MoHPC 41C/CV/CX price & availability a bit out-of-date?
11-02-2017, 07:01 PM (This post was last modified: 11-02-2017 07:04 PM by smp.)
MoHPC 41C/CV/CX price & availability a bit out-of-date?
Recently, I saw an auction for an HP-27:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Hewlett...SwdSRZ-q5a

I'm not familiar with that particular model, so I went to the MoHPC site to take a look at the specs.
That led to a look at the price & rarity list.
While I was there, I also took a look for my all-time favorite, the 41C/CV/CX.
There was a note, so I took a look at that, too, and what a surprise!

Here it is:
Code:

(3) HP-41s were very popular and therefore very common. However, their popularity persists 
among some users so don't be surprised if some owners refuse to sell at any price. The 
recently discontinued HP-42S also has fans that will pay very high prices. Some HP-41C 
accessory prices that have been seen on eBay:

Card reader : $25-60
Optical wand : $15-50
IL module : $5-50
Blank card set : $10-30
Matrix printer : $15-40
Cassette drive : $20-50

I am amazed at those prices. If those actually were the prices being asked on TAS, or anywhere else, I would have a lot more equipment in my possession today.

I suppose this shouldn't be a surprise, as I can imagine that the upkeep of the entire site is a tremendous effort. Ongoing. All the time. I do not mean to be critical. I am
very happy to have the MoHPC as a resource there to go to any time I want.

Thanks for listening. Hopefully, you all had a chuckle when you read it, too.

smp
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-02-2017, 10:10 PM
RE: MoHPC 41C/CV/CX price & availability a bit out-of-date?
(11-02-2017 07:01 PM)smp Wrote:  Recently, I saw an auction for an HP-27:
I'm not familiar with that particular model, so I went to the MoHPC site to take a look at the specs.
That led to a look at the price & rarity list.

Though certainly more rare than a 21 or 25 (maybe even a 22) these do pop up fairly often, though they seem to be "untested, as-is" in most listings. Of course, blown ACT is the most common issue, as sellers try to plug in the AC adapter if batteries are shot.

Most Woodstocks can use an ACT from any other Woodstock (verified by Panamatik recently) however the HP-27 was built using NMOS (all others are PMOS) so they can only use '27 parts, so they are harder to service, but are otherwise great machines. The HP-27S is even better, but it lacks the coolness of LEDs.

(11-02-2017 07:01 PM)smp Wrote:  While I was there, I also took a look for my all-time favorite, the 41C/CV/CX.
There was a note, so I took a look at that, too, and what a surprise!

Yes, the prices (as well as some of the rarity comments) are quite dated, but as you say, it's no easy task to keep all that up to date. Take essentially all the prices noted there as wildly optimistic in today's marketplace.

--Bob Prosperi
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)