HP Forums
Android RPN app? - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Not HP Calculators (/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: Not quite HP Calculators - but related (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Android RPN app? (/thread-16262.html)

Pages: 1 2

Android RPN app? - Ren - 01-30-2021 11:31 PM

Greetings,
I am curious which RPN calculator app you use on your Android device.
What do you like about it?
What don't you like about it?
I'm leaning toward one that will have the look and feel of a 15C or 16C, or maybe 48G.
I'm willing to pay (~$10) for a decent app that doesn't track or spy on me.
A search of "Android RPN" on this site only returned a thread that I didn't see any apps.
Thank you.

P.S. I am not sure if I should be using the "poll" option for these questions.

RE: Android RPN app? - ctrclckws - 01-30-2021 11:48 PM

There are several available.

Free42 is a rewrite that emulates an HP42S. The author, Thomas Okken is currently maintaining an extending it.

Touch RPN can emulate the Voyager series.

HP has published 12c and 15c emulators.
Also, Prime lite, and Prime Pro versions.
Some have reported that these are missing from Google play store.

RE: Android RPN app? - ijabbott - 01-30-2021 11:48 PM

Personally, I use Free42, Emu42 and Emu48. Emu42 and Emu48 are emulators, but you need to supply the ROM images yourself for Emu42. (There are ways to get those though, even if you don't own the emulated calculators.)

RE: Android RPN app? - Nigel (UK) - 01-30-2021 11:56 PM

Two main ones:
  • Free42 (of course!). I first used this on a Palm Zire Z22 about a thousand years ago and I've not been without it since. Available on a huge number of platforms (including the DM42 SwissMicros calculator if you want a version with a real keyboard). Good things: high precision (more than 30 significant figures); constant bug fixes and new features from Thomas Okken; an extremely reliable simulation of the HP42S. Bad things - nothing, really. It is basically an HP42S and if this isn't what you want then it might not suit you, but otherwise it's great.
  • Acron RPN Calculator FREE (there's a paid version as well, but try this first). I love this because as well as showing the stack it shows how each stack level has been reached in the form of an algebraic expression. It isn't programmable, however. If you display the complete keyboard on the screen at once it can be a little overwhelming.
(Both used on Android.)

Nigel (UK)

RE: Android RPN app? - Peet - 01-31-2021 12:09 AM

I like the go41c, a very good and free implementation of the HP-41C. But the paid version go41cx is a huge disappointment (can't load/save programs on latest android).

RE: Android RPN app? - Ren - 01-31-2021 01:23 AM

Wow! That was quick, even though I asked about Android apps, I went to
https://thomasokken.com/free42/

and downloaded the Linux version for the computer I'm currently on.

I'll probably load Free42 on my new Android tablet as well.

Thanks!

RE: Android RPN app? - Gamo - 01-31-2021 01:53 AM

For none programmable RPN calculator app on Android devices I used CalcTastic

To find this app in Google Play Store search: Scientific Calculator Plus

Here is the website to CalcTastic: https://calctastic.com/

This calculator can be use either as Algebraic (Prefix or Postfix) or RPN Calculator Modes

with three type of calculator.

1. Basic
2. Scientific
3. Programmer

I used the Basic with RPN mode most of the time for quick on the go calculations since it got all the must have everyday use funtions such as [%] [X^2] [1/x]
The stacks that can be set to specific user setting with feature included SWAP which is the [X<>Y] and DROP act like [R↓]
---------------------------------------------------------
For a programmable RPN calculator .

I used many app and one that is very popular is the Free42

I found that the Free42 is very powerful but need lot of learning to get use to it.

Instead I like the Touch 11i this calculator is the HP-11C simulator app that work just

like the 11C and the main advantage is that "programs can be load and save."

Other than that I also keep the original HP Calculator App
HP-15C
HP-12C
HP-12CP
HP Prime Pro
------------------------------------------------
Gamo

RE: Android RPN app? - Claudio L. - 01-31-2021 03:51 AM

A little rough around the edges, but newRPL also has an android app. The Linux desktop version we don't release it in binary form but you can compile from sources (like a good Linux citizen) simply following the wiki if you are up to it.

RE: Android RPN app? - john gustaf stebbins - 01-31-2021 08:25 AM

I most use Acron Calculator. This is a rework of the Acron RPN Calculator with CAS capabilities, though is still an RPN calculator. You build your algebraic statements using RPN commands and has pretty well thought out presentation of results. Checking my kids pre-algebra math was much easier with this than any other calculator.

Free42 is useful when I want a more pure RPN experience.

-jgs

RE: Android RPN app? - C.Ret - 01-31-2021 12:28 PM

Actually, I have got emulations of RPN's HP-41C, HP-11C, HP-12C, HP-15C and HP-16C running on my Android handy through the PockEmul application.

In the same time, I am not limited to RPN only, I get in the same application efficient emulations of a lot of other brands and models, with printers, plotters, extensions, ...

