HP Forums
Emulator Progs and Power Consumption - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Not HP Calculators (/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: Not remotely HP Calculators (/forum-9.html)
+--- Thread: Emulator Progs and Power Consumption (/thread-1995.html)

Emulator Progs and Power Consumption - W.B.Grant - 08-19-2014 01:38 PM

Hello all.
I'm a new member here although I've been following this forum for some while. This is my first post, so... greetings from Nova Scotia, Canada.

I've seen several predictions of the impending demise of "hardware" pocket calculators in favour of calculator-like application programs on smartphones.

I use both extensively and I've noticed that extended use of a smartphone for computation seems to cause the device to consume battery power and generate heat at a prodigious rate. In my experience, an hour or so of hard use causes the device to get hot enough to cause worry about the longevity of the circuitry.

For the time being, I'll hang on to my 10b and 35s Wink

Regards,
WBG

RE: Emulator Progs and Power Consumption - Dave Britten - 08-19-2014 02:42 PM

Depends a lot on the emulator, really. If it's able to idle the device's CPU when the emulated system doesn't have work to do, it shouldn't be too hard on the phone's battery. Now, if the emulator isn't able to do that, and it pegs your phone's CPU emulating idle loops at full speed, you're going to feel it.

And if it's an entire reimplementation like Free42, it should be very gentle on the battery.

RE: Emulator Progs and Power Consumption - Thomas Radtke - 08-20-2014 01:33 PM

(08-19-2014 01:38 PM)W.B.Grant Wrote:  In my experience, an hour or so of hard use causes the device to get hot enough to cause worry about the longevity of the circuitry.
Don't. It starts to be a problem if you don't want to touch your phone anymore, maybe even later.

Welcome to this friendly forum!

RE: Emulator Progs and Power Consumption - W.B.Grant - 08-22-2014 01:42 PM

Thanks, Thomas Smile
Dave: Thanks for the tip about Free42; that looks like a great proggie.

RE: Emulator Progs and Power Consumption - Dave Britten - 08-22-2014 02:07 PM

(08-22-2014 01:42 PM)W.B.Grant Wrote:  Dave: Thanks for the tip about Free42; that looks like a great proggie.

It definitely is! It's a from-scratch reimplementation rather than emulation, so it's blazing fast compared to the original hardware on just about any platform (even my old Palm).

RE: Emulator Progs and Power Consumption - walter b - 08-22-2014 02:44 PM

(08-22-2014 02:07 PM)Dave Britten Wrote:  
(08-22-2014 01:42 PM)W.B.Grant Wrote:  Dave: Thanks for the tip about Free42; that looks like a great proggie.

It definitely is! It's a from-scratch reimplementation rather than emulation, so it's blazing fast compared to the original hardware on just about any platform (even my old Palm).

+1. The best smartphone application for calculating I know.

d:-)

RE: Emulator Progs and Power Consumption - Joe Horn - 08-22-2014 10:56 PM

(08-22-2014 02:44 PM)walter b Wrote:  +1. The best smartphone application for calculating I know.

I like it so much that it's on every page of my iPod Touch:

[Image: iPodTouch.png]

RE: Emulator Progs and Power Consumption - Massimo Gnerucci - 08-22-2014 11:07 PM

(08-22-2014 10:56 PM)Joe Horn Wrote:  
(08-22-2014 02:44 PM)walter b Wrote:  +1. The best smartphone application for calculating I know.

I like it so much that it's on every page of my iPod Touch:

Oh well, this is Android... Big Grin

[attachment=1029]