HP Forums
Displaying and manipulating vectors in Geometry App - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum)
+-- Forum: HP Calculators (and very old HP Computers) (/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: HP Prime (/forum-5.html)
+--- Thread: Displaying and manipulating vectors in Geometry App (/thread-2107.html)

Displaying and manipulating vectors in Geometry App - mcjtom - 09-10-2014 09:30 AM

Is there a way of displaying and manipulating vectors in Geometry App?

I can't find it, but I think this would great if students could see how vector addition, subtraction, angles between them, translations etc. work and relate to their coordinates.

Cheers!

RE: Displaying and manipulating vectors in Geometry App - Eddie W. Shore - 09-10-2014 01:00 PM

I don't recall seeing any feature to draw vectors in the geometry app - I could be wrong.

I think we would have to plot vectors (using line segments?) manually.

------------------------------------------------
For example, adding two vectors [5,3] and [1,6].

(let I be the imaginary number square root of -1, Shift+3, the point(x,y) command should also work as an alternative)

Set the following objects - Symb screen:
GA = point(0,0)
GB = point(5,3)
GC = segment(GA,GB)
GD = point(5+1,3+6)
GE = segment(GB,GD)
GG = segment(GA,GD) ** result of addition (make this a different color)

Num screen:
coordinates(GD) and have this marked - that gives you the addition of "vectors" GC and GE.

If you want angle, type in the Num screen:
angle(GE,GC) - make sure you calculator is Degrees mode and you pick segments in a counterclockwise fashion

(please see screen shots below)
------------

If anyone has a better way to do this, please contribute.

RE: Displaying and manipulating vectors in Geometry App - Angus - 09-10-2014 01:58 PM

When drawing a vector you usually show its direction i.e. plot like an arrow.
You could try to do that by hand, however a specialized command could be helpful plus certainly faster and more comfortable.

RE: Displaying and manipulating vectors in Geometry App - Eddie W. Shore - 09-10-2014 07:27 PM

I was looking for lines that can be drawn with arrows, but no luck.