HP Forums
New releases - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Not HP Calculators (/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: Not quite HP Calculators - but related (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: New releases (/thread-17083.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: New releases - johanw - 06-12-2021 04:17 PM

(06-12-2021 03:36 PM)Didier Lachieze Wrote:  the problems happening from time to time which are as you explained mostly due to the Android changes.

Yes, go15c is a lot better than the original from HP. I remember seeing here a program that would let the original crash (can't find it quickly anymore) but go15c didn't. And the programming help, that is genial! Too bad the DM15 does not port it over.

My only problem until now was that it didn't work well in landscape on my new phone, but that is fixed in the newer versions.

RE: New releases - Peet - 06-12-2021 08:43 PM

is there a possibility to change the radix/seperator in the go1Xc? Any tries with "ON" and "." doesn't work.

RE: New releases - rprosperi - 06-12-2021 10:05 PM

(06-12-2021 08:43 PM)Peet Wrote:  is there a possibility to change the radix/seperator in the go1Xc? Any tries with "ON" and "." doesn't work.

I think there's a "Press the ON key" or something like that in the menu?

RE: New releases - Peet - 06-12-2021 10:14 PM

(06-12-2021 10:05 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  I think there's a "Press the ON key" or something like that in the menu?

Thx, now it works, I tried this before but couldn't get it.

But now in this order it worked:
1. Calculator off
2. in the Menu tap Press ON
3. after this press "." (the HP manuals said "before")
4. wait and release "."
... and voila ... display shows 1.000,00 insteaf of 1,000.00

RE: New releases - Valentin Albillo - 06-13-2021 04:31 AM

Hi again, Vincent,

(06-12-2021 06:45 AM)Vincent Weber Wrote:  I understand that you wanted a specific way of purchase (which Oliver gracefully honored), without going to the Play Store, and in the process you ended up paying twice, but one of them being refundable by the store. To make things clear for others, Olivier never asked you to pay double the price, and didn't lock you in this situation.

The first purchase took place many years ago, and I installed go71b on my daughter's phone but never actually used it for anything, I was just curious at the sight of an HP-71B actually running on a phone. I inverted a few matrices, solved some equations and that's it, I returned the phone to her, never to use it again and eventually it got stolen and went unavailable. I don't remember contacting Olivier at all back then.

Several years later I got a Sony eReader (electronic ink) and again I was curious to see if an emulated HP-71B would run on it, so I installed DosBox and J-F's Emu71 and it indeed ran perfectly, albeit slowly. Olivier had nothing to do with this and so I didn't contact him either.

Finally, my XP system died on me and Emu71/Dos didn't run on 64-bit systems so I bought go71b again (not Oliver's fault, the original Play Store account was no more), installed it on my Samsung tablet, and my troubles began. I managed to create some programs on it, both standalone and for articles, but it's been most exasperating and it's taken me ten times as long as before.

Anyway, money has never been a problem, the first time I paid the price just to see it, the second time I would have paid 80 or 100 € just to have it working flawlessly (or with lesser bugs) and thus avoiding all the exasperation and utterly wasted time.

Quote:2) Before purchasing you had a discussion with Olivier about your needs, the main one being having a multi-line display. Olivier did not intend to emulate the HP-IL, but instead he developped a custom mini-screen, with full support for escape sequences (cursor handling), just for you. That is comitment IMHO.

Honestly, I don't remember the details, it was many years ago and I lost all emails from that period, but I'll take your word for it, if that is what Olivier told you.

Quote: Ok, after that, Oliver entered a phrase in his life where he could not dedicate any time for emulators anymore, and that's indeed frustrating when you have paid and have major bugs, I don't deny that. But please don't forget the initial service attitude, which is back now.

Glad to hear that. I still think he should have communicated the situation much better, instead of keeping silent and disregarding bugs reported to him without bothering to reply. That's a surefire way of alienating your customers and ruining good faith.

Quote:3) Olivier is actually so committed that he is currently rewriting from scratch the whole Saturn core emulation (which he suspects has vicious issues), trying it first on simpler machines than the 71B, like the 27S, before porting it to the more complex 71B.

