate Martin Wrote:  like this? https://www.shapeways.com/product/KXBVLX...d=63044258

Close. The model looks great, except the detent bumps on the stock port cover are located at the top back corners of the cover and snap in place when the bumps clear the port opening. Insert a port cover in Port 1, take out the HP-IL module, and observe how the detent works by looking through the HP-IL module opening. You can get dimensions from measuring a cover or the H/W IDS.

Dave

PM sent, initial version of the model is back from shapeways
07-20-2017, 04:58 AM
Added two new items in my shapeways shop;
https://www.shapeways.com/shops/wants_beer

HP75 battery door
https://www.shapeways.com/product/VQBCX8...d=62987112

Test printed and checked via a willing test victim as OK

and

HP71 front module cover
https://www.shapeways.com/product/KXBVLX...d=63044258

I did not test print this version yet, I will include with my next order but that may be a while so if someone else wants to try please let me know. Also thanks to my other willing test victim for the critical feedback.

And as always, if anyone wants a copy of any of my models just send me a PM or email.
07-20-2017, 05:09 PM
Awesome!

The 71 port cover looks very much like the original. I see you've added the "stop".

What's next on the list? Maybe HP-IL and Card Reader covers for the 71?

Thanks, Dave
07-21-2017, 03:58 PM
I'd like to get the parts in dark brown, to more closely match the original parts. The issue is that Shapeways doesn't offer "strong and flexible plastic" in brown. Sad I can think of two possible solutions.

1. Upload the models to 3DHubs and see if there's a shop that can print in brown plastic
2. Order the parts in white and dye them brown, which is how Shapeways colors all their parts

Anybody know where to find dye for plastic?

Dave
07-21-2017, 06:23 PM
(07-21-2017 03:58 PM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  Anybody know where to find dye for plastic?

RitDye Color Formulas
https://www.ritdye.com/color-library/color-formulas/

How to Dye Your 3D Prints
http://makezine.com/2013/05/09/how-to-dy...3d-prints/
07-21-2017, 07:13 PM
(07-21-2017 06:23 PM)Sylvain Cote Wrote:  How to Dye Your 3D Prints
http://makezine.com/2013/05/09/how-to-dy...3d-prints/

Is the 1 Tesla Van de Graaff generator really necessary? Smile

On the serious side, I found some articles and videos as well.
07-26-2017, 04:03 AM
(07-20-2017 05:09 PM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  Awesome!

The 71 port cover looks very much like the original. I see you've added the "stop".

What's next on the list? Maybe HP-IL and Card Reader covers for the 71?

Thanks, Dave

Also there is a request for an extended 41 module housing and I am thinking also the 41 card reader for project housings...
07-26-2017, 07:27 AM
(07-26-2017 04:03 AM)Nate Martin Wrote:  Also there is a request for an extended 41 module housing and I am thinking also the 41 card reader for project housings...

Those would be really interesting. Thank you Nate.

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-19-2017, 12:58 AM (This post was last modified: 08-19-2017 01:04 AM by Sylvain Cote.)
Hello Nate,

I have received my last order from ShapeWays today.

1 x Classic Battery Latch (x6)
-> they all fit perfectly

5 x HP-41 Side Panel (here and here)

4 x HP-41 Port Module Cover (here and here)
-> they all fit perfectly on HP-41's
-> they do not fit on Port-X-Tender, the extremity is too thick on the inside

5 x HP-41 CL Serial Module Cover NH

3 x HP75 battery door

9 x HP-75C/D Port Cover

8 x HP71 front module cover

1 x HP-71 IL door
This is my second one and they both have problem, the dept is too long and the door does not close completely.
I removed some material on the first one until it somewhat closed but it is not ideal. IMHO this one must be reworked

Thank you very much for having created them.

Best regards,

Sylvain

PS: if you have time one day, a battery door for the HP-75 Expansion Pod could be a great addition to your already fantastic list of HP handhelds replacement item creation Smile
08-20-2017, 03:09 PM
Per the note:

I will check today and see what I can adjust. I have a port-x-tender so this should be easy.

