HP Forums
TI59 -Powering with a regulated 5vdc - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Not HP Calculators (/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: Not remotely HP Calculators (/forum-9.html)
+--- Thread: TI59 -Powering with a regulated 5vdc (/thread-12506.html)

TI59 -Powering with a regulated 5vdc - Jlouis - 02-26-2019 12:38 AM

I read in this site here that we can power a TI-59 with a regulated 5VDC, without the battery pack.

As I have this regulated source, I tested in mine 59 and it worked, but sometimes it became intermittently erratic.

I know the calculator have a regulator circuit to charge the battery and adapt to a certain voltage and this led me to question if this already regulated and rectified voltage can damage anyway the calculator circuit.

Edit: my regulated power source is up to 5A.

I thank you in advance for whatever enlightenment in this subject.

Cheers

JL

RE: TI59 -Powering with a regulated 5vdc - budmur - 03-01-2019 01:32 AM

Even though the supply is regulated, you may be getting some ripple in the output. You can try putting a bypass capacitor across the output. Something in the 10s of microfarads should work fine.

RE: TI59 -Powering with a regulated 5vdc - Jlouis - 03-01-2019 11:59 PM

(03-01-2019 01:32 AM)budmur Wrote:  Even though the supply is regulated, you may be getting some ripple in the output. You can try putting a bypass capacitor across the output. Something in the 10s of microfarads should work fine.

That's a good idea!

Thanks

JL

RE: TI59 -Powering with a regulated 5vdc - Jlouis - 03-02-2019 08:47 PM

(03-01-2019 01:32 AM)budmur Wrote:  Even though the supply is regulated, you may be getting some ripple in the output. You can try putting a bypass capacitor across the output. Something in the 10s of microfarads should work fine.

It worked!

Really thanks!

Best Regards

JL