HP Forums
newRPL - Updated to build 1510 [official build remains at 1487] - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Not HP Calculators (/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: Not quite HP Calculators - but related (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: newRPL - Updated to build 1510 [official build remains at 1487] (/thread-14562.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

RE: newRPL - Updated to build 1510 [official build remains at 1487] - Gilles - 08-16-2023 02:21 PM

Hi Claudio,

There is a problem with the SORT command, both with build 1510 and 1487 :

Code:
{ "a" "c" "b" } SORT
returns an error : " Expected a real number"

and
Code:
{ { 1 "A" } { 2 "B" }} SORT
=> Crash badly

EDIT : I just saw in the newRPL WIKI that SORT only applies to numbers for now. I will add in LstX a LSORT command that sorts other types of objects , and a command inspired by KSORT for specific sorts. Could be something like :

{ "ABCD" "AAAAA" "B" "BB" } « SIZE » KSORT
=> { "B" "BB" "ABCD" "AAAAA" }

new EDIT ;D : I ve created a thread for the new and futures versions of LstX :
https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-20345.html

I've add strings manipulation commands and comparaison, and a new DOSORT command (to sort list of strings, or things like "sort this list of words by number of letters).

RE: newRPL - Updated to build 1510 [official build remains at 1487] - Claudio L. - 08-20-2023 10:45 PM

(08-16-2023 02:21 PM)Gilles Wrote:  Hi Claudio,

There is a problem with the SORT command, both with build 1510 and 1487 :

Code:
{ "a" "c" "b" } SORT
returns an error : " Expected a real number"

and
Code:
{ { 1 "A" } { 2 "B" }} SORT
=> Crash badly

EDIT : I just saw in the newRPL WIKI that SORT only applies to numbers for now. I will add in LstX a LSORT command that sorts other types of objects , and a command inspired by KSORT for specific sorts. Could be something like :

{ "ABCD" "AAAAA" "B" "BB" } « SIZE » KSORT
=> { "B" "BB" "ABCD" "AAAAA" }

new EDIT ;D : I ve created a thread for the new and futures versions of LstX :
https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-20345.html

I've add strings manipulation commands and comparaison, and a new DOSORT command (to sort list of strings, or things like "sort this list of words by number of letters).

I took a quick look and here's what's happening:
SORT uses the overloaded operator CMP (compare) to compare individual items. For lists, this operator is not atomic, as it triggers a DOLIST comparing element-by-element as per list processing rules. There was a bug that caused a crash, since SORT was supposed to run CMP as an atomic operation, allowing DOLIST to complete. I fixed that in the source code, will come fixed in the next release.

As far as why string comparisons don't work, it's because the operations to compare strings aren't well defined for Unicode strings (what's the order of "a","á", "ä" and "b"?), so they aren't implemented in newRPL (therefore there's no CMP operator for strings, which makes SORT fail).

For lists, there's currently some missing logic as well. CMP between 2 lists will return a list with CMP applied to all elements, and SORT should probably look through the list to find the first "not equal" element to decide. I'll see if I can add the logic to make this more robust. EDIT: Just did... will come out in the next update. Still no joy with the strings.

RE: newRPL - Updated to build 1510 [official build remains at 1487] - Gilles - 08-23-2023 08:33 PM

Hi all,

If you want access to the matrix commands with menu ans sub-menus and help with long press, this program assign all this to the LeftShift 5 key (like the stock Hp50g), click here

PS :
- I noticed that the newRPL (->SPHER) does not use the same convention as the RPL (SPHERE) for spherical coordinates. The angle φ in newRPL corresponds to (90-φ) in RPL
- There is a bug with multiplication in spheric or polar vector display. V1+V1 is OK, but 2*V1 is false (multiplies the angle...)
- About string comparaison ( < > ), imo if it works well for 0..9 A..Z and a..z and few others (UFT8 32.. 127), it will be OK 99,5% of the time, and just a comparaison between UTF8 value is OK for this. The order will just follow the UTF8 code. I have not verified how the Prime do for this.

RE: newRPL - Updated to build 1510 [official build remains at 1487] - Francois Lanciault - 10-31-2023 02:55 PM

Hi,

I have installed newRPL on my Prime G1. All is fine. However I was a bit surprised to see that, running my usual RPL benchmark, newRPL on the Prime runs at roughly half the speed as it does on the HP-50G.

Considering the Prime processor clock is more then twice the speed than the processor on the 50G and more recent, I wonder what makes newRPL runs more slowly on the prime.

Moreover the Python interpreter on the same Prime runs an implementation of the same benchmark 6X faster than newRPL. Different language I agree, but my impression was that newRPL, being written in C, was very close to the host hardware.

Ideas ?

RE: newRPL - Updated to build 1510 [official build remains at 1487] - Gilles - 10-31-2023 03:08 PM

(10-31-2023 02:55 PM)Francois Lanciault Wrote:  Hi,

I have installed newRPL on my Prime G1. All is fine. However I was a bit surprised to see that, running my usual RPL benchmark, newRPL on the Prime runs at roughly half the speed as it does on the HP-50G. (...)

