HP Forums
New releases - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Not HP Calculators (/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: Not quite HP Calculators - but related (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: New releases (/thread-17083.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

New releases - Oulan - 06-08-2021 08:24 PM

Hi,

Just a quick info, I upgraded a bunch of goXX emulators to cope with changes on android. Now they are ok with android up to 11 (tested on android 9 and 11)

go01, go21, go22, go25c, go27, go29c, go32c, go33c, go34c, go35c, go38c, go55c, go65c, go67c and go80 for the led ones.

go15c and go41cx (a few days ago) for the lcd ones (go41cxt will follow).

They will appear soon I hope.

Olivier

RE: New releases - Didier Lachieze - 06-08-2021 08:37 PM

Great ! Thanks for the updates, I'm a regular user of several goXX emulators. I've now on my phone the updated version of go41cx, go15c, go29c and go34c. Any update planned for go16c and go71b?

RE: New releases - kwarda - 06-08-2021 09:03 PM

Thanks!

RE: New releases - Ross Barnes - 06-08-2021 11:50 PM

I guess I'll have to be very careful with my Nook (android 4.0.4-1.0.0) since the new versions of go15c, go25c, go29c, and go34c are no longer compatible with my Android version per the google play store.

RE: New releases - johanw - 06-09-2021 01:47 AM

(06-08-2021 11:50 PM)Ross Barnes Wrote:  I guess I'll have to be very careful with my Nook (android 4.0.4-1.0.0) since the new versions of go15c, go25c, go29c, and go34c are no longer compatible with my Android version per the google play store.
Then Google Play will install an older version if you need to reinstall them on your old phone. But storing the apk somewhere safe is of course always a wise thing to do.

The 15c update fixed the issue I had that Landscape mode didn't work correctly. I hope the 16c and 12c get this same update as well.

I'm happy to see the goxx series isn't abandonware after all.

RE: New releases - rprosperi - 06-09-2021 02:26 AM

(06-08-2021 08:24 PM)Oulan Wrote:  Hi,

Just a quick info, I upgraded a bunch of goXX emulators to cope with changes on android. Now they are ok with android up to 11 (tested on android 9 and 11)

go01, go21, go22, go25c, go27, go29c, go32c, go33c, go34c, go35c, go38c, go55c, go65c, go67c and go80 for the led ones.

go15c and go41cx (a few days ago) for the lcd ones (go41cxt will follow).

They will appear soon I hope.

Olivier

How about go27s and go71b ?

I still use these and hope they are scheduled for update too...

RE: New releases - Peet - 06-09-2021 08:01 AM

Sorry for my harsh words, but it was about time for that.

After typing in my own HP-41CV programs for the DM41X and converting them to .raw, I also wanted to use them on my smartphone (HTC U Ultra Android 8) and bought go41cx last year in the play store, but installation was not possible because it needs Android from 9 up (without note in the playstore) and could not transfer data with Andoid >10 (on my newer Phone runs Android 11).

I think it's very unfair to take money from customers and sell an unusable product, at least you should specify the system requirements in the playstore.
I was really pissed off paying for a program without being able to use it. Maybe now its possible after more than a half year.

RE: New releases - Eddie W. Shore - 06-09-2021 12:39 PM

Thank you for the update! Smile I just purchased the GO-29 for the iPod Touch.

RE: New releases - Massimo Gnerucci - 06-09-2021 12:46 PM

(06-09-2021 12:39 PM)Eddie W. Shore Wrote:  Thank you for the update! Smile I just purchased the GO-29 for the iPod Touch.

Are you sure it is made by Olivier?

RE: New releases - Chr Yoko - 06-10-2021 11:57 AM

(06-08-2021 08:37 PM)Didier Lachieze Wrote:  Great ! Thanks for the updates, I'm a regular user of several goXX emulators. I've now on my phone the updated version of go41cx, go15c, go29c and go34c. Any update planned for go16c and go71b?

For the 16c, i use WRPN16C that is free of charge.
go41c is free of charge (seems to be the only one maybe).
Free42, Emu48 (many up to the 50g), HP67 are also free.

RE: New releases - Oulan - 06-10-2021 12:36 PM

Now go00c (ex go12c) , go11c, go15c (again), and go16c are updated on the google market.

(Just an hint : why should food for though should be always free of charge ...)

