HP Forums
The Programming Book - A Guide To Programmable Calculators by Hewlett-Packard - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum)
+-- Forum: HP Calculators (and very old HP Computers) (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: General Forum (/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: The Programming Book - A Guide To Programmable Calculators by Hewlett-Packard (/thread-10378.html)

Pages: 1 2

The Programming Book - A Guide To Programmable Calculators by Hewlett-Packard - Archilog - 03-23-2018 12:00 PM

Hello,

Have you ever seen this book?

[Image: 18032312512723397115627739.jpg]

I didn't notice it in the MOHPC USB flash drive list, and didn't find any track of this publication on the Internet...

Regards,

Archi

PS: Was given to Bob Prosperi in this thread yesterday - http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-10372-post-93551.html#pid93551 -

RE: The Programming Book - A Guide To Programmable Calculators by Hewlett-Packard - toml_12953 - 03-23-2018 12:39 PM

(03-23-2018 12:00 PM)Archilog Wrote:  Hello,

Have you ever seen this book?

[Image: 18032312512723397115627739.jpg]

I didn't notice it in the MOHPC USB flash drive list, and didn't find any track of this publication on the Internet...

Regards,

Archi

PS: Was given to Bob Prospero in this thread yesterday - http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-10372-post-93551.html#pid93551 -

I hope he scans it in color and makes it available to us! I used to own that booklet. It was great for showing off to my TI friends.

RE: The Programming Book - A Guide To Programmable Calculators by Hewlett-Packard - Thomas Okken - 03-23-2018 12:46 PM

(03-23-2018 12:39 PM)toml_12953 Wrote:  I hope he scans it in color and makes it available to us! I used to own that booklet. It was great for showing off to my TI friends.

Wow, that must be really old, with a 65 and a 25C on the cover. I'd love to see a scan of it.

RE: The Programming Book - A Guide To Programmable Calculators by Hewlett-Packard - rprosperi - 03-23-2018 01:22 PM

Sharing it is one of the reasons I jumped on it so quickly; I hate seeing such unusual docs getting grabbed and squirreled away in a private collection, and never making it to the community. Some collectors insist that an item not being in wide circulation is key to an items increased value; I prefer to contribute to the community and since much of my own collection of such interesting documents came from others sharing, I'm compelled to do so in return.

Though another reason is to have the original...

It will take some time to get to me from Brazil, then I need to ask a friend to scan it (currently I can only scan cut sheets and I don't want to cut this document) but as soon as it's ready, I'll post a link to download a copy. Stay tuned....

RE: The Programming Book - A Guide To Programmable Calculators by Hewlett-Packard - toml_12953 - 03-23-2018 01:26 PM

(03-23-2018 01:22 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  Sharing it is one of the reasons I jumped on it so quickly; I hate seeing such unusual docs getting grabbed and squirreled away in a private collection, and never making it to the community. Some collectors insist that an item not being in wide circulation is key to an items increased value; I prefer to contribute to the community and since much of my own collection of such interesting documents came from others sharing, I'm compelled to do so in return.

Though another reason is to have the original...

It will take some time to get to me from Brazil, then I need to ask a friend to scan it (currently I can only scan cut sheets and I don't want to cut this document) but as soon as it's ready, I'll post a link to download a copy. Stay tuned....

I knew we could count on you, Bob!

RE: The Programming Book - A Guide To Programmable Calculators by Hewlett-Packard - PedroLeiva - 03-23-2018 02:09 PM

(03-23-2018 01:22 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  It will take some time to get to me from Brazil, then I need to ask a friend to scan it (currently I can only scan cut sheets and I don't want to cut this document) but as soon as it's ready, I'll post a link to download a copy. Stay tuned....
I would also like to have a copy. While scanning the document completely it would be very interesting to know the number of pages and the index of topics. I also have subscribed to this thread
Pedro

RE: The Programming Book - A Guide To Programmable Calculators by Hewlett-Packard - pier4r - 03-23-2018 02:37 PM

(03-23-2018 01:22 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  Sharing it is one of the reasons I jumped on it so quickly; I hate seeing such unusual docs getting grabbed and squirreled away in a private collection, and never making it to the community. Some collectors insist that an item not being in wide circulation is key to an items increased value; I prefer to contribute to the community and since much of my own collection of such interesting documents came from others sharing, I'm compelled to do so in return.