I have also been working on the revision to the 71b front port cover, but cannot get the changes to upload correctly.
08-20-2017, 04:25 PM (This post was last modified: 08-20-2017 04:25 PM by Sylvain Cote.)
Hello Nate,

(08-20-2017 03:09 PM)Nate Martin Wrote:  Per the note:
I will check today and see what I can adjust. I have a port-x-tender so this should be easy.
I was nit-picking here, the Port-X-Tender is a definitively edge case.
I have two of these and they are filled with standard port plugs when they don't hold actual modules.

(08-20-2017 03:09 PM)Nate Martin Wrote:  I have also been working on the revision to the 71b front port cover, but cannot get the changes to upload correctly.
Just to be on the safe side, I was talking about the HP-71B HP-IL port cover on the back not the HP-71B front ports cover.
IMHO, your HP-71B front ports cover are perfect.

About the HP-41 CL Serial Module Cover NH, I found a way to firmly hold it in place when connecting and disconnecting the external serial cable.
I no longer fear of forgetting to put a restraining finger preventing the plug to get out and thus breaking the internal serial cable.
I will disclose the tip at the upcoming HHC2017 at the same time I do my 41CL Update presentation.

Best regards,

Sylvain
08-22-2017, 12:22 AM
(08-20-2017 04:25 PM)Sylvain Cote Wrote:  
(08-20-2017 03:09 PM)Nate Martin Wrote:  I have also been working on the revision to the 71b front port cover, but cannot get the changes to upload correctly.
IMHO, your HP-71B front ports cover are perfect.

There was an issue with the detent bump and the covers didn't snap into place. It looks like Nate has successfully uploaded the updated model as the bump now sports angled ramps similar to the stock port cover. The problem is the price is almost $20. Sad I was ready to buy a bunch and have a second go at dyeing the parts brown.

What's up Nate?

Dave
09-09-2017, 03:40 AM (This post was last modified: 09-10-2017 02:24 PM by Nate Martin.)
(08-22-2017 12:22 AM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  
(08-20-2017 04:25 PM)Sylvain Cote Wrote:  IMHO, your HP-71B front ports cover are perfect.

There was an issue with the detent bump and the covers didn't snap into place. It looks like Nate has successfully uploaded the updated model as the bump now sports angled ramps similar to the stock port cover. The problem is the price is almost $20. Sad I was ready to buy a bunch and have a second go at dyeing the parts brown.

What's up Nate?

Dave

I think I got these corrected and sent a sample today, I may still need to adjust length slightly but I did get it to snap in place. A couple of prices got wonky during all of my uploads, it was adding a markup which I did not intend to add during a scaling operation.

I still need to check the HP71 IL port cover for Sylvain, and I also uploaded a 41 extended module housing (https://www.shapeways.com/product/L99GKC4UW) today that i need to get a sample print.
09-10-2017, 06:31 PM
(09-09-2017 03:40 AM)Nate Martin Wrote:  I think I got these corrected and sent a sample today, I may still need to adjust length slightly but I did get it to snap in place. A couple of prices got wonky during all of my uploads, it was adding a markup which I did not intend to add during a scaling operation.

I still need to check the HP71 IL port cover for Sylvain, and I also uploaded a 41 extended module housing (https://www.shapeways.com/product/L99GKC4UW) today that i need to get a sample print.

What is the overall length of the extended module housing? Looks like there's room enough for an IR diode or, dare I say, GPS module Smile

~Mark

Remember kids, "In a democracy, you get the government you deserve."
09-10-2017, 07:13 PM
(09-10-2017 06:31 PM)mfleming Wrote:  
(09-09-2017 03:40 AM)Nate Martin Wrote:  I think I got these corrected and sent a sample today, I may still need to adjust length slightly but I did get it to snap in place. A couple of prices got wonky during all of my uploads, it was adding a markup which I did not intend to add during a scaling operation.

What is the overall length of the extended module housing? Looks like there's room enough for an IR diode or, dare I say, GPS module Smile

~Mark

I hope for a FM Radio module (remember the april's joke?)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)