HP Forums
HP-Prime or TI N-Spire CAS? - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Not HP Calculators (/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: Not quite HP Calculators - but related (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: HP-Prime or TI N-Spire CAS? (/thread-10163.html)

HP-Prime or TI N-Spire CAS? - Matt Agajanian - 02-13-2018 07:08 PM

Hi all. To be honest,

I find HPs to be superior than their competitors but, with the crticisms the Prime has received since it was introduced I’m wondering:

Since the Prime has been out for a while, there must’ve been improvements

Even so, is the TI N-Spire CAS still a stronger machine?

If so, what can I do with the Prime so that it’s just as capable & full-featured as TI’s N-Spire CAS?

Can the iOS version of the Prime benefit from the Connectivity features that are available to the handheld Prime?
Thanks

RE: HP-Prime or TI N-Spire CAS? - Dave Britten - 02-13-2018 07:11 PM

I'd go with the Prime solely based on the fact that the programming capabilities of the N-Spire are so crippled.

I only have an original monochrome clickpad version of the N-Spire CAS, so I can't say much about the math capabilities of the newer models.

RE: HP-Prime or TI N-Spire CAS? - pier4r - 02-13-2018 08:04 PM

I have the click pad nspire. The functionality is close to the new calculators. The system is a powerful calculator but the programmability is locked down unless you have the Texas Instruments student software.

The prime wins hands down

RE: HP-Prime or TI N-Spire CAS? - salvomic - 02-13-2018 08:11 PM

(02-13-2018 08:04 PM)pier4r Wrote:  The prime wins hands down

I agree, 100%

Salvo

RE: HP-Prime or TI N-Spire CAS? - Matt Agajanian - 02-13-2018 08:25 PM

(02-13-2018 08:11 PM)salvomic Wrote:  
(02-13-2018 08:04 PM)pier4r Wrote:  The prime wins hands down

I agree, 100%

Salvo

Well, now that that's figured out, how does the paid iOS version of the Prime differ from the actual Prime? How do the Connectivity Kit features fit in?

RE: HP-Prime or TI N-Spire CAS? - salvomic - 02-13-2018 08:27 PM

(02-13-2018 08:25 PM)Matt Agajanian Wrote:  Well, now that that's figured out, how does the paid iOS version of the Prime differ from the actual Prime? How do the Connectivity Kit features fit in?

The paid iOS connects in CK via wifi and figures very well in the last version of FW, like the real Prime.

Salvo

RE: HP-Prime or TI N-Spire CAS? - Matt Agajanian - 02-13-2018 08:31 PM

Thanks!

RE: HP-Prime or TI N-Spire CAS? - Marcel - 02-13-2018 08:53 PM

Hi!
I program AstroLab on the two machines and I loves the two.
The capabillities are the same in a normal programming way. In fact, I have translate AstroLab from Prime to NSpire with no effort.
I personnaly think that NSpire OS is more mature than Prime OS. I always feel when I use my prime that the prime is a prototype or a beta version. For me, the Nspire is more simple to use and to program.
The paradigm of the Prime is great but less natural for me.
I think that the best of the Prime is still to come.
HP have a more rapid machine for now but a bit complicate to use. The next evolution of the NSpire will be a severe test for the Prime.
For now I prefer the NSpire but I program actually AstroLab_5 on Prime and this is fun to do.
Marcel
• HP Machines : 41cx system, HP IL…, 95LX, 200LX, 28C, 28S, 48SX, 48GX, 49G, 15C, 15C LE, 35S
• TI Machines : 58C, 89 Titanium(2), NSpire CX(2), NSpire CX CAS(2)
• Sharp Machine : PC 1500 system
• DM 42 (Waiting…)

RE: HP-Prime or TI N-Spire CAS? - Carsen - 02-14-2018 03:52 AM

I find the touchpad that controls a pointer on the Nspire absolutely inferior to the Prime's touchscreen capabilities. It's so hard and time consuming to use compared to a touchscreen. The Prime also has a larger screen. And the Nspire keys are annoyingly small. Especially the operator keys (The +, -, *, /, etc). These are my main reasons for disliking the Nspire. As you can tell, I really hate it.

I'm going to avoid posting the standard arguments such as the large enter key and the limited yet existent RPN capabilities. Although, they still contribute to my preference to the Prime over the Nspire.

RE: HP-Prime or TI N-Spire CAS? - Matt Agajanian - 02-14-2018 05:02 AM

Carsen, don’t sweat it. In fact, the more I’m told about the Prime helps me learn about how extensively functional, versatile, and easy to use it is. Besides, since I already have a 28S, 50G, 48GX, and several HP 4-register RPN calcs, I don’t worry about the Prime’s limited RPN functionality.

RE: HP-Prime or TI N-Spire CAS? - compsystems - 02-15-2018 12:00 PM

I recommend the hp-prime.

1: The hp-prime CAS is already the best algebra engine in a physical calculator.

with respect to other similar calcualators, not yet incorporated:

1: Print in nice print (pretty-print), it is present in ti-nspireCXCAS and TI89/TIV200

2: screen partition, is present in ti-nspireCXCAS and TI89/TIV200

3: a better visualizer of the source code (2D), is present in the ti-nspireCXCAS