Need help installing apps on the 50g
03-24-2014, 07:56 AM
Need help installing apps on the 50g
Hi, I'm new to the 50g (and Hp calc's in general) and I wanted to install HLDraw261 and plotxyz from hpcalc:
http://www.hpcalc.org/details.php?id=7334
http://www.hpcalc.org/details.php?id=7128

I have the connectivity software installed and do not have an sd card. I can't seem to get these apps to work. It seems a lot different from installing apps on my other calc. I can't find any decent tutorials on installing apps on the 50g. I'm hoping someone here can show me how to install and run apps on the 50g. Thanks.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-24-2014, 09:28 AM
RE: Need help installing apps on the 50g
Hello and welcome!
First connect your calculatort to your pc. You may need particular driver which is easy to find with google. Then enter the server mode. (press left-shift and left at the same time) (maybe right-shift? I can't remember clearly)
Choose USB mode on the connectivity software, and click the button beside the choose box. The calculator is connected then. Now you can put the files needed in port 2 (flash) and press on and F3 together (the stack will be cleared if you do so) and the apps are installed. Sorry for my poor expression of English.
03-24-2014, 03:04 PM (This post was last modified: 03-24-2014 03:16 PM by dizzy.)
(03-24-2014 07:56 AM)Fanboy Wrote:  Hi, I'm new to the 50g (and Hp calc's in general) and I wanted to install HLDraw261 and plotxyz from hpcalc:
http://www.hpcalc.org/details.php?id=7334
http://www.hpcalc.org/details.php?id=7128

I have the connectivity software installed and do not have an sd card. I can't seem to get these apps to work. It seems a lot different from installing apps on my other calc. I can't find any decent tutorials on installing apps on the 50g. I'm hoping someone here can show me how to install and run apps on the 50g. Thanks.

In addition to the advice above, you'll need the ARM Toolbox for plotxyz:

http://www.hpcalc.org/details.php?id=6090

Edit: actually, maybe not. This program may not need it. :-)
03-25-2014, 01:31 AM
I just can't seem to install it. I can't find any usb mode option or port 2 in my connectivity software options. Do I install the entire folder or just .hp file?
03-25-2014, 02:21 AM
(03-25-2014 01:31 AM)Fanboy Wrote:  I can't find any usb mode option or port 2 in my connectivity software options.

You may have to install separate USB drivers to get the ConnKit to see the 50g via USB. Look on the HP website for the USB drivers, they are there and are frequently needed to get it to work right.

--Bob Prosperi
03-25-2014, 07:54 AM
You may have to install separate USB drivers to get the ConnKit to see the 50g via USB. Look on the HP website for the USB drivers, they are there and are frequently needed to get it to work right.
[/quote]

I can connect my calculator using the connectivity kit. I have the drivers installed too. I just don't know where to put the apps in and how to make them work. There is no usb mode option or port 2 option.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

03-25-2014, 09:33 AM
(03-25-2014 07:54 AM)Fanboy Wrote:  I can connect my calculator using the connectivity kit. I have the drivers installed too. I just don't know where to put the apps in and how to make them work. There is no usb mode option or port 2 option.

Just drag the files in. Press on to disconnect. Enter the FILE manager on your calculator. (The command is on the keyboard) Enter the HOME folder to find out the files you transfered. Use the soft menu to move them to 2: FLASH. Press ON and F3. The library will be automatically loaded.
03-27-2014, 12:39 AM
I've put them in the flash (port 2). But what do I do next? How do I actually launch the app and use it?
03-27-2014, 03:12 AM
The 50g User Guide (p. 26-12) describes how to load and access Libraries and the programs/commands in them, but you will need instruactions from the author of the Library you installed on how to use the commands it provides.

--Bob Prosperi
03-27-2014, 07:34 AM
Han is listed as one of the authors of hldraw and he posts regularly here. I guess he must have missed this thread as he would seem to be ideally capable of answering your questions. Maybe you should send him a PM.

