HP Forums
Simplifying expression - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum)
+-- Forum: HP Calculators (and very old HP Computers) (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: HP Prime (/forum-5.html)
+--- Thread: Simplifying expression (/thread-16237.html)

Simplifying expression - oberfeli - 01-27-2021 04:44 PM

Hi,

I just picked up the HP Prime and tried some calculation with matrizes and so on.
I tried to deduct one expression from another, both containing the same variables. The result of the Prime was just the basic operation, not the simplified result others calculators give out. See the attached file.

Is there some trick?

Greetings

RE: Simplifying expression - Hlib - 01-28-2021 08:54 PM

(01-27-2021 04:44 PM)oberfeli Wrote:  Hi,

I just picked up the HP Prime and tried some calculation with matrizes and so on.
I tried to deduct one expression from another, both containing the same variables. The result of the Prime was just the basic operation, not the simplified result others calculators give out. See the attached file.

Is there some trick?

Greetings
Just off top. It is often much easier for me to calculate the
result manually (after all, I really studied, and did not sleep at
lectures). The results of hp-prime and hp-50g can never be
trusted 100%. If, after all the calculations, a building collapses
and many people die, it means that you have not studied all
the flags in your HP-50g well: -).

RE: Simplifying expression - oberfeli - 08-06-2021 12:11 PM

Your response does not help whatsoever and apparently didnt catch your attention as much as the lectures you attended.
In the first place why would I use a CAS?
Right, to save time.
Simple matrices calculations may be easy, but even in that case the HP Prime didnt deliver the expected result. I asked for help simplifying a expression in general as for other calculations doing the calculation manually ( why even bother using a calculator, human mind is obviously superior, it attended lectures) is not that easy and time efficient. Also a CAS calculator may be off in some edge cases but in general and in 99,9% of the time it should be right, at least in the year of 2021.

Verifying important results by hand is important, but doing everything manually is plainly stupid and that kind of response makes no sense whatsoever in a calculator forum.
Btw the CAS calculator of Texas Instruments has no problem with this kind of simplification at all.

RE: Simplifying expression - jfelten - 08-06-2021 11:35 PM

Is there some trick?

Greetings

There are 2 ways of accomplishing what you want.
1. Open the CAS settings (Shift+CAS). Set the "Simplify" option to maximum.
2. Tap the "simplify" button in CAS view, and then your expression in the parentheses. If the simplify function doesn't appear in the text field, it's because it will automatically have simplified your expression and put it in your CAS history. (note: you can copy an expression from your history into the text field by tapping on the item. Then, a "Copy" button will appear in the bottom-right of the screen. Tapping that button will copy the expression.)

RE: Simplifying expression - oberfeli - 08-12-2021 10:35 AM

(08-06-2021 11:35 PM)jfelten Wrote:  

Is there some trick?

Greetings

There are 2 ways of accomplishing what you want.
1. Open the CAS settings (Shift+CAS). Set the "Simplify" option to maximum.
2. Tap the "simplify" button in CAS view, and then your expression in the parentheses. If the simplify function doesn't appear in the text field, it's because it will automatically have simplified your expression and put it in your CAS history. (note: you can copy an expression from your history into the text field by tapping on the item. Then, a "Copy" button will appear in the bottom-right of the screen. Tapping that button will copy the expression.)
thanks a lot

RE: Simplifying expression - compsystems - 08-13-2021 12:12 PM

changing the simplification modes manually makes the CAS of the hp-prime impractical, this must also be possible from source code, XCAS has commands for this purpose.
I don't know if you agree with its inclusion in the list of symbolic commands.