HP Forums
HP-25C Eumulator - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Not HP Calculators (/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: Not quite HP Calculators - but related (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: HP-25C Eumulator (/thread-2175.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

RE: HP-25C Eumulator - sc05027 - 02-19-2015 04:33 PM

Hi Chris,

I would like to order 2 unassembled kits if possible,

sc05027

RE: HP-25C Eumulator - jebem - 02-19-2015 10:00 PM

Thank you once again for your excellent work, Chris!

Here is my NP-25, assembled just 2 hours ago.
The PCB still needs to have a final full cleaning to remove the solder flux.
I have soldered the passive RC components to the PCB underside, so I can have a less cluttered front.

[Image: np-25_021.jpg] [Image: np-25_018.jpg] [Image: np-25_020.jpg]

RE: HP-25C Eumulator - Denis CAMUS - 02-19-2015 10:48 PM

Your solder joints are very clean !

RE: HP-25C Eumulator - jebem - 02-20-2015 08:25 PM

(02-19-2015 10:48 PM)Denis CAMUS Wrote:  Your solder joints are very clean !

A little bit of isopropyl alcohol and a soft brush does the trick for me.

[Image: np-25_024.jpg] [Image: np-25_026.jpg] [Image: np-25_029.jpg]

The two generations side by side:

[Image: np-25_041.jpg]

Edited to add some information on battery consumption.
Emulation mode: HP-25
Average current measurements.
Idle current: 8mA
All digits ON: 20mA
1000 log: 9mA

RE: HP-25C Eumulator - Denis CAMUS - 02-21-2015 10:18 AM

Sorry for my poor english, but when I said "clean", I meant that they look professionnal, all the same size and there is no cold joint. Very good job.

RE: HP-25C Eumulator - jebem - 02-28-2015 09:22 AM

(02-21-2015 10:18 AM)Denis CAMUS Wrote:  Sorry for my poor english, but when I said "clean", I meant that they look professionnal, all the same size and there is no cold joint. Very good job.

Bonjour, Denis.
Je vous remercie, vous êtes très aimable!

I have used a low melting point solder that makes nice joints.
This solder is "audio grade" and was made by TRT in USA and it is called Wonder solder, probably because one never fail to do a good joint with it ! Smile
I used to order a lot of stuff from this Canadian supplier named Parts Connection when I was actively on tube/valve audiophile hobby some 20 years ago. They closed business for a while before reopening with this new name.

RE: HP-25C Eumulator - Chris Chung - 03-05-2015 02:06 PM

Just a very brief update on batch 4 group-buy. I received the PCBs yesterday but have not able to find time to work on them yet. Will do a validate build and start to assemble a few units this weekend.

Please don't send me money or addresses yet. I will let you know early next week when I am ready to process. Thanks.

RE: HP-25C Eumulator - Chris Chung - 03-10-2015 02:59 PM

The 1st test built is good. I had partially assembled 6 units and I should be able to finish all in a couple of days.

I had ordered and received 20 batch 4 pcbs. I have all the components for the 12 committed units and kits.

V3 4th batch list
pcfu44, Bernd, Graig, c_d, DMaier, olr, MeindertKuipers (k), Leonid x2, jjohnson873 (k), Namir x2 (10 units + 2 kits)

Like the last batch, please paypal me w/ the email address I PM you. Please put this in title / description
. NP25V3B4 x1 for <forum name> (ex. NP24V3B4 x2 for Leonid) or,
. NP25V3B4 x2 kit for <forum name> (x2 for 2 units, etc)

. assembled units are US$40, kits are US$30.
. shipping for Canada is $3, US is $5, rest of the world is $8.
. enter your shipping name and address via paypal.

* I will acknowledge with a post in this thread instead of replying individual PMs / emails.

There are additional asks after I closed the batch and I will have to check my bubble LED stock to see if they can be entertains. If there are still left-overs, I will only offer whatever is left as kits only.

may be
Benoit Maag x2, sc05027 x2 (k)

Benoit Maag, sc05027, please do not pay me yet, I need to check if I have parts for your units.