Very good news, if they actually materialize and result in a working go71b. You know, at first you disregard your customers for good reasons, then for bad reasons, and eventually as a matter of course.

Quote:I know he is not at all the dishonest person he is sometimes portrayed. He is a nice person and a prime contributor to this community, who also happen to be a human being with a life...

We all are, but just try to say that to your real-job clients when you miss a deadline and see what happens.

Quote:Hope this helps to bring the tension down.

Certainly. Thank you very much for your great efforts to help defuse the matter, Vincent, very much appreciated. Wish all my friends were like you.

Take care and best regards,
V.

RE: New releases - Vincent Weber - 06-13-2021 06:54 AM

Hi Valentin,

Many thanks for your kind words, much appreciated.

As for the miniscreen, the discussion was actually public, it took place on this forum, and you archived it on your Web site. You first mentionned a multi-line display, and then Olivier annunced (and delivered) the mini-screen option:

https://www.hpmuseum.org/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/hpmuseum/archv021.cgi?read=224206

Of course you were not the only one interested in this option. I was too, and so were many others, it was a killer feature, the single line LCD of the 71B restricted a lot the practical usage of its very advanced (for the time) language, as you wrote in "Long live the HP-71B".

Now that we have the full Python power on calculators (HP /TI/Casio/Numworks) with multi-line display, color syntaxing, autocompletion, code templates, commands catalogs, you name it, I find it very difficult to use a purely text-based interface on a mobile device. RPN keystrokes calculators (42S, 41cx, 15C...) are more usable, because precisely they just involve keystrokes. Emu71 is great on a PC with a full keyboard. I tried it on my mobile phone under Dosbox, it works fine, but my fingers are too big to type anything long on it... Smile

Cheers,

Vincent

RE: New releases - johanw - 06-13-2021 02:30 PM

(06-13-2021 04:31 AM)Valentin Albillo Wrote:  Finally, my XP system died on me and Emu71/Dos didn't run on 64-bit systems

There is DOSEMU and DosBox, that specifically aim at supporting old games which are far more difficult to run nicely than something like Emu71. I never tried much emulators on a PC (the form factor of a PC makes running calculators cumbersome IMO) but you could give it a try.

RE: New releases - Valentin Albillo - 06-13-2021 11:29 PM

(06-13-2021 02:30 PM)johanw Wrote:  
(06-13-2021 04:31 AM)Valentin Albillo Wrote:  Finally, my XP system died on me and Emu71/Dos didn't run on 64-bit systems

There is DOSEMU and DosBox, that specifically aim at supporting old games which are far more difficult to run nicely than something like Emu71. I never tried much emulators on a PC (the form factor of a PC makes running calculators cumbersome IMO) but you could give it a try.

Thanks for your help, johanw, but there's an Emu71/DOS feature which is essential to my workflow with it, namely the possibility to select text contents on its screen (code and/or results) and copy them to the clipboard for pasting them into some document, and conversely, to paste the text code copied to the clipboard into Emu71's screen, which then immediately inserts them as program lines and/or executes them as command-line statements.

This functionality is extremely convenient to get things out of the emulator to a DOS/Windows text file or document, and vice versa, to get text from such document or file into Emu71 in the quickest, simplest way possible. Alas, J-F told me that this functionality doesn't work when using either DOSEMU or DosBox, which kills my interest in them as a way to use Emu71 for non-trivial purposes.

All the same, thank you very much for your help.
Regards.
V.

RE: New releases - Vincent Weber - 06-14-2021 08:23 AM

(06-13-2021 11:29 PM)Valentin Albillo Wrote:  Thanks for your help, johanw, but there's an Emu71/DOS feature which is essential to my workflow with it, namely the possibility to select text contents on its screen (code and/or results) and copy them to the clipboard for pasting them into some document, and conversely, to paste the text code copied to the clipboard into Emu71's screen, which then immediately inserts them as program lines and/or executes them as command-line statements.

This functionality is extremely convenient to get things out of the emulator to a DOS/Windows text file or document, and vice versa, to get text from such document or file into Emu71 in the quickest, simplest way possible. Alas, J-F told me that this functionality doesn't work when using either DOSEMU or DosBox, which kills my interest in them as a way to use Emu71 for non-trivial purposes.