Kudos!

Those that retain something for a possible future value fail to see that value is created in a network.
One is not wealthy per se, but it is wealthy as the other recognize the person assets. If they wouldn't, there won't be assets to begin with.

Therefore who has assets should also care that the network is interested in that value.

And aside from this, making money out of knowledge for me sounds always wrong. Paying the implementations because the person dosn't want to read or do it himself, it is all fine.
Knowledge behind paywalls, Meh.

RE: The Programming Book - A Guide To Programmable Calculators by Hewlett-Packard - toml_12953 - 03-23-2018 03:30 PM

(03-23-2018 02:09 PM)PedroLeiva Wrote:  
(03-23-2018 01:22 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  It will take some time to get to me from Brazil, then I need to ask a friend to scan it (currently I can only scan cut sheets and I don't want to cut this document) but as soon as it's ready, I'll post a link to download a copy. Stay tuned....
I would also like to have a copy. While scanning the document completely it would be very interesting to know the number of pages and the index of topics. I also have subscribed to this thread
Pedro

It has 15 pages. It's more of an advertising pamphlet than a book.

RE: The Programming Book - A Guide To Programmable Calculators by Hewlett-Packard - PedroLeiva - 03-23-2018 03:31 PM

(03-23-2018 03:30 PM)toml_12953 Wrote:  
(03-23-2018 02:09 PM)PedroLeiva Wrote:  I would also like to have a copy. While scanning the document completely it would be very interesting to know the number of pages and the index of topics. I also have subscribed to this thread
Pedro

It has 15 pages. It's more of an advertising pamphlet than a book.
Thank´s Tom
Pedro

RE: The Programming Book - A Guide To Programmable Calculators by Hewlett-Packard - Archilog - 03-23-2018 04:05 PM

Thank you, Bob, and many thanks to the donor.

I'll stay tuned!

Archi

RE: The Programming Book - A Guide To Programmable Calculators by Hewlett-Packard - Didier Lachieze - 03-23-2018 05:07 PM

Here is what was published about this guide in Traffic Engineering - 1977:

Quote:Advanced and Programmable Calculators. Hewlett Packard has published two new booklets: "What to Look for Before You Buy an Advanced Calculator" and "The Programming Book — A Guide to Programmable Calculators." The former is an analysis of available types of scientific, business and programmable calculators, designed as a guide for the buyer with little or no knowledge of available functions, operating languages and specialized calculators. The latter is written for the calculator-programming beginner interested in learning the basics of program-based problem solving and prepurchase calculator evaluation. It is also for the experienced programmer as a reference book of the many keyboard functions and edit features now available. Both are free from Inquiries Manager, Hewlett-Packard Co. 1000 N.E. Circle Blvd., Corvallis, Oregon 97330.

And in The Magazine of Bank Administration - 1976:

Quote:Advanced Calculator Guide. A 24-page booklet that offers an objective look at advanced calculators is available from Hewlett-Packard. “What To Look For Before You Buy An Advanced Calculator” is a readable, comprehensive analysis of available types of scientific, business and programmable calculators. It is designed as a guide for the calculator buyer with little or no knowledge of available functions, operating languages and specialized calculators. Chapters include an introduction to advanced calculators, operating languages, functions and features, programmables, support material and calculator construction. Charts are provided to aid the reader in understanding both keyboard and internal operations.

Programmable Calculator Guide. A 16-page booklet designed to provide both the programmable calculator owner and prospective buyer with an objective introduction to programming is available from Hewlett-Packard. “The Programming Book—A Guide to Programmable Calculators” is written for the calculator-programming beginner interested in leaming the basics of program-based problem solving and pre-purchase calculator evaluation. lt is also written for the experienced programmer as a reference book of the many keyboard functions and edit features now available. Chapters include an introduction to problem solving, steps to writing and using effective programs, programming features and choosing a programmable calculator. The program writing chapter includes descriptions of flowcharting, testing and editing. The features chapter includes sections discussing transferring, flags and counters, subroutines and indirect control. Additional sections explain how to evaluate program capacity, the importance of preprogrammed functions and how to compare calculator construction and manufacturer's support.

