HP Forums
HP-25C Eumulator - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Not HP Calculators (/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: Not quite HP Calculators - but related (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: HP-25C Eumulator (/thread-2175.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

RE: HP-25C Eumulator - Etienne Victoria - 11-27-2014 08:46 PM

Hi Chris,

Please count me in for one V3 board if and when possible.

Thank you for this nice work.

Etienne

RE: HP-25C Eumulator - Chris Chung - 11-29-2014 01:55 AM

A quick update.
Bubble led received. MCUs received, Shift Registers received. Still waiting for a lot of buttons and the PCBs.

V3 pcb list
Mr. H, Guenter, BobVA X2, EdS2, Nigel, Namir X2, Didier, Mr. J, Mark (11)

Extra board / 2nd batch list
John, SlideRule, Brouhaha X2, PANAMATIK, Etienne (6)

RE: HP-25C Eumulator - Lourensk - 11-29-2014 02:38 PM

Hi chris,

I would like to order an unassembled V3 kit if possible,
I have send my details by Email towards you.

Keep up the good work.

Best Regards,
Lourens

RE: HP-25C Eumulator - Chris Chung - 11-29-2014 10:50 PM

V3 pcb list

John, SlideRule, Brouhaha X2, PANAMATIK, Etienne, Lourens (7)

Please do not send shipping address to me now. I will keep the list here. And once I got all the parts, I will send individual PMs to confirm kit / assembly and ask for payment and shipping addresses. This way it will be easier for me to manage.

The 1st batch V3 PCBs I was told were put into "production" last Thursday and they have not shipped them yet. It appears to be slower than usual (usually they can ship 4/5 days after production). I had chose the economical shipping so it will be another 2/3 weeks when they ship them. So I am not expecting the 1st batch to reach you in less than a month. I had to choose economical shipping for everything (not just PCBs) to control the cost so please understand and thanks for your patience.

If the 1st batch PCBs are good. I will order the 2nd batch w/ speedier shipping as I had already order other components in 20x units and PCBs are the only thing that will be missing.

And happy thanks giving weekend for those in the states.

(11-29-2014 02:38 PM)Lourensk Wrote:  Hi chris,

I would like to order an unassembled V3 kit if possible,
I have send my details by Email towards you.

Keep up the good work.

Best Regards,
Lourens

RE: HP-25C Eumulator - Lourensk - 12-02-2014 10:30 AM

Hi Chris,

I tried to compile NP25, in a win7 + Cygwin environment.

The compiler is asking for "../local/common.h", so I used the one from you're bad apple project.

But the compiler gives the following error:
common.h:46:24: error: conflicting types for '__delay_cycles'

Help on this would be highly appreciated.

I can compile the tms0800 project successfully, see screenshot attached, assuming the compiler functions.

[attachment=1245]

RE: HP-25C Eumulator - Chris Chung - 12-02-2014 04:28 PM

(12-02-2014 10:30 AM)Lourensk Wrote:  The compiler is asking for "../local/common.h", so I used the one from you're bad apple project.

But the compiler gives the following error:
common.h:46:24: error: conflicting types for '__delay_cycles'

Apologies. The "local/common.h" is a common header that I used for most projects to save typing. And I forgot to include in the github package.

The common.h from the "bad apple" project is very old. The __delay_cycles marco is no longer needed for the more recent gcc compiler versions, and w/ it defined caused confusion for the compiler.

Please replace #include "../local/common.h" line in np25.c like below

Code:
#include <msp430.h>
//#include "../local/common.h"
// the following #directives / marcos are all we need
#define ___use_cal_clk(x)   \
BCSCTL1 = CALBC1_##x##MHZ;  \
DCOCTL  = CALDCO_##x##MHZ;

#define __use_cal_clk(x)    ___use_cal_clk(x)
//

Also the code is VERY tight. I hope you are using a similar build of gcc toolchain, newer version (and especially the TI commissioned RedHat version) generates way more code and will not fit. Also observe my CFLAGS.

Code:
gcc version 4.6.3 20120301 (mspgcc LTS 20120406 patched to 20120502) (GCC)
/cygdrive/c/mspgcc-20120406-p20120502/bin/msp430-gcc -Os -Wall -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -fno-inline-small-functions -Wl,-Map=np25.map,--cref -Wl,--relax -Wl,--gc-sections -I /cygdrive/c/mspgcc-20120406-p20120502/bin/../msp430/include -mmcu=msp430g2553 -o np25.elf np25.c
   text    data     bss     dec     hex filename
  16322      14     356   16692    4134 np25.elf
  16322      14     356   16692    4134 (TOTALS)
convert to TI Hex

RE: HP-25C Eumulator - Lourensk - 12-03-2014 09:18 AM

Thanks Chris!

Works like a charm.

I am using the same msp430-gcc version to be sure.