It ain't OVER 'till it's 2 PICK
03-27-2014, 03:00 PM
(03-27-2014 12:39 AM)Fanboy Wrote:  I've put them in the flash (port 2). But what do I do next? How do I actually launch the app and use it?

Not all libraries (those are the names of the objects which you transferred onto your calculator) will appear as an App in the Apps menu on the HP50G. However, they should all appear in the library menu [Right-Shift] [2]. Press the soft-menu key corresponding to the library (app) that you installed to gain access to the commands that they provide. As for how to use each library (app), each of those programs contain documentation on how to use them.

Also, for the record, I did not write HLDRAW but I did update it so that it would work in the HP50G. No attempt was made to fix any programming bugs that the original author J. Bos had in his original program (I vaguely remember that there is no argument checking in some of the commands, so be careful there); I merely tried to get the code to work as was originally programmed by J. Bos.

Graph 3D | QPI | SolveSys
04-03-2014, 03:55 AM
I Don't know how to get plotxyz to work despite reading the documentation. I've already given up on hldraw. My calc freezes when I try certain inputs. So while I'm still at it, is there a way I can plot 3d parametric graphs on the HP50g? The parametric form is F(t) = <x(t),y(t),z(t)>. My other other calc does it nicely in 2d but not 3d.
04-03-2014, 03:53 PM
(04-03-2014 03:55 AM)Fanboy Wrote:  I Don't know how to get plotxyz to work despite reading the documentation. I've already given up on hldraw. My calc freezes when I try certain inputs. So while I'm still at it, is there a way I can plot 3d parametric graphs on the HP50g? The parametric form is F(t) = <x(t),y(t),z(t)>. My other other calc does it nicely in 2d but not 3d.

For HLDRAW, what firmware do you have? Are you running 2.15? I believe that is the latest. If already up-to-date, what input did you try?

As for plotxyz, please post the exact steps you followed and perhaps we can help once we figured out what you already tried.

Graph 3D | QPI | SolveSys
04-04-2014, 04:59 AM
For example, in plotxyz, I'm trying to graph the example given in the doc for a circle:

5 { 1. 3. }
4 { }
3 'b*COS(u)'
2 'b*SIN(u)'
1 ' a '

It gives an error. As I said, all I'm looking for is something which can graph 3d parametrics of the form: f(t) = <x(t),y(t),z(t)>. Is that even possible on the 50g?
04-04-2014, 06:07 PM (This post was last modified: 04-04-2014 06:08 PM by Thomas Klemm.)
(04-04-2014 04:59 AM)Fanboy Wrote:  As I said, all I'm looking for is something which can graph 3d parametrics of the form: f(t) = <x(t),y(t),z(t)>. Is that even possible on the 50g?

Maybe not exactly what you wanted because I'm using the HP-48G but it might lead you into the right direction.
I created a function \(F(t):\mathbb{R}\rightarrow\mathbb{C}\):
Code:
\<< \-> t
  \<< P
    'x(t)' EVAL
    'y(t)' EVAL
    'z(t)' EVAL
    \->V3 *
    V\-> R\->C
  \>>
\>>
Save this as F.

These are the 3 functions for a helix as an example:
Code:
\<< \-> t 'COS(t)' \>>
Save this as x.

Code:
\<< \-> t 'SIN(t)' \>>
Save this as y.

Code:
\<< \-> t 'h*t' \>>
Save this as z. You can save 0.1 in h or change that later.

For the projection P I used:
Code:
[[  1 1 1  ]
 [ -1 1 1  ]]
But you might want to use two vectors that are orthonormal instead.

Now in the PLOT menu set:
TYPE: Parametric
EQ: 'F(X)'
INDEP: X

You may choose other values for LO and HI in the OPTS sub-menu.

With this I got the following picture:
[Image: attachment.php?aid=437]

Cheers
Thomas

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)