HP Forums
HP-41 - Nantucket graphic printed by HP-IL 82162A ? - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum)
+-- Forum: HP Calculators (and very old HP Computers) (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: General Forum (/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: HP-41 - Nantucket graphic printed by HP-IL 82162A ? (/thread-17455.html)

HP-41 - Nantucket graphic printed by HP-IL 82162A ? - Gene - 09-09-2021 07:55 PM

HP Key Notes V6N3P9 August 1982 had this in it.

Eventually in the last issue, there was an article about the man who generated it, but I don't think anything was ever published about how he did it - no program, nothing.

Fact or Fake?

Gene

-------------------
[attachment=9802]

RE: HP-41 - Nantucket graphic printed by HP-IL 82162A ? - Ren - 09-09-2021 08:22 PM

Interesting.
I'm guessing he wrote a program that would send data to the printer a pixel at a time?
And either scanned (light penned?) in a drawing that was written as data (such as in BASIC Data statements). I wonder if he "drew" the picture with a light pen just by touching black and white surfaces?

I hope you're not asking me to make a road trip to Iowa to find him!
B^)

RE: HP-41 - Nantucket graphic printed by HP-IL 82162A ? - Bill (Smithville NJ) - 09-09-2021 08:44 PM

Gene,

I think it was real. There was a followup on page 4 of V7N1 Jan-Mar 83 titled:

"Nantucket" Revealed

While the programs are not given, some background on how it was done is given. Two programs, NAN1 and NAN2, along with some manipulation of the paper in the printer. He apparently provided some program listings along with backup sketches/diagrams of how it was done. It's a shame that they couldn't have been included in the Keynotes. I wonder if they still exist somewhere.

On page 4 of V8N2 Aug 1983 issue, there's a very nice article about Robert L. (Keystroke) Gardner along with a photo of him:

Can an HP-41 Change Your Life

Very interesting reading. And Mr Gardner was a pretty amazing person.

Bill WD9EQD
Smithville, NJ

(09-09-2021 07:55 PM)Gene Wrote:  HP Key Notes V6N3P9 August 1982 had this in it.

Eventually in the last issue, there was an article about the man who generated it, but I don't think anything was ever published about how he did it - no program, nothing.

Fact or Fake?

Gene

-------------------

RE: HP-41 - Nantucket graphic printed by HP-IL 82162A ? - Gene - 09-10-2021 03:24 PM

Thank you, Bill. I missed that!

Appears to have involved a lot of steps, not merely some magical XEQ program to generate it. :-)