Olivier

P.S. I do not make any apps for apple devices

RE: New releases - johanw - 06-10-2021 02:11 PM

(06-10-2021 12:36 PM)Oulan Wrote:  Now go00c (ex go12c) , go11c, go15c (again), and go16c are updated on the google market.
Yes, I received them and they work great on my Android 10 device (Samsung A50). However, while go15c 1.1.5 was Android 8+, the new go15c and go16c 1.2.0 are again Android 4.4+, but they have an issue on my (not so tall) Android 6 device (Sony Z3 compact): in landscape, the left and right part of the keyboard is cut off. Fortunately I stored the old apk so I could go back to the older versions.

[Image: go15c-z3c.jpg]

[Image: go16c-z3c.jpg]

RE: New releases - Oulan - 06-10-2021 03:05 PM

Hi Johan,

Ok see the problem ... I was thinking that nowadays, phone are only going taller and taller so I deal with that with a auto border/ratio, I just forgot that some devices are more at 4/3 than at 20/9 ... can you tell me the resolution of the screen of your phone ?

(My phone has a 2400x1080 screen ... and I have this kind of display : Link)

Not a big beal, the correction will came soon.

Olivier

RE: New releases - johanw - 06-10-2021 03:44 PM

The Sony phone has a 720x1280 display. The same issue occurred on my Samsung tablet with a 1200x1920 display.

However, on the Sony device running Android 6, the old version worked OK because the extra menu button was visible. On the tablet (and newer phone) I had to resort to special software to emulate the soft menu button (Samsung One Hand Operation+).

RE: New releases - Valentin Albillo - 06-11-2021 03:30 AM

(06-08-2021 08:24 PM)Oulan Wrote:  Just a quick info, I upgraded a bunch of goXX emulators to cope with changes on android. Now they are ok with android up to 11 (tested on android 9 and 11)

How about upgrading go71b or at least correcting some of the most blatant bugs that make it almost unusable ?

I've paid you twice for what I naively believed it would be a quality, properly working product, only to find a real real real chore to use it for anything, from four-liners up. Want some examples ?

- listing a program longer than a few lines with LIST in the n-lines miniscreen outputs garbage more often than not, requiring up to four executions of LIST to get something usable.

- inputting a program line containing a SUB declaration with array arguments more often than not reports a syntax error Invalid Argument at the first such argument. The only remedy is to kill go71b and relaunch it, which will then accept the SUB declaration unchanged.

- excuting a CALL to a subprogram often results in error Sub Not Found even though you can see it in the program listing and the call is correct. The only remedy is to kill go71b and relaunch it, which will then find the subprogram. Attempting to trace execution by single-stepping through the subprogram is next to impossible.

- the variables are lost extremely often, sometimes after just going to some other app for a moment or after minimizing go71b for a moment, or after just a few runs of a program, any program. You notice it because you run the program and it unexpectedly halts with an error Division by Zero or Invalid Argument or whatever. You inspect the variable and though it was assigned a value (A=20.7654) its value is still 0 or some other random value.

If then from the command line you assign some value to any variable and then immediately display it, you'll get either 0 or some random value. The only remedy is to kill go71b and relaunch it, which will then assign values to variables properly. It happens extremely frequently but I've never see this corrupting the program itself or the file chain, it just trashes all the variables.

- if you specify a nonexisting file for file commands other than EDIT (say LIST PEPE where PEPE doesn't exist) you'll get all your variables immediately trashed, as described above. The only remedy is to kill go71b and relaunch it, which will then make variables useable again. Executinng OFF IO or trying to disable HP-IL is useless, the next file error will trigger the problem and the same happens if you try to catch the error with ON ERROR, it's useless.

- many other problems, such as timing not being accurate, 128x speed being actually 64x, configuration settings not being permanently recorded, so that after the frequent killings I'm forced to set the speed again every time, which wastes even more time, the keyboard repeating keystrokes like mad at the higher speed settings, execution getting paralyzed for up to 20-30 seconds every so often, both a running program and typing something at the command line, etc, etc.

And so on, I compiled a detailed list of all problems I found but my laptop died and I no longer have it for the time being. Anyway, the bottom line is I've been using your go71b to create and run my programs and my articles, and it's been an extremely unpleasant and frustrating experience, wasting more time working around the bugs than actually getting results, frustration compounded by the fact that I've paid you for it. Twice.

