HP Forums
Help!Missing Functions - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum)
+-- Forum: HP Calculators (and very old HP Computers) (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: General Forum (/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Help!Missing Functions (/thread-14278.html)

Help!Missing Functions - markusmartinez1977 - 12-31-2019 03:58 PM

Hello everybody, so I picked up an HP48SX and it appears to be missing some functions. For example, I am trying to use the function to change HMS to degrees decimal. I press shift TIME and I get the message "EMPTY CATALOG" this isn't the only time that this happens but it is the first and more important functions that I use. It seems as like some of the original functions have been erased. I tried resetting the calculator and that did not fix the problem. Does anyone have and solutions for this?

RE: Help!Missing Functions - Dave Britten - 12-31-2019 07:48 PM

Make sure you're pressing the orange/left shift key that matches the color of the "TIME" label over the 4 key. I don't have my 48SX in front of me (I keep it on my desk at work), but I believe right-shift TIME takes you directly to the alarm catalog, which is empty as you can see.

RE: Help!Missing Functions - markusmartinez1977 - 12-31-2019 09:54 PM

So the functions I am trying to find are the HMS-> and ->HMS from my recollection on the HP48gx that I used to own, those were located when pressing the right shift TIME. When I do the orange, left shift TIME, I get the clock and alarm options such as SET, ADJUST, ACK, ACKA, and CAT.

RE: Help!Missing Functions - rprosperi - 12-31-2019 11:39 PM

Dave is exactly right. The error msg seen in your screen shot is from pressing BLUE (aka Right)-shift and TIME, you need to press YELLOW (aka Left)-shift and TIME.

RE: Help!Missing Functions - Joe Horn - 01-01-2020 02:03 AM

(12-31-2019 11:39 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  Dave is exactly right. The error msg seen in your screen shot is from pressing BLUE (aka Right)-shift and TIME, you need to press YELLOW (aka Left)-shift and TIME.

... and then press either NXT NXT, or left-shift PREV, to see the HMS functions.

RE: Help!Missing Functions - Dave Britten - 01-01-2020 02:24 AM

(12-31-2019 09:54 PM)markusmartinez1977 Wrote:  So the functions I am trying to find are the HMS-> and ->HMS from my recollection on the HP48gx that I used to own, those were located when pressing the right shift TIME. When I do the orange, left shift TIME, I get the clock and alarm options such as SET, ADJUST, ACK, ACKA, and CAT.

That is correct for the GX, where they changed the menu system around a bit. On the GX, typically left-shift brings up the choose menu for the application, and right-shift takes you to the soft-key menu. On the SX, where choose menus don't exist, you just hit left-shift to get to the menu, and press NXT to get to what you need. The right-shifted application keys often take you to a specific sub-menu for that application that might be commonly used (the alarm catalog, in the case of the time application; I forget where the other ones lead).

And to clarify, the "application" keys on the 48SX have names printed in orange on a slightly darkened rectangle.

RE: Help!Missing Functions - markusmartinez1977 - 01-07-2020 02:41 PM

Thanks for all of your help everyone. I found it :-)