HP Forums
Bug, error, or junk - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum)
+-- Forum: HP Calculators (and very old HP Computers) (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: HP Prime (/forum-5.html)
+--- Thread: Bug, error, or junk (/thread-15329.html)

Bug, error, or junk - Davidy - 07-10-2020 09:26 PM

My HP Prime won't solve a simple SAS triangle when the known angle is 90 degrees.

In the triangle solver screen asking for 3 of 6 values I enter 11 and 14 for the x and y values, and 90 degrees for the angle, and I get an error "No solution with given data"

In the triangle solver screen for right triangles asking for 2 of 5 values I enter 11 and 14 for the x and y values and get the same error message.

This has to be one of the simplest computations ever and the Prime can't handle it?

RE: Bug, error, or junk - ijabbott - 07-10-2020 10:05 PM

(07-10-2020 09:26 PM)Davidy Wrote:  My HP Prime won't solve a simple SAS triangle when the known angle is 90 degrees.

In the triangle solver screen asking for 3 of 6 values I enter 11 and 14 for the x and y values, and 90 degrees for the angle, and I get an error "No solution with given data"

In the triangle solver screen for right triangles asking for 2 of 5 values I enter 11 and 14 for the x and y values and get the same error message.

This has to be one of the simplest computations ever and the Prime can't handle it?

It works for me. The app doesn't show x and y. It shows a, b, c, A, B, and C. Which values are you filling in? Also, are you in degrees mode?

RE: Bug, error, or junk - DrD - 07-10-2020 10:12 PM

Ditto: ijabbott

The Triangle Solver app doesn't use x and y for side length, it uses a, b, and c.

Did you make sure your angle mode setting was set for degrees?

I tried your SAS example, and your right triangle example, both solved correctly on the emulator.

Possibly item two in your subject list?

RE: Bug, error, or junk - Davidy - 07-11-2020 04:06 AM

Well, I mentioned x and y to indicate the vertical and horizontal legs of the triangle.

Anyway, dumb me (I have just started using the Prime and haven't read the manual) but with further experimentation, I have found that the formulae won't accept a zero in the unknown boxes, you have to actually erase (backspace) any unknowns and only make entries in the known spaces.

All my other HPs were fairly intuitive, this one isn't. Maybe I should read the manual.

RE: Bug, error, or junk - trojdor - 08-18-2020 02:32 PM

(07-11-2020 04:06 AM)Davidy Wrote:  I have found that the formulae won't accept a zero in the unknown boxes, you have to actually erase (backspace) any unknowns and only make entries in the known spaces.

David,
You don't need to do multiple backspaces to erase each of the fields for a new calculation .... either in the triangle app, or any of the others that have multiple input fields (like function symbolic).

Before you do a new calculation, just hit Shift - Clear to quickly erase ALL the entry fields at once. (Much faster/easier.)

RE: Bug, error, or junk - KeithB - 08-18-2020 09:13 PM

Thanks for the tip, it took me a while to find clear hiding under the ESC key, but after that, it worked great!