HP Forums
Python, separate file handling - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum)
+-- Forum: HP Calculators (and very old HP Computers) (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: HP Prime (/forum-5.html)
+--- Thread: Python, separate file handling (/thread-16724.html)

Pages: 1 2

RE: Python, separate file handling - rprosperi - 04-26-2021 12:32 PM

(04-26-2021 12:11 PM)Dirk.nl Wrote:  Hi Jonmoore,

Thank you, I did read your post. Will investigate this.
Actually, I also find it easy to sit on the sofa and play with my calculator instead of a PC on my lap (smile !).

Regards, Dirk

This has long been known as "couch hacking", a term coined by Joe Horn many years ago. Hard to explain to non-enthusiasts... Smile

RE: Python, separate file handling - Dirk.nl - 04-26-2021 01:53 PM

Sorry I may have made the wrong impression, I am very enthousiast about my HP Prime and thankful that Cyrille, Tim and Parise still care about supports and updates. That should also be apparent from all my previous posts.
My questions only concern my “ignorance”.
I know that this is indeed a Beta version and that the HP team needs time to streamline things.
No problem !!!

Best regards, Dirk

RE: Python, separate file handling - rprosperi - 04-26-2021 05:53 PM

(04-26-2021 01:53 PM)Dirk.nl Wrote:  Sorry I may have made the wrong impression, I am very enthousiast about my HP Prime and thankful that Cyrille, Tim and Parise still care about supports and updates. That should also be apparent from all my previous posts.
My questions only concern my “ignorance”.
I know that this is indeed a Beta version and that the HP team needs time to streamline things.
No problem !!!

Best regards, Dirk

No, no poor impression at all... Smile

Couch hacking is not pejorative in any way, it's a term for fun exploration, typically while on the couch, using a calculator for no specific reason, other than to explore the calculator, or math, or one's brain, and in the best possible case, all three!

RE: Python, separate file handling - Dirk.nl - 04-26-2021 06:48 PM

Hi Bob,

Sorry, I misunderstood you !!!
Excuse me, apologies.

Kind regards, Dirk

RE: Python, separate file handling - Dirk.nl - 04-28-2021 03:22 PM

For testing small programs I do the following; I make various small definitions that I can then start separately with a call to the relevant definition. I don't have to delete a small individual program every time and make another one again.

Continuing with my simple research:

1)
I miss the instruction “import” (with soft key Tmplt or Cmds), but also the instructions “import <lib_ names>” (for example; import math). The advantage is (if these are available for all libraries) that you can immediately see which libraries can be imported.

2)
With soft key Cmds -> math -> sqrt (as an example!), help indicates “math.sqrt (x)” with an explanation. Inserting this only inserts sqrt, without math. and parentheses.
Seems better to insert math. before and insert () after.
You now must type this in every time.
Of course this applies to all corresponding instructions.

Am I missing something? (pff, I miss something more often!)
Sorry if this has been reported before.

RE: Python, separate file handling - Dirk.nl - 04-29-2021 10:00 AM

The April 28th update has fixed “the missing import instruction”.
This was earlier solved than my question about this !
Cyrille, thank you very much !