Ideas ?

Hi,

USB connection ?

RE: newRPL - Updated to build 1510 [official build remains at 1487] - Francois Lanciault - 10-31-2023 03:13 PM

(10-31-2023 03:08 PM)Gilles Wrote:  Hi,

USB connection ?

Good point, I don’t remember if the prime was connected when I ran the test. I will check tonight.

RE: newRPL - Updated to build 1510 [official build remains at 1487] - Francois Lanciault - 11-01-2023 02:27 AM

(10-31-2023 03:13 PM)Francois Lanciault Wrote:  
(10-31-2023 03:08 PM)Gilles Wrote:  Hi,

USB connection ?

Good point, I don’t remember if the prime was connected when I ran the test. I will check tonight.

USB is not the answer. I’ve got the same timing with the calculator unplugged. Anybody can confirm ?

François

RE: newRPL - Updated to build 1510 [official build remains at 1487] - Doug (NYC) - 11-16-2023 03:08 AM

Sorry for this really basic question, but I can't find it in the manual.

I just flashed 1509 into my HP Prime G1 and have it running... but how do I turn the calculator off??

I would have thought it would tell you here: https://newrpl.wiki.hpgcc3.org/doku.php?id=manual:chapter2:keyboard

But apparently I'm stuck with a mostly on calculator cause I'm too ignorant to know how to turn it off with buttons, except for the OFF RPL command. Smile

Thanks!

RE: newRPL - Updated to build 1510 [official build remains at 1487] - spiff72 - 11-16-2023 11:50 AM

(11-16-2023 03:08 AM)Doug (NYC) Wrote:  Sorry for this really basic question, but I can't find it in the manual.

I just flashed 1509 into my HP Prime G1 and have it running... but how do I turn the calculator off??

I would have thought it would tell you here: https://newrpl.wiki.hpgcc3.org/doku.php?id=manual:chapter2:keyboard

But apparently I'm stuck with a mostly on calculator cause I'm too ignorant to know how to turn it off with buttons, except for the OFF RPL command. Smile

Thanks!

I had the same issue…

Press and hold escape key and then press the On button.

RE: newRPL - Updated to build 1510 [official build remains at 1487] - n3mmr - 11-17-2023 02:27 PM

Is there a description of the keyboard layout on the Prime G1???

Also, how do I revert to stock G1 ROM???? The instructions in the wiki have no effect!!!! HELP!!!

RE: newRPL - Updated to build 1510 [official build remains at 1487] - spiff72 - 11-17-2023 02:51 PM

(11-17-2023 02:27 PM)n3mmr Wrote:  Is there a description of the keyboard layout on the Prime G1???

Also, how do I revert to stock G1 ROM???? The instructions in the wiki have no effect!!!! HELP!!!

This is a photo of my keyboard overlay (key labels) for newRPL on the Prime G1.

https://imgur.com/gallery/n9VK5R6

I have never attempted to revert from newRPL to stock, and I just tried the wiki instructions unsuccessfully.

If all else fails, you can just run it until the battery is completely dead, and it will revert back to stock on its own. Or maybe just pull the battery?

Or even better, press the hidden reset button on the back. That just worked for me to bring it back to stock. You can get back to newRPL by pressing On(hold), Symb(hold), and then tap Esc. This is a very fiddly process, and timing is tricky. I usually just start mashing the keys until it brings me to the system menu (not sure that is the correct term, but you will know it when you see it).

RE: newRPL - Updated to build 1510 [official build remains at 1487] - spiff72 - 11-17-2023 02:56 PM

(11-17-2023 02:51 PM)spiff72 Wrote:  
(11-17-2023 02:27 PM)n3mmr Wrote:  Is there a description of the keyboard layout on the Prime G1???

This is a photo of my keyboard overlay (key labels) for newRPL on the Prime G1.

I have never attempted to revert from newRPL to stock, and I just tried the wiki instructions unsuccessfully.

If all else fails, you can just run it until the battery is completely dead, and it will revert back to stock on its own. Or maybe just pull the battery?

Or even better, press the hidden reset button on the back. That just worked for me to bring it back to stock. You can get back to newRPL by pressing On(hold), Symb(hold), and then tap Esc. This is a very fiddly process, and timing is tricky. I usually just start mashing the keys until it brings me to the system menu (not sure that is the correct term, but you will know it when you see it).

To get BACK to newRPL, I just tried again, and I get reasonably repeatable results by doing the following:

With the calc on in the stock OS, press and hold ON and then press and hold Symb. The screen will go black. When the screen goes black, press and hold ESC and release the other two keys. The timing of the pressing of the ESC key is the tricky part.

You will eventually get to a screen that says you are about to erase something. Just press the SYMB key under the "CONT" text at the bottom of the screen, and you are back in newRPL.

RE: newRPL - Updated to build 1510 [official build remains at 1487] - Doug (NYC) - 11-17-2023 04:27 PM

(11-16-2023 11:50 AM)spiff72 Wrote:  Press and hold escape key and then press the On button.

