HP Forums
41C Surveying I module: Anything useful here for a layperson? - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum)
+-- Forum: HP Calculators (and very old HP Computers) (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: General Forum (/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: 41C Surveying I module: Anything useful here for a layperson? (/thread-14379.html)

41C Surveying I module: Anything useful here for a layperson? - Dave Britten - 01-17-2020 06:32 PM

I just got a 41CX that included a Surveying I module. I know almost nothing about surveying, aside from typing in a field angle traverse program for the 25 and running through an example problem. Is there anything I can make use of here, or should I look for someone that wants to trade for a Finance module? Smile (I already have Math/Stat and Advantage.)

RE: 41C Surveying I module: Anything useful here for a layperson? - Maximilian Hohmann - 01-17-2020 07:34 PM

Hello!

First I wouldn't know anything useful to do with a finance module either and second: no, I can't think of anything that one can use a surveying module for. I have been the the proud owner of a (very hard to find) dedicated surveying calculator, a Compucorp Surveyor, for some time now, but apart from admiring the craftmanship and the brautiful Panaplex display I have only used + - * and / ....

Regards
Max

RE: 41C Surveying I module: Anything useful here for a layperson? - Sylvain Cote - 01-17-2020 11:18 PM

I did a surveying module for the HP-71B in the 1980's and I used the following book to educate myself on the field.
The book has a little less than 1000 pages, is very complete, for sure out of date but the fundamental are all there.

Surveying Theory and Practice
by Raymond E. Davis ; James M. Anderson ; Francis S. Foote & Edward M. Mikhail
Available on AbeBooks at very interesting price. (less than $15 with free shipping)

Sylvain

RE: 41C Surveying I module: Anything useful here for a layperson? - Dave Britten - 01-18-2020 12:46 AM

I do have an old "Elementary Surveying" book ('70s, I think). Maybe I should crack it open and see what I can figure out. Not that I actually have any surveying tools or anything...

RE: 41C Surveying I module: Anything useful here for a layperson? - RMollov - 01-18-2020 09:24 AM

I strongly doubt any surveyor uses this module/HP-41 these days. Last time I did was more than 20 years ago. Technology went far ahead and made them obsolete, for real life surveying purpose that is.

Cheers,

RE: 41C Surveying I module: Anything useful here for a layperson? - twdeckard - 01-19-2020 01:44 AM

if you were trying to solve navigation problems, surveying is really a very precise form of navigation. The traverse function might be useful if you were dead reckoning or orienteering? Likely these are as obscure as the Surveying module Smile

I will just put in a plug that if you are fascinated by navigation, the old surveyors on the internet are an incredible resource and they are invariably very familiar with the 41/48 platforms.

best
Todd