HP Forums
WP 34s pocket reference - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Not HP Calculators (/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: Not quite HP Calculators - but related (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: WP 34s pocket reference (/thread-1094.html)

WP 34s pocket reference - nsg - 04-14-2014 12:55 AM

Thanks To Jonathan's Cameron invaluable help I have updated WP 34s pocket reference.

Links to the smart-phone viewable pdf and foldbook-formatted pdf are at
http://nsg.upor.net/wp34spr

The changes include reference card for the back of the cover and a lot of minor grammar fixes, nothing major.

It describes 3.2 firmware and does not include those new commands of 3.3 that we all have been so excited about.

EDIT. I have no idea why I wrote Jonathan's name wrong. I am so sorry.

RE: WP 34s pocket reference - Jonathan Cameron - 04-14-2014 01:15 AM

(04-14-2014 12:55 AM)nsg Wrote:  Thanks To James' Cameron invaluable help I have updated WP 34s pocket reference.

It was fun helping out! I printed my copy on 16 lb paper (normal is 20 lb) here in the USA and it worked out pretty nicely.

I hope we can persuade Andrew to get it printed professionally!

-Jonathan Cameron (no relation to director James Cameron, although I have met him)

RE: WP 34s pocket reference - Paul Dale - 04-14-2014 02:10 AM

There are only two new commands for the next firmware release YDON and YDOFF. The set or clear the internal system flag #50. If set Y is displayed in the top line. The default is not.

The other changes improve the display of various things mostly relating to using the dot matrix line more effectively.

- Pauli

RE: WP 34s pocket reference - Paul Dale - 04-14-2014 02:13 AM

Is the presence of RMF in the mode menu correct? Shouldn't it be just RM as listed in the command list further down?

- Pauli

RE: WP 34s pocket reference - nsg - 04-15-2014 01:19 AM

(04-14-2014 02:13 AM)Paul Dale Wrote:  Is the presence of RMF in the mode menu correct?

I am not sure where that RMF came from. I corrected it and reupload the file.
Thank you.

RE: WP 34s pocket reference - Thomas Klemm - 05-01-2014 09:06 PM

(04-14-2014 12:55 AM)nsg Wrote:  Links to the smart-phone viewable pdf and foldbook-formatted pdf are at
http://nsg.upor.net/wp34spr
There's a minor typo in PERM:
\[
P_{x,y}=\frac{y!}{(y-x)!}
\]
should be:
\[
P_{y,x}=\frac{y!}{(y-x)!}
\]

Cheers
Thomas

RE: WP 34s pocket reference - drdbthompson - 11-22-2018 06:18 PM

Although I'm very late to this game, I recently acquired a WP 34s and wanted a small guide for the calculator. Thanks to Andrew, I have one, although it is a little out of date regarding the firmware.

I emailed Andrew and asked if there are any plans to update the guide. I doubt there are many changes, but a few functions might have been moved between the various menus.

I'm attaching photographs of my first attempt at constructing a booklet. For projects like this, I almost always find myself making two or three instances before I arrive at something I like.

Changes to my next construction include:
1) I will take the cover PDF to the local print shop and have a few copies printed on heavy stock.
2) I will use my prototype to make some additional measurements so I get the cuts right.
3) I will move the stitch holes a little toward the top and bottom of the pages to provide a little additional strength to the booklet.
4) I'll add a little bookbinders tape to the spine to cover the stitches.

I have never cared for staples for bookbinding. For a small project like this one, stitching does not add much effort and produces a better (at least to my eyes) result. White thread would help, of course. Wink Attached are a couple of photographs of my first attempt.

Thanks for the hard work to produce this booklet, Andrew.

[attachment=6617]
[attachment=6618]

RE: WP 34s pocket reference - burkhard - 11-23-2018 04:05 AM

Looks super—I need a couple of these!
Any plans to make a batch?
Walter’s manual is great, but something small to keep with the calculator in my briefcase would make a nice addition.

RE: WP 34s pocket reference - Didier Lachieze - 11-23-2018 09:18 AM

I’ve made a few pocket guides for my own usage. I have one sample remaining from Andrew’s initial version that I can ship to anybody interested in this early version.

RE: WP 34s pocket reference - burkhard - 11-26-2018 10:39 PM

(11-23-2018 09:18 AM)Didier Lachieze Wrote:  I’ve made a few pocket guides for my own usage. I have one sample remaining from Andrew’s initial version that I can ship to anybody interested in this early version.

I think I am OK making my own, but is the PDF by Andrew Nikitin based on the 3.2 flash level (rev date: 2014-04-14) the latest available?

Now that continued feature development of the WP-34S project appears finished (bugfixes only from here out, I surmise), it would be great if those final few changes made in firmware 3.3 were in incorporated into the Quick Reference Guide.

Are the original "pocket reference" players no longer involved?

Are the editable (not PDF) files out there somewhere? It's so close... :-)

RE: WP 34s pocket reference - Thomas Klemm - 11-27-2018 07:32 AM

From Profile of nsg:
Quote:Last Visit: 07.02.2018 22:09
Thus you might have to contact Andrew by email or private message.

Cheers
Thomas

RE: WP 34s pocket reference - rprosperi - 11-27-2018 01:55 PM

(11-26-2018 10:39 PM)burkhard Wrote:  Now that continued feature development of the WP-34S project appears finished (bugfixes only from here out, I surmise), it would be great if those final few changes made in firmware 3.3 were in incorporated into the Quick Reference Guide.

Though I do not recall the specific changes, the WP34S improvements from 3.2 -> 3.3 are few and not dramatic, possibly even not discernible in the QRG. So, while likely worth researching to be 100% sure, I'd suggest that the existing QRG is still applicable and accurate as-is. Though I don't use my copy often, I don't recall ever finding an error or conflict.