Non exhaustive list of brands and models:
CASIO fx8000g, PB-1000, Fx-890p, Z-1,...
Tandy/Radio Shack PC-2 PC-3
SHARP PC-1245, PC-1250, ... PC-1350, PC-1360,... PC-1401, PC-1403,... PC-1500, PC-1600,... PC-E500, PC-E550, ..., PC-G850V // a lot in (blue) Japanese or (brawn) international version //
Texas Instruments TI-57, TI-74 BASICAL, TI-95 PROCALC
Seiko, , Nec, General LBC, SANCO, ...

All session can be saved locally or on a dedicated Cloud page which make any sharing of displays, printings or program's codes really as easy as sending a tweet or transferring files on My Drive !

This allow me to use actually my handy as an pocket emulator on the field and make tests and developments or to write documents about my programs or tutorials on my PC where, with no extra charge, I can run all these emulated calculators full screen and easily exchange data, code and documents with my real pockets and calculators connected by data or audio cables to PC's connection toolkit applications.

Really a good application and a must to have for any serious old fashion computourist.

[attachment=9058]

RE: Android RPN app? - Maximilian Hohmann - 01-31-2021 12:30 PM

Hello!

I have several RPN calculators on my Android phone which I all use every now and then ("Touch11ifree", "RPNplus", "HP21", "WRPN 16c", "Free42", "a41CV", and some more). The one of the RPN apps that gets used most often however is "HP67".

But I must confess that the calculator app I use more than all the others together on the phone is "ti5x" which emulates the Ti58 and 59.

Regards
Max

RE: Android RPN app? - Peet - 01-31-2021 02:45 PM

(01-31-2021 12:30 PM)Maximilian Hohmann Wrote:  But I must confess that the calculator app I use more than all the others together on the phone is "ti5x" which emulates the Ti58 and 59.

But for that you have to learn AOS and that is quite incomprehensible and unnecessarily complicated

RE: Android RPN app? - Maximilian Hohmann - 01-31-2021 03:19 PM

Hello!

(01-31-2021 02:45 PM)Peet Wrote:  But for that you have to learn AOS and that is quite incomprehensible and unnecessarily complicated

Yes I know. It is extremely difficult indeed. But I like a challenge every now and then ;-)

Regards
Max

RE: Android RPN app? - Peet - 01-31-2021 03:50 PM

(01-31-2021 03:19 PM)Maximilian Hohmann Wrote:  Yes I know. It is extremely difficult indeed. But I like a challenge every now and then ;-)

I only know a few people who have understood AOS - there is no logik in this (that's why TI called it AOS instead of AOL). Big Grin
I gave up trying myself. Why complicated when it can be made easy?

RE: Android RPN app? - Maximilian Hohmann - 01-31-2021 04:18 PM

Hello!

(01-31-2021 03:50 PM)Peet Wrote:  I only know a few people who have understood AOS ...

Now you know one more :-)

RE: Android RPN app? - Peet - 01-31-2021 05:24 PM

(01-31-2021 04:18 PM)Maximilian Hohmann Wrote:  Now you know one more :-)

You have never proven it. Big Grin

Maybe you can help me on my question (the thread is about an example from the TI58/59 manual) in this thread:

https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-16086-post-140667.html#pid140667

RE: Android RPN app? - gege - 01-31-2021 05:29 PM

I use RPN9 and sometimes for the fun (and I love HP48) Droid48.

RE: Android RPN app? - Maximilian Hohmann - 01-31-2021 06:25 PM

Hello!

(01-31-2021 05:24 PM)Peet Wrote:  Maybe you can help me on my question (the thread is about an example from the TI58/59 manual) in this thread:

Do you mean this one here?

(((2x(2x(2x(2xSIN(2x(2+2^(2+.2))-(2+2))))))/2)/2)

First, you can leave the outermost parentheses away. It would have worked with these as well, but 8 levels of paranetheses are enough (because the calculator knows about operator precedence, the parentheses around the 4 multiplications at the beginning should also be obsolete, unless the equation for some reason requires them):

((2x(2x(2x(2xSIN(2x(2+2^(2+.2))-(2+2))))))/2)/2

All you have to do now is move the sine (which is a postfix (?) key) behind it's argument:

((2x(2x(2x(2x(2x(2+2^(2+.2))-(2+2))SIN))))/2)/2

and you can type it in as it is written here...

All this would of course be much easier if one would start from the equation.

Regards
Max

RE: Android RPN app? - gorang - 01-31-2021 06:37 PM

I really like the "RealCalc Scientific Calculator" app. Clean and good looking, perfect for quick calculations.
Purchased the "Plus" version, this is one of the first apps I install on any new Android phone.
Wish there was a similar "real" calculator on the market... ?

RE: Android RPN app? - Valentin Albillo - 01-31-2021 06:51 PM

Hi, Peet:

(01-31-2021 03:50 PM)Peet Wrote:  I only know a few people who have understood AOS - there is no logik in this (that's why TI called it AOS instead of AOL). Big Grin

Actually, TI called it Calculating Handheld Algebraic Operating System, i.e.: CHAOS, but TI's marketing people decided that, though fairly accurate, it would be better to leave it at just AOS. Smile

Regards.
V.