Now I am waiting for the launchpads (MSP-EXP430G2 and MSP-EXP430F5529LP) I ordered recently to play with.

Thanks for this nice project and the others on your web site based on this platform.
B.t.w I was not even aware these development kits existed. So back to the soldering iron during the Christmas holidays.

Thanks again, and I am looking forward for more of these nice projects.
Lourens.

RE: HP-25C Eumulator - Chris Chung - 12-04-2014 01:25 AM

(12-03-2014 09:18 AM)Lourensk Wrote:  Now I am waiting for the launchpads (MSP-EXP430G2 and MSP-EXP430F5529LP) I ordered recently to play with.
Glad to know. This will allow you to flash alternate firmware on the NP-25.

The MSP430F5529 comes only in QFP packaging, and is difficult to handle for the average hobbyist. If you are looking to expand the NP-25 to a NP-34, I suggest MSP430F5171/2. The flash and ram size is right and it's offered on TSSOP which most can manage w/ a soldering iron. But it does not come in a launchpad. I guess it makes sense to develop on a F5529 LP and implement a final design on a F5171

You should also get your hand on the new FRAM Launchpad MSP430FR4133, ultra low-power FRAM memory, build-in LCD segment driver. This launchpad has LCD display build-in and is fun to play with.

RE: HP-25C Eumulator - Lourensk - 12-04-2014 11:08 AM

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the suggestion.

I once soldered some AD9859 DDS 48-Lead Thin Quad Flat Packages but it is very tricky. Soldering TSSOP devices is indeed more manageable.

Since those launchpads are so cheap I will order a MSP-EXP430FR4133 as well to play with, sadly the segmented LCD has only 6 digits, but each having 14 segments (like the HP41).

RE: HP-25C Eumulator - Chris Chung - 12-10-2014 12:54 PM

The PCB arrived. They can full-fill 11 units.

I had assembled one unit and it is functioning well. So I will order the 2nd batch of boards later today.

I will be sending PMs to interested members. Please reply w/

. shipping address w/ your name formatted just like you would on an envelop.
. indicate if it is a kit or assembled unit. also indicate if you are in for more than one units.

Cost to you is CAN $30 for a kit, $40 for an assembled unit. Or in US dollars (US$27/kit, US$36/unit).

You can also pay me in US$. It is also preferable to me as all the procurement is done in US$ and I use paypal to buy parts, receiving US$ is better for me so that I can use my collection from you to pay my suppliers w/o going through in-and-outs of my bank account which is costly.

So, if possible, please pay in US$. Shipping is $3 in Canada, $5 in US and $8 everywhere else.

My PM will include a paypal email address and please send payment via paypal the amount + shipping. I will acknowledge receipt of payment as soon as they come in.

V3 pcb list

John, SlideRule, Brouhaha X2, PANAMATIK, Etienne (6)

RE: HP-25C Eumulator - Chris Chung - 12-12-2014 03:15 PM

1st Batch V3 boards 10 units shipped this morning. Please prepare your own CR2032 battery as I am not allowed to ship them international.

[Image: IMG_20141211_203645.jpg]

V3 pcb list

John, SlideRule, Brouhaha X2, PANAMATIK, Etienne, Lourens (7)

The next batch will be 3-4 weeks away.

I think I had forgot to place instruction inserts into a few of the packages so I will list it below.

Both the HP-25 and HP-33 are loaded w/ a test program to perform
9, sin, cos, tan, arc-tan, arc-cos, arc-sin, goto 00
Start-up choice (press a button while turning power on) are as follows.
  • press-n-hold 'g' for hp33C
  • press-n-hold 'E+' for hp25C
  • press-n-hold 'CLS' for hp21
  • press-n-hold '9' for version info
  • press-n-hold 'f' show greetings
  • press-n-hold 'GTO' to edit greetings, use 0-9 to enter numbers and letters, R/S to advance digit, CLS to abandon
  • press-n-hold Pgm/Run toggle button to edit default start-up settings, use 'F' key to select ROM, 'G' key to select speed, Pgm/Run will save setting and exit setup

Quick edit..
Just want to add I had tested all units before shipping. And let me know if you find any problem.
I had also update the source code in github. This version I loosen the timing for flashing memory (as in programming steps and the greeting messages) as I found that on lower voltage (depleting battery), the flashing is not 100% reliable.

RE: HP-25C Eumulator - BobVA - 12-20-2014 03:44 AM

Received in good shape. Thank you Chris! It's a lot of fun to play with.

[Edit]
For tinkerers:
- I'm going to experiment with a red filter for the display to see if that will improve the contrast.

- I covered the back of the of the board with a layer of clear packing tape. A little work with an X-acto knife to make an opening for the battery holder, and down the edges of the IC's, got it nice and flat. It's nearly invisible and provides some insulation of those connections.

RE: HP-25C Eumulator - BobVA - 12-20-2014 09:47 PM

Attached are photos of a display filter test, using a defunct HP-21's front panel. Quite an improvement!