RE: WP 34s pocket reference - burkhard - 11-27-2018 03:14 PM

(11-27-2018 01:55 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  
(11-26-2018 10:39 PM)burkhard Wrote:  Now that continued feature development of the WP-34S project appears finished (bugfixes only from here out, I surmise), it would be great if those final few changes made in firmware 3.3 were in incorporated into the Quick Reference Guide.

Though I do not recall the specific changes, the WP34S improvements from 3.2 -> 3.3 are few and not dramatic, possibly even not discernible in the QRG. So, while likely worth researching to be 100% sure, I'd suggest that the existing QRG is still applicable and accurate as-is. Though I don't use my copy often, I don't recall ever finding an error or conflict.

Yes, it's really close, but there are a couple of things that were added to menus or moved from one menu to the other. I agree that the 3.2 version is 99+% correct, but the persnickety engineer in me sees some tiny updates that would make it "perfect" if the document source files are available somewhere. That's all.

RE: WP 34s pocket reference - rprosperi - 11-27-2018 06:05 PM

(11-27-2018 03:14 PM)burkhard Wrote:  ...the persnickety engineer in me sees some tiny updates that would make it "perfect" if the document source files are available somewhere.

I get it. Knowing for sure there are specific errors would aggravate me a bit each time I referenced that section. Like you, persnicketyness runs in my veins too for things like this.

So, please don't tell me the exact places that the guide is incorrect. There are multiple ways to combat aggravation... Smile

RE: WP 34s pocket reference - burkhard - 11-27-2018 06:37 PM

(11-27-2018 06:05 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  
(11-27-2018 03:14 PM)burkhard Wrote:  ...the persnickety engineer in me sees some tiny updates that would make it "perfect" if the document source files are available somewhere.

I get it. Knowing for sure there are specific errors would aggravate me a bit each time I referenced that section. Like you, persnicketyness runs in my veins too for things like this.

So, please don't tell me the exact places that the guide is incorrect. There are multiple ways to combat aggravation... Smile

Sorry, I wasn't trying to be evasive. It's been a while since I've looked into the 3.2→3.3 differences.

I just dug out my 3.3 manual. If you have that, it's covered in the Release Notes on page 400.

Among the changes:
•The commands YDOFF and YDON were added to the MODE menu to control whether the Y-register is visible on the upper line.
•The commands E3ON/OFF were renamed to TSON/OFF (thousands separator control)
•Some obscure (to me) Gamma function variants renamed
•Fraction entry changes (not sure of the specifics or if this needs a change to pocket ref)
•changes for output of →REC and →POL (not sure of the specifics or if this needs a change to pocket ref)
•Maybe some other stuff... it's a little unclear to me which of the edits to the manual were done as a result of firmware updates 3.2→3.3 and which were just general improvements to the manual that came in around the same time.

RE: WP 34s pocket reference - Didier Lachieze - 11-27-2018 07:31 PM

I've updated the v3.2 pocket reference pdf file with the 3.3 changes for my own usage. However the copyright notice prevents me to distribute the modified file.

RE: WP 34s pocket reference - cdmackay - 11-27-2018 08:42 PM

Slightly OT: is there a newer online/electronic/PDF version of the manual than v3.1 30/11/2012?

I can only find later versions available as printed manuals.

thanks.

RE: WP 34s pocket reference - rprosperi - 11-27-2018 09:03 PM

@burkhard - darn it, you weren't listening... now knowing the changes will make me wonder where my QRG is inaccurate... and Didier's note seems to confirm it... I can feel the stress building already.

@cdmackay - there is (was?) also a PDF edition of version 3.3 of the WP34S manual available from Walter Bonin (the author), which is customized with the buyer's name, etc. to help mitigate re-distribution. Although still 'on vacation' here on the forum, I think you can still email Walter using the forum link in his profile, but if that fails, let me know in a PM and I can get you a direct address.

The details are in this thread: http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-3612.html

Also, note that Walter has recently suggested he is reconsidering the public (unlimited) release of the v3.3 manual, due to the mature nature of the project, so possibly it's best to hold on a short while to see if that (hopefully) comes true.

RE: WP 34s pocket reference - burkhard - 11-27-2018 09:19 PM

(11-27-2018 09:03 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  @cdmackay - there is (was?) also a PDF edition of version 3.3 of the WP34S manual available from Walter Bonin (the author), which is customized with the buyer's name, etc. to help mitigate re-distribution. Although still 'on vacation' here on the forum, I think you can still email Walter using the forum link in his profile, but if that fails, let me know in a PM and I can get you a direct address.

The details are in this thread: http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-3612.html

Also, note that Walter has recently suggested he is reconsidering the public (unlimited) release of the v3.3 manual, due to the mature nature of the project, so possibly it's best to hold on a short while to see if that (hopefully) comes true.

Last December, I got a PDF copy from Walter that way. I think the cost might have been 11€ or something. I have the printed book as well, but when I want to find something (and the documentation is *packed* with details), searching the PDF is really quite handy. I keep a copy in my Dropbox so I can access it from wherever I happen to be working from.

I didn't mind having my name in the footer of the PDF to help prevent copyright abuse. I am hoping though, that he considers removing the giant yellow "PLEASE RESPECT COPYRIGHT" watermark from every page. I think that is jarring and in fact unnecessary if the owner's name is in the footer of every page already.

But watermark or not, it's a great manual and a worthwhile purchase. I've said it before, but the footnotes where Walter caustically opines about all sorts of stuff are hilarious. I believe that he added a bunch between the free v3.1 and the final v3.3. Good stuff.

RE: WP 34s pocket reference - cdmackay - 11-27-2018 10:36 PM

thanks both!