I'd expect that at long last you will finally stand up and correct this sad state of affairs, which certainly is the honest thing to do after taking the money and miserably failing to deliver, but I've noticed that you didn't reply to the post by Bob Prosperi above and I've heard that you usually do act likewise with anyone asking you to correct bugs so I'm not holding my breath.

V.

RE: New releases - Vincent Weber - 06-11-2021 04:49 AM

Hi Valentin,

I'm sorry to read about your bad experience with Go71b. I didn't experience that on my phone, but I certainly did not test it as touroughly as you did. Did you report all this problems to Olivier ? I'm in touch with him on a daily basis, now that he is back in business, and I can tell you that he cares a lot for every single detail, not even mentioning such big issues. Go15c is the most precise 15C emulator by far, with correct synthetics, which even HP did not provide with their own apps...and Go41cx is extremely complete and thrustworthy.

I understand from him that go71b is his next target for upgrade, after the LEDs and the Voyagers.

This being said, I think a couple of things are forgotten here:

1) Olivier has been out of touch for quite a while. It is certainly frustrating when you expect an upgrade, but Olivier like many is doing this as a hobby, not as full time professional job, and he is entitled to a personal life.

2) Olivier has brought more to the emulation community than anybody else. A complete suite of HP emulators, from LEDs to the HP-50g, and Sharp emulators, including your beloved PC-1475, with a beautiful hand-crafted skin. I own them all and I am extremely grateful. The problems you have with Go71b are the exception, not the rule.

3) Android is a developper's
nightmare. Every new release breaks apps compatibility in one way or the other. What was working fine on Android 7 does not work anymore on Android 9, especially for the UI. This is not the developper's fault. This is Google's fault.

Based on all the above, I think we shall all be a bit nicer to Olivier, especially now that he is back in business. He needs to be encouraged, not bashed...

My 2 cents.

Cheers,Vincent

RE: New releases - Peet - 06-11-2021 06:33 AM

(06-11-2021 04:49 AM)Vincent Weber Wrote:  Go41cx is extremely complete and thrustworthy.

I bought go41cx in the playstore last year and haven't been able to use it until now because the last version only supports Android 9 and 10 but i had only devices with 7, 8 and 11 (no system requirements were specified in the playstore).

The current version also still has some obvious flaws.

E.g. it often crashes when clicking on the overlay symbol (full close) and many of the previous changes (program input, import, key assignment) are lost.
The design/look on smartphones with round corners (nearly all newer ones) is "broken" and the android soft-buttons can hardly be reached.

In my opinion that's not even close to complete and thrustworthy.

But the most frustrating thing is when you hear in this forum that it is your own fault if you buy the program, because a version from "illegal sources" has fewer problems and also runs on older smartphones.

RE: New releases - Vincent Weber - 06-11-2021 07:05 AM

I am running the latest version of go41cx on my s8 android 9 phone, and I have no problems at all. The UI has been completely redone, with tap menus everywhere, no need for the older button. I have been using it extensively, with modules, HEPAx Ram, .raw file import, and it works flawlessly. Are you sure you are running the latest version ?

RE: New releases - Peet - 06-11-2021 07:12 AM

(06-11-2021 06:33 AM)Peet Wrote:  ... because the last version only supports Android 9 and 10 but i had only devices with 7, 8 and 11 (no system requirements were specified in the playstore).

(06-11-2021 07:05 AM)Vincent Weber Wrote:  I am running the latest version of go41cx on my s8 android 9 phone, and I have no problems at all.

no comment

RE: New releases - Vincent Weber - 06-11-2021 08:41 AM

(06-11-2021 07:12 AM)Peet Wrote:  
(06-11-2021 06:33 AM)Peet Wrote:  ... because the last version only supports Android 9 and 10 but i had only devices with 7, 8 and 11 (no system requirements were specified in the playstore).

(06-11-2021 07:05 AM)Vincent Weber Wrote:  I am running the latest version of go41cx on my s8 android 9 phone, and I have no problems at all.

no comment
You said you could't test the new version "until now", and that the new version was not flawless. So the least that can be said is that you did not make it clear at all that you didn't have access to the last version.

I'm just trying to help, there is no need to be that abrupt with me.

The new version already works on Android 11. Olivier just told me that he just made it compatible with Android 6,7 and 8, and that he is also making it work on 12.

In short, Olivier is working hard to overcome Google's mess which he is not responsible for, but he only gets bashing here. Pretty unfair to me, I know him well and he is a very nice and dedicated person.