RE: HP-25C Eumulator - Chris Chung - 03-10-2015 03:14 PM

I can't figure out who Graig is. He's on the list but there is no forum username goes by that so I cannot PM him. I hope I did not miss anyone.

Also there may be a gentleman (I can't recall for sure) that had advanced payment for his units. If it is you please send email to me and let me know.

Thanks.

RE: HP-25C Eumulator - Chris Chung - 03-11-2015 01:12 PM

V3 4th batch list (strike-thru for payment received)
pcfu44, Bernd, Graig, c_d (k), DMaier, olr, MeindertKuipers (k), Leonid 1+1k, jjohnson873 (k + pcb), Namir x2, Benoit Maag x2, sc05027 (x2k) (9 units + 6 kits)

I had enough parts for Benoit Maag and sc05027, please paypal w/ shipping address.
I still have not figure out why there is a Graig in this list. May be it is a imaginary order.
/EDIT my bad, its Craig instead of Graig. Had sent notification and hope he can claim his unit soon.

[attachment=1778]

I will ship out units tomorrow for those who paid and again the rest a few days later.

Although I still have parts for another 2 kit but I decided not to accept orders now.
There is another member who is trying to reproduce the project from scratch and he will be organizing new group-buys when there is enough interest.

So for whoever still interested in these. You may indicate here so that it could be organized.

RE: HP-25C Eumulator - Chris Chung - 03-12-2015 01:16 PM

V3 4th batch list (strike-thru for shipped units)
pcfu44, Bernd, Craig, c_d (k), DMaier, olr, MeindertKuipers (k), Leonid 1+1k, jjohnson873 (k + pcb), Namir x2, Benoit Maag x2, sc05027 (x2k) (9 units + 6 kits)

The rest of the units are ready for their will be owners to claim via payment.

There are no CR2032 included in packages so please prepare your own. Typical shipment seems to be 7-10 days regardless where you are.

As usually I forgot in some packages the instruction "inserts" so if you do not see one, find the instructions in this thread.

This time I did not pre-program (greetings + test programs) the kit MCUs.

If you encounter any problem, please let me know.

RE: HP-25C Eumulator - vk6ti - 03-16-2015 10:13 AM

Hi Chris,
I would like to go down for 2 unassembled kits on your next batch please,
Thankyou
vk6ti
Regards
Ray

RE: HP-25C Eumulator - Chris Chung - 03-16-2015 01:26 PM

(03-16-2015 10:13 AM)vk6ti Wrote:  I would like to go down for 2 unassembled kits on your next batch please,
I am sorry that I am not making a new list / batch. At least not for the next few months (hopefully longer). I will notify all here in this thread when I am able to do it again.

There is another member who is working to duplicate the project and once his initial built is successful he would offer to open a new batch (I was told). So subscribe to this thread and wait for a post regarding this.

V3 4th batch list (strike-thru for shipped units)
pcfu44, Bernd, Craig, c_d (k), DMaier, olr, MeindertKuipers (k), Leonid 1+1k, jjohnson873 (k + pcb), Namir x2, Benoit Maag x2, sc05027 (x2k) (9 units + 6 kits)

Just waiting Craig to claim his unit. All others have been shipped.

RE: HP-25C Eumulator - jjohnson873 - 03-17-2015 02:44 AM

Greetings! I've been working with Chris Chung on transferring the NP-25 project. For better or worse, I've volunteered to be the goat, er, rather the transferee. I just received my first NP-25 kit from Chris and built it up in about an hour. Turned it on and it worked (good sign). If I've done this right, there should be some pictures of my work attached to this message. I've begun ordering some small quantities of parts from the supply houses. Next task is to order the pc boards to make certain I've got the files correct and that there aren't any issues when the pcb's arrive. Please be a bit patient, to keep prices the same, most of the parts are on a slow boat from China. I'll continue to take orders (kit and assembled). The prices should remain the same unless Sparkfun runs out of displays or the pcb manufacturer goes crazy. I've got a TI Launchpad and I'm working to understand Chris' code and be able to modify it, if needed. I'm coming up slowly on this end of the firmware, but the current hex code will be easy to just download into the MSP430 and keep going as the project is currently configured.
If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. I'll lean on Chris for the tough questions, when he has a moment to answer.
Cheers!
Jim Johnson - Carmel, Indiana USA
HP Calculator Collector
[attachment=1819][attachment=1820][attachment=1821]

