HP Forums
Iterative calculation of exponent when not needed? - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum)
+-- Forum: HP Calculators (and very old HP Computers) (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: General Forum (/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Iterative calculation of exponent when not needed? (/thread-20972.html)

Iterative calculation of exponent when not needed? - Bill Duncan - 12-12-2023 06:15 AM

While working on some probability calculations using "solve" on an HP-27S, I was curious why an iterative solution was used while using logs would be faster? The equation was simply something like this:

Code:
X = Y ^ Z

Where I wanted to solve for Z. It chugged away displaying intermediate solutions while working it out. Why not simply..

Code:
Z = log(X) / log(Y)

I haven't tried it on my HP-48 yet. Would it resort to an iterative solution as well? What about TVM applications for solving for the number of periods? Iterative solutions? I haven't looked yet, but curious (and too late to investigate tonight)..

RE: Iterative calculation of exponent when not needed? - brouhaha - 12-12-2023 06:43 AM

Because the 27S only solves equations numerically. It doesn't have any symbolic algebra code. It's only a slightly fancier version of the 34C/15C/Advantage solver.

RE: Iterative calculation of exponent when not needed? - ijabbott - 12-13-2023 08:13 AM

(12-12-2023 06:43 AM)brouhaha Wrote:  Because the 27S only solves equations numerically. It doesn't have any symbolic algebra code. It's only a slightly fancier version of the 34C/15C/Advantage solver.

It can do a little bit of rearrangement to solve directly, but nothing fancy like applying logs!