Interesting. It turns off when you release both the Esc and On keys. Thanks!

RE: newRPL - Updated to build 1510 [official build remains at 1487] - n3mmr - 11-17-2023 06:43 PM

I haven't seen anything from Claudio in a long time.
Is he still actively developing newrpl?

RE: newRPL - Updated to build 1510 [official build remains at 1487] - Claudio L. - 11-21-2023 03:58 AM

(11-17-2023 06:43 PM)n3mmr Wrote:  I haven't seen anything from Claudio in a long time.
Is he still actively developing newrpl?

I moved, took a new job and now I'm coding for a living which means my wrists are getting a full workout, so in my spare time I'm forced to stay away from keyboards. My carpal tunnel can't take the abuse it used to anymore so development is almost halted for the time being, but newRPL isn't dead until we declare it dead.

RE: newRPL - Updated to build 1510 [official build remains at 1487] - Claudio L. - 11-21-2023 04:12 AM

(11-17-2023 02:56 PM)spiff72 Wrote:  
(11-17-2023 02:51 PM)spiff72 Wrote:  This is a photo of my keyboard overlay (key labels) for newRPL on the Prime G1.

To get BACK to newRPL, I just tried again, and I get reasonably repeatable results by doing the following:

With the calc on in the stock OS, press and hold ON and then press and hold Symb. The screen will go black. When the screen goes black, press and hold ESC and release the other two keys. The timing of the pressing of the ESC key is the tricky part.

You will eventually get to a screen that says you are about to erase something. Just press the SYMB key under the "CONT" text at the bottom of the screen, and you are back in newRPL.

The pattern is that every reboot or reset, holding ESC wil switch to the "other" OS, from whatever you were using right before the reset.
The exception to the rule is paperclip reset or dead battery will always go back to HP OS, to switch to newRPL you'll need to do the ESC hold again.

It isn't hard really:
On+Symbol will do a reset in Prime OS, and with the other hand hold ESC for a second or two then let go. Timing isn't that critical but when the screen goes black go and press Esc. You'll get newRPL wipeout screen.
To get back is something very familiar, but remember ESC is the old On, so ESC+A+F and you'll get the option to do a reset. Do that and once the screen goes black you need to press and hold ESC.

RE: newRPL - Updated to build 1510 [official build remains at 1487] - n3mmr - 11-21-2023 02:56 PM

(11-21-2023 04:12 AM)Claudio L. Wrote:  
(11-17-2023 02:56 PM)spiff72 Wrote:  To get BACK to newRPL, I just tried again, and I get reasonably repeatable results by doing the following:

The pattern is that every reboot or reset, holding ESC wil switch to the "other" OS, from whatever you were using right before the reset.
The exception to the rule is paperclip reset or dead battery will always go back to HP OS, to switch to newRPL you'll need to do the ESC hold again.

It isn't hard really:
On+Symbol will do a reset in Prime OS, and with the other hand hold ESC for a second or two then let go. Timing isn't that critical but when the screen goes black go and press Esc. You'll get newRPL wipeout screen.
To get back is something very familiar, but remember ESC is the old On, so ESC+A+F and you'll get the option to do a reset. Do that and once the screen goes black you need to press and hold ESC.

Is there any documentatio on how to map wiki instructions for the 50g to the Prime G1?
Like how to do RS+M for menus?

Maybe some config file or source file on github?

RE: newRPL - Updated to build 1510 [official build remains at 1487] - Francois Lanciault - 11-21-2023 03:15 PM

Hi Claudio,

I wonder if you saw this post ? Not that it matters really, but I am intrigued.

François

I have installed newRPL on my Prime G1. All is fine. However I was a bit surprised to see that, running my usual RPL benchmark, newRPL on the Prime runs at roughly half the speed as it does on the HP-50G.

Considering the Prime processor clock is more then twice the speed than the processor on the 50G and more recent, I wonder what makes newRPL runs more slowly on the prime.

Moreover the Python interpreter on the same Prime runs an implementation of the same benchmark 6X faster than newRPL. Different language I agree, but my impression was that newRPL, being written in C, was very close to the host hardware.

Ideas ?

It's a mystery to me... - Klaus - 11-27-2023 12:24 PM

I had to reinstall the stock ROM on my HP50 after using the NewRPL ROM for a long time. After the installation, I discovered that the HOME directory with all user files, all the libraries I had installed, and all the special settings of the computer were there as originally --- as if by magic. How is that possible? I always thought that when the NewRPL operating system was installed on the HP50, all memory would be rewritten, meaning everything would be deleted. Can someone explain this to me -- would be very grateful!
Greetings Klaus

RE: newRPL - Updated to build 1510 [official build remains at 1487] - Klaus - 11-28-2023 10:01 AM

(11-21-2023 03:15 PM)Francois Lanciault Wrote:  Hi Claudio,

I wonder if you saw this post ? Not that it matters really, but I am intrigued.

François

Ideas ?