The last photo shows my fabulously engineered packing-tape + kapton back cover Smile

RE: HP-25C Eumulator - EdS2 - 12-21-2014 06:15 PM

Got mine yesterday Chris - thanks! It's a nifty little gadget. Just one question: what's the reason for the notch on the right hand side? It might be obvious, but I can't guess.

RE: HP-25C Eumulator - Steve Simpkin - 12-21-2014 10:03 PM

(12-21-2014 06:15 PM)EdS2 Wrote:  Got mine yesterday Chris - thanks! It's a nifty little gadget. Just one question: what's the reason for the notch on the right hand side? It might be obvious, but I can't guess.

From post #72 by Chris in this thread:
"Actually the initial plan was to try create flashy badges (yet functional) for conferences, notice pcb w/ the slot for badge holders"

He had a picture showing a neck strap on one as well.
http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-2175-post-21496.html#pid21496

RE: HP-25C Eumulator - Massimo Gnerucci - 12-21-2014 11:11 PM

(12-21-2014 10:03 PM)Steve Simpkin Wrote:  
(12-21-2014 06:15 PM)EdS2 Wrote:  Got mine yesterday Chris - thanks! It's a nifty little gadget. Just one question: what's the reason for the notch on the right hand side? It might be obvious, but I can't guess.

From a previous post by Chris in this thread:
"Actually the initial plan was to try create flashy badges (yet functional) for conferences, notice pcb w/ the slot for badge holders"

That's the hole on the bottom.

RE: HP-25C Eumulator - Chris Chung - 12-22-2014 01:40 PM

(12-21-2014 11:11 PM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote:  
(12-21-2014 10:03 PM)Steve Simpkin Wrote:  From a previous post by Chris in this thread:

That's the hole on the bottom.

It's more cosmetic than anything. I was testing my PCB suppliers capability by introducing square holes, turns and bends here and there and that notch is good place to cut out as there are no components nor traces going through. It is a "thumb rest" for me. You won't be resting your thumb there though as the tiny unit requires you to use both hands to key. I can only operate it like a small bar phone and do thumb typing.

RE: HP-25C Eumulator - Chris Chung - 12-22-2014 01:48 PM

(12-20-2014 09:47 PM)BobVA Wrote:  Attached are photos of a display filter test, using a defunct HP-21's front panel. Quite an improvement!

The last photo shows my fabulously engineered packing-tape + kapton back cover Smile

Good call, I don't even notice your packing-tape fix. My son uses a similar DataMath at school and I tape a piece of "foam" (from arts & craft supplies) to the back so it won't poke his fingers.

There is not much we can do about the LED brightness w/ the current "direct drive" design. And these bubble LEDs are tinier than most, so it's really meant to be a toy piece / occasional use rather than a work horse calculator.

RE: HP-25C Eumulator - BobVA - 12-23-2014 10:56 PM

(12-22-2014 01:48 PM)Chris Chung Wrote:  There is not much we can do about the LED brightness w/ the current "direct drive" design. And these bubble LEDs are tinier than most, so it's really meant to be a toy piece / occasional use rather than a work horse calculator.

I was surprised how much a filter helped. I'm going to see if I can figure a way to install one without ruining the cool looks of the calculator.

Speaking of which - a young friend started playing with mine and I almost didn't get it back.

Please put me down for another one!

RE: HP-25C Eumulator - Chris Chung - 12-29-2014 06:18 PM

Order list update

V3 pcb list
The 1st batch has been filled.

If you have any issue, please let me know so that I can try and resolve. I know they are not perfect and after assembling all these units, I notice there are areas that can / should be improved. It is very different to build a couple for myself and to build a few dozen. I actually got 12 boards for this batch from my fabricator and had wasted one (including all parts) because I am not careful, and the current PCB design does not tolerate much error (especially the component on both side strategy).

John, SlideRule, Brouhaha X2, PANAMATIK, Etienne, Lourens, viaPM1, viaPM2, BobVA, viaPM3 (11)

I am getting additional orders via PM and the next batch of PCBs have been filled.

I am expecting them to come in next week and will notify you all when it happens.

I am also working to adjust the V3 boards, mainly the hole size for the smd tactile buttons, currently there are a tad larger and did not align nicely w/ the new low-profile smd buttons. You may ask why I am using smd parts on holes. The reason is that I am using the holes to align the parts (they have to be bent) as I (or most kit-builders) can't afford stencils / ovens / pick-and-place setups. I hope my next try will get them right.

If there are additional requests, they will be placed in a list for another round of 10 units.

P.S. for those who got the units, if the flux / rosin really bothers you, you can try and use alcohol / nail polish remover and a used toothbrush on them. Be sure to remove the battery 1st and dry afterwards. I did not try this method though. The flux residue is quite common when hand solder on "white" PCBs.

Happy holidays.