RE: HP-67 FUN rom documentation thread
A couple more updates to the PDF: PDF
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-02-2016, 05:19 PM
Ok, here is the PDF with the current updates: 67FUN manual PDF

What remains to be done:

1) ST (StarTrek): Robert is working on this. No big deal.
2) ART (Artillery): Needs labels and registers updated. I also would like someone to verify the example game I put in. Did I do this correctly or is there a mistake in the program somewhere?
3) General error checking of course.

Everything else is done. I have done some document formatting. Perhaps a table of contents will be added. I may put the page number into the XROM table at the start.

Getting close!
12-02-2016, 09:16 PM
(12-02-2016 05:19 PM)Gene Wrote:  2) ART (Artillery): Needs labels and registers updated. I also would like someone to verify the example game I put in. Did I do this correctly or is there a mistake in the program somewhere?

The program seems to run correctly. I changed the RNG to the method and seed of the original HP67 version, and the results exactly matched the example.

However, the program's output seems a bit ...counterintuitive as far its interpretation is concerned. But it works. Here is an example for the ROM version. For a quick success the target speed was set to 0, i.e. it doesn't move after a shot. ;-)

Code:
       XEQ "ART"
SEED?  0,4711 R/S
       0 f [b]           (set target speed to zero)
       [A]
 45                      (target is *roughly* at 45°)
       45 ENTER 30 [E]   (try this bearing and an elevation of 30°)
BRNG: 45,0
ELEV: 30,0
 8,2570                  (a bit to the left, and 2570 m off target)
       60 ENTER 30 [E]   (so let's try a bearing of 60°, same elevation)
BRNG: 60,0
ELEV: 30,0
 6,0860                  (much better, we're just 860 m short)
       60 ENTER 35 [E]   (so try a somewhat higher elevation)
BRNG: 60,0
ELEV: 35,0
 9,0120                  (left of target, but very close, elevation seems fine)
       61 ENTER 35 [E]   (so try a bearing of 61°)
KILL                     (got it!)
DIST: 41,2               (shell hit only 41 m away from target)

(note1: 60,8° ENTER 35,2° would have been a (nearly) direct hit)
(note2: Pressing [C] yields (rounded) bearing = 61° and distance = 9422 m)

Regarding registers and labels:

R05: shot counter, doesn't seem to get used
R06: shell's rounded distance from target
R07: shell's rounded direction from target

LBL 01: adjust target position by a random amount
LBL 03: generate hh.DDDD output
LBL 05: doesn't seem to be a jump target
LBL 07: check if target has approached to less than 500 m. If yes...
LBL 08: ...display "close" message and "*gotcha*" => game over
LBL 09: change exact bearing/distance slightly by a random amount

(12-02-2016 05:19 PM)Gene Wrote:  Everything else is done. I have done some document formatting. Perhaps a table of contents will be added. I may put the page number into the XROM table at the start.

Gene, I think the most important part here are page breaks. Each program should start on a new page, and I think this should also apply to every listing. I also think that the a) b) c) ... thing at the labels/register section is a bit confusing and should be omitted. Just my 2 cents.

Dieter
12-02-2016, 10:17 PM
Good points. Updated.

PDF here: PDF

I have put in page breaks and updated the Artillery information. Thank you.

I have not yet changed the outline format of registers, labels and flags. I will ponder that. :-)
06-14-2017, 07:43 PM (This post was last modified: 06-14-2017 08:42 PM by Olivier (WA).)
I am a little late to this thread but just found out that all the links are broken, i.e. they take me to a DropBox page with... nothing, no document nor file linked. Is there a way to make them more persistent ?

This problem is common to the articles/threads from the same time frame. This considerably reduces the usefulness of said articles/threads :-(

Maybe I am missing something, besides being late to the party ?
06-14-2017, 09:49 PM
Sorry. In between the original posts and now, Dropbox changed how their public links are presented due to abuse / copyright issues somewhere in the world.

Here's the PDF of the manual: 67FUN Writeup

Here's the link to the .zip of the .rom and .mod files (but if you go to Monte's 41CL site, you can download the rom image in the 41CL database - it is current).

.mod and .rom of the 67FUN effort
06-14-2017, 09:50 PM
(06-14-2017 07:43 PM)Olivier (WA) Wrote:  I am a little late to this thread but just found out that all the links are broken, i.e. they take me to a DropBox page with... nothing, no document nor file linked. Is there a way to make them more persistent ?

This problem is common to the articles/threads from the same time frame. This considerably reduces the usefulness of said articles/threads :-(

Maybe I am missing something, besides being late to the party ?

This does not necessarily mean folks have pulled their files. A few months ago, DropBox made some kind of significant change in their addressing scheme (unannounced as far as I know, but could be wrong) which broke ALL links. As stuff gets reported, some folks are moving them to new DropBox links (not me) or to more stable free cloud hosts such as GoogleDrive and OneDrive.

In many cases though, the original posters may not even realize things have broken, as after all, it's in the cloud, where you don't have to worry about it.

--Bob Prosperi
06-15-2017, 02:01 AM
But this does bring up the two other unfinished (ok, actually nearly UNSTARTED) projects...

67FUN2

and

the extended precision program rom.

It is the second one that intrigues me. I know of the Multiple Precision rom already out there by Peter Platzer.

But this rom would save programs from the PPC Journal that did things like simply return a 20 digit square root, or multiply two 20 digit numbers together or take the sine of an angle to 105 decimal places. :-)

Why? History is one reason. Our obsession is another. Ha.
06-15-2017, 02:29 AM
And after viewing the 67FUN manual, I found a couple of corrections. Most of them were enforcing consistency on myself - ending periods in lists, etc. but one was a typo in the flags set by the text bytes in the RF routine as noted in the new document found here:

67FUN manual v1.03
06-15-2017, 03:09 AM
(06-15-2017 02:29 AM)Gene Wrote:  And after viewing the 67FUN manual, I found a couple of corrections. Most of them were enforcing consistency on myself - ending periods in lists, etc. but one was a typo in the flags set by the text bytes in the RF routine as noted in the new document found here:

67FUN manual v1.03

It seems to require a DropBox account to download it. I stopped using DropBox a couple of years ago when they dropped support for PPC Macs.

Håkan
06-15-2017, 12:21 PM
It may ask for a dropbox account signin, but I don't think it requires it.

?
06-15-2017, 01:48 PM
(06-15-2017 12:21 PM)Gene Wrote:  It may ask for a dropbox account signin, but I don't think it requires it.

?

Yes, it works without this. Click on the "Download" dropdown menu and select "direct download". It may take a few attemps until it works.

BTW, the XROM functions 23,25 and 23,36 in the program listing of the JT game are just undecoded XROM"S" and XROM"R" calls of this 67FUN ROM. ;-)

Dieter
06-15-2017, 04:11 PM
Yes! I managed to download it now (I was able when I tried yesterday).

Håkan

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)