All the same, thank you very much for your help.
Regards.
V.

Hi Valentin,

I came across this comment on a forum, that claims that an enhanced version of DosBos is able to copy/paste data from/to the outside world, using mouse right-click when the mouse is not locked. I briefly verified that it works, at least for pasting. The comment is:

"There is already a solution for this by now. Try the latest enhanced DOSBox SVN build with mouse copy/paste and Long File Name (LFN) support. You can now use the right mouse button to select, copy and paste text from and to DOSBox (when the mouse is not locked).

Latest Windows binary + required DLLs, zipped: http://bit.ly/12jANWF

Related forum discussions & sources: http://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=41179
"

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Vincent

RE: New releases - Albert Chan - 06-14-2021 04:01 PM

(06-14-2021 08:23 AM)Vincent Weber Wrote:  "There is already a solution for this by now. Try the latest enhanced DOSBox SVN build with mouse copy/paste and Long File Name (LFN) support. You can now use the right mouse button to select, copy and paste text from and to DOSBox (when the mouse is not locked)."

Latest Windows binary + required DLLs, zipped: http://bit.ly/12jANWF

Related forum discussions & sources: http://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=41179

Thanks, Vincent Weber

FYI, there was a missing keybuf.com, which you can download here
Without keybuf.com, paste from clipboard to emu71 does not work.

I had setup DosBox using below steps, on my Window7 laptop.

1. download DosBox, copy to directory c:\dosbox
2. md c:\dosbox\dos
3. md c:\dosbox\dos\emu71, copy all emu71 stuff into it.
4. download keybuf.com, place into c:\dosbox\dos\emu71

5. edit c:\dosbox\dosbox.conf

[cpu] section:
<core=auto
>core=dynamic
< cycles=auto
> cycles=max 50%

[autoexec] section, add this:
> mount c c:\dosbox\dos
> c:
> emu71\keybuf.com 2048

Setup is now complete, but I add these for convenience.

6. create c:\dosbox\dos\go.bat

@echo off
cd \%1
%1

7. From file manager, right click DosBox.exe, click Create Shortcut
8. Drag the shortcut to Windows Desktop, rename it DosBox
9. Right Click the shortcut, add Short-cut key Ctrl-Alt-B

To run emu71, keyed Ctrl-Alt-B, then type "go emu71"

---

DosBox right-click for *both* copy/paste operation maybe a mistake.
Any mouse movement activated the copy clipboard operation.

This force the user to grab the mouse *tight*, when pasting.
(slight mouse movement will loss stored clipboard content)

Luckily, DosBox had a keyboard shortcut for clipboard paste: Alt-F10

RE: New releases - johanw - 06-15-2021 04:16 PM

I have the same problem with go41cx 1.8.6 on my new phone (Samsung A50 Android 10, 2340x1080 display) so I'm again reverting to 1.7.0.

Edit: found out about the Full setting, it works Ok now, just like 1.7.0. However, it is still nearly impossible to call the Android buttons to close it without pressing a key on the lower row as well. Is there no option to show those buttons all the time that does not cover half of the bottom keys of the calculator, like go34c does?

RE: New releases - rprosperi - 06-15-2021 04:53 PM

(06-15-2021 04:16 PM)johanw Wrote:  I have the same problem with go41cx 1.8.6 on my new phone (Samsung A50 Android 10, 2340x1080 display) so I'm again reverting to 1.7.0.

Edit: found out about the Full setting, it works Ok now, just like 1.7.0. However, it is still nearly impossible to call the Android buttons to close it without pressing a key on the lower row as well. Is there no option to show those buttons all the time that does not cover half of the biottom keys of the calculator, like go34c does?

Just swipe up from the bottom, starting w/your finger tip below the bottom of the visible screen area. The system menu comes up, and if ignored, retracts again in a few seconds.