RE: The Programming Book - A Guide To Programmable Calculators by Hewlett-Packard - PedroLeiva - 03-23-2018 05:12 PM

(03-23-2018 05:07 PM)Didier Lachieze Wrote:  Here is what was published about this guide in Traffic Engineering - 1977:
Very interesting citation, thank´s Didier

Pedro

RE: The Programming Book - A Guide To Programmable Calculators by Hewlett-Packard - rprosperi - 03-23-2018 06:31 PM

(03-23-2018 05:07 PM)Didier Lachieze Wrote:  Here is what was published about this guide in Traffic Engineering - 1977:

Quote:Advanced and Programmable Calculators. Hewlett Packard has published two new booklets: "What to Look for Before You Buy an Advanced Calculator" and "The Programming Book — A Guide to Programmable Calculators." The former is an analysis of available types of scientific, business and programmable calculators, designed as a guide for the buyer with little or no knowledge of available functions, operating languages and specialized calculators. The latter is written for the calculator-programming beginner interested in learning the basics of program-based problem solving and prepurchase calculator evaluation. It is also for the experienced programmer as a reference book of the many keyboard functions and edit features now available. Both are free from Inquiries Manager, Hewlett-Packard Co. 1000 N.E. Circle Blvd., Corvallis, Oregon 97330.

I have the "What to look for..." guide too; I was waiting to acquire "The Programming Book" to share them as a set, and just (almost) checked that box. Once I receive the latter and get them scanned, I'll share them here. The "What to look for..." was going to be an extra surprise, but Didier ruined that. Wink

Note: Be sure to thank hp41cx too, as his generosity made this possible.

RE: The Programming Book - A Guide To Programmable Calculators by Hewlett-Packard - pier4r - 03-23-2018 08:29 PM

Thanks also to hp41cx!

RE: The Programming Book - A Guide To Programmable Calculators by Hewlett-Packard - Didier Lachieze - 03-23-2018 09:38 PM

(03-23-2018 06:31 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  The "What to look for..." was going to be an extra surprise, but Didier ruined that. Wink

Sorry...

RE: The Programming Book - A Guide To Programmable Calculators by Hewlett-Packard - rprosperi - 03-23-2018 11:29 PM

(03-23-2018 09:38 PM)Didier Lachieze Wrote:  
(03-23-2018 06:31 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  The "What to look for..." was going to be an extra surprise, but Didier ruined that. Wink

Sorry...

Kidding my friend, only kidding! In fact, what you've done is to help build up anticipation for these vintage docs. Lets just hope it remains high for the month it will take to get the docs delivered, scanned and shared.

RE: The Programming Book - A Guide To Programmable Calculators by Hewlett-Packard - Don Shepherd - 03-24-2018 12:51 AM

Thanks for sharing these (in the future), Bob, much appreciated.

Don

RE: The Programming Book - A Guide To Programmable Calculators by Hewlett-Packard - rprosperi - 05-06-2018 04:20 PM

OK, for those waiting for these docs, here they are:

The Programming Book - A Guide to Programmable Calculators

What to Look for Before You Buy an Advanced Calculator

and as a Bonus:

Scientific Problems The Easy Way (HP-25)

I encourage anyone with similar vintage HP (or about HP stuff even if not created by HP) documents, brochures, pamphlets, guides, etc. to share them, so the community can enjoy them too.

My thanks to hp41cx for making 'The Programming Book' available.

RE: The Programming Book - A Guide To Programmable Calculators by Hewlett-Packard - Archilog - 05-06-2018 08:04 PM

Great!
And with bonus: at least one week of happy reading!
Many thanks, rprosperi!

RE: The Programming Book - A Guide To Programmable Calculators by Hewlett-Packard - Sylvain Cote - 05-06-2018 08:08 PM

Thank you very much Robert!
Sylvain