RE: HP-25C Eumulator - jjohnson873 - 03-17-2015 12:59 PM

Clarifying my last message. The NP-25 project is all Chris Chung's project. I'm stepping in to help out Chris to continue to ship kits and assembled units. If, and when he would like to resume making/shipping kits or assembled units, I will turn this endeavor back over to him. I have no original work in the NP-25 and would like to acknowledge all of the people that made this very cool electronic calculator project possible, including, but not limited to, Eric Smith and Chris Chung. I take no credit whatsoever in the creation of, or any of the original work for this project. I'm just a "caretaker" of the NP-25 project with an interest in seeing software defined calculators have a future and seeing a rebirth of RPN (if at all possible).
Jim J.

RE: HP-25C Eumulator - Bernd Grubert - 03-18-2015 02:16 PM

Hello Chris,

Yesterday I received my Emulator. Very well made, works prefectly.
Thank you very much!

Regards
Bernd

RE: HP-25C Eumulator - Chris Chung - 03-23-2015 01:20 PM

(03-17-2015 12:59 PM)jjohnson873 Wrote:  Clarifying my last message. The NP-25 project is all Chris Chung's project. I'm stepping in to help out Chris to continue to ship kits and assembled units. If, and when he would like to resume making/shipping kits or assembled units, I will turn this endeavor back over to him. I have no original work in the NP-25 and would like to acknowledge all of the people that made this very cool electronic calculator project possible, including, but not limited to, Eric Smith and Chris Chung. I take no credit whatsoever in the creation of, or any of the original work for this project. I'm just a "caretaker" of the NP-25 project with an interest in seeing software defined calculators have a future and seeing a rebirth of RPN (if at all possible).
Jim J.

Jim, this is an open source project and the batches are just a group organized builds. There can be many batch offers from different members / builders. One could alter the h/w design to add characters on different batches. Different color / shaped PCBs, alternate keyboard keyboard, different components etc.
I have probably done enough units on this design and when I come back, I would do a different one (if I do). One thing I would like all to observe is that the software originally provided from Eric is open sourced, so when we change / adopt it we should release full source code for all to enjoy.

Bernd Grubert Wrote:Yesterday I received my Emulator. Very well made, works prefectly.
Thank you very much!
Thanks. My builds are not professional. I had a kit builder use oven to get very good solder flow and the result was spectacular.

There is one gentleman received an "assembled" unit when he had ordered a kit. I was kind of absent minded when doing this batch and there may have been a mixed up w/ another order. Or I just build the kit accidentally.

If you had ordered an "assembled" unit but received a "kit". Please let me know, I will replace the unit for you.

RE: HP-25C Eumulator - DMaier - 03-24-2015 04:34 AM

Received my np-25 today. I didn't realize how much I miss having an LED calculator. Thanks very much, Chris.

RE: HP-25C Eumulator - Leonid - 03-29-2015 03:41 PM

[Image: 1427642343_f.jpg]
Nice LED calculator in DM flip-open pouch.
Thanks Chris! Wink

RE: HP-25C Eumulator - jjohnson873 - 04-02-2015 12:30 PM

Just an update on pc boards, components, kits and assembled units. I've got new pc boards coming in next week. I'm waiting for a few more components to trickle in to have enough to build up and ship 10 kits or assembled units. Pricing should be the same that Chris Chung used for kits or assembled units. Since I'm in the US, the shipping costs will be a bit less for US residents. ;-)

assembled units are $40 usd, kits are $30 usd.
shipping for US is $3, rest of the world is $8.
enter your shipping name and address via paypal.

I'm keeping track of who expressed an interest in getting NP-25 kits or assembled units.

This is what I have so far. Let me know if I've missed anyone. Also, let me know if you want to be a part of this new batch of orders. If the orders exceed 10 units, I'll order more, based on the response I receive.
Vk6ti (2k).

Cheers! ..... Jim J.