HP Forums
HP-48GX key stiffness - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum)
+-- Forum: HP Calculators (and very old HP Computers) (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: General Forum (/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: HP-48GX key stiffness (/thread-15162.html)

Pages: 1 2

RE: HP-48GX key stiffness - Kostas Kritsilas - 03-30-2021 01:01 AM

My 48GX, serial number ID902002368 has keys that feel somewhat softer than the ones on my HP-65.

It is a Made in Indonesia unit.

RE: HP-48GX key stiffness - Jonathan Busby - 03-31-2021 09:09 PM

I have multiple HP48GXs and one is a unit that was manufactured in Indonesia. I can confirm that the keys feel a bit stiffer and the sound made when pressing them is different and louder than the HP48GXs made in Singapore. Also, my first Indonesian made HP48GX had a black on yellow / gold screen with discolorations in the bottom left and right corners ( see here ) -- I think I took that unit back to where I purchased it ( Fry's I think ) and got a new one without the defect. Many of the units had that defect if you read the archived HP Museum forum post to which I linked. Also, with or without the batteries in, the Indonesian made HP48GXs feel lighter than the Singapore manufactured ones possibly due to a cheaper build quality. Also, and this is important, AFAIK, after HP stopped manufacturing HP48GXs in Singapore and switched to Indonesia and China, the keys were *painted* and no longer injection molded. Other differences include the removal of the Zener diode in most of the units, although I don't know if my Indonesian manufactured unit is one of them as I don't want to do surgery on it ( at least not yet Tongue ).

Regards,

Jonathan