RE: New releases - johanw - 06-15-2021 05:39 PM

(06-15-2021 04:53 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  Just swipe up from the bottom, starting w/your finger tip below the bottom of the visible screen area. The system menu comes up, and if ignored, retracts again in a few seconds.
Yes, but somehow that always triggers a key of the bottom row being pressed. This is a long phone, I don't need full screen apps anyway. The HP41 does not have so many keys that it becomes unreadable otherwise (like the Casio FX8000G does).

RE: New releases - Peet - 06-15-2021 07:02 PM

(06-15-2021 04:16 PM)johanw Wrote:  so I'm again reverting to 1.7.0.

It seems you can be lucky if you have this version. When you buy the app (in my case 1.8.1), you can't use it at all and you hear there is an older Version that was better in many ways and also could be used on your devices, that is frustrating.

But at least the author seems to be on the right track, the update is usable and he has even added the system requirements in the store.

(06-15-2021 05:39 PM)johanw Wrote:  Yes, but somehow that always triggers a key of the bottom row being pressed.

Funfact, with the go41c it is possible without trigger a key.

(06-15-2021 05:39 PM)johanw Wrote:  This is a long phone, I don't need full screen apps anyway.

In addition, the ugly cut corners would no longer be there.

RE: New releases - Oulan - 06-23-2021 02:49 PM

Hi,

New release for go41cx:
- more skins & help pictures from Michael Vogel (thanks Michael)
- some lcd bugs corrected (thanks Frederic Vincent),
- 'full' in Settings is now more useful, try it again,
- sound still broken with android 11 (google problem),
- some strange problems with printing with SandMath 44 4x4 R7+ in trace mode ... module problem ?
- better printer re load.

On the saturn line, new release for go27s, go17bii, go42s
- new saturn core,
- new printer core,
- android 6+support (upto 11, 12 will broke more stuff and the replacement code is still not present in android 11 ...)

More will follows I hope.

RE: New releases - johanw - 06-23-2021 03:38 PM

When I open the new go42s 1.5.0 on my Android 10 device I always get a toast with "Error loading paper last.png".

RE: New releases - Vincent Weber - 06-23-2021 03:42 PM

(06-23-2021 03:38 PM)johanw Wrote:  When I open the new go42s 1.5.0 on my Android 10 device I always get a toast with "Error loading paper last.png".
Juste choose "new" from the printer and this will solve the problem (there was no "paper" save and restore in the previous version, hence it can't find the file).

RE: New releases - Oulan - 06-23-2021 03:45 PM

(06-23-2021 03:38 PM)johanw Wrote:  When I open the new go42s 1.5.0 on my Android 10 device I always get a toast with "Error loading paper last.png".

Nothing to fear, just do some print or just do 'NEW' in printer view and this will disappear.

(technically, the empty paper was not changed during your session, so it is not saved, so it can not be reloaded, when you change it (PRT or new) it will be saved at the end of the session and will be reloaded at the next session ...)

Btw : the saved print is named last.png and will appear in Tools/{show|delete|rename} prints sub-menu

BBtw : same apply to the last go41cx

P.S. do not forget to set PON in PRINT menus and use 0 DELAY to avoid delay when printing (see HP42 manual)

RE: New releases - Massimo Gnerucci - 06-23-2021 04:55 PM

(06-23-2021 02:49 PM)Oulan Wrote:  Hi,

New release for go41cx:
- more skins & help pictures from Michael Vogel (thanks Michael)
- some lcd bugs corrected (thanks Frederic Vincent),
- 'full' in Settings is now more useful, try it again,
- sound still broken with android 11 (google problem),
- some strange problems with printing with SandMath 44 4x4 R7+ in trace mode ... module problem ?
- better printer re load.

On the saturn line, new release for go27s, go17bii, go42s
- new saturn core,
- new printer core,
- android 6+support (upto 11, 12 will broke more stuff and the replacement code is still not present in android 11 ...)

More will follows I hope.

And a new icon!

I like the new skins, and the new 'Full' setting.

Thank you, Olivier!

RE: New releases - johanw - 06-23-2021 06:42 PM

I just got the new 41cx. Switching off "full" now works well, no more pressing bottom row keys when exiting the app. I did like the old icon more but I can get used to the new one too. Same issue with the printer setting as the 42s but now I knew how to solve it.