HP Forums
HP-25C Eumulator - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Not HP Calculators (/forum-7.html)
+--- Forum: Not quite HP Calculators - but related (/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: HP-25C Eumulator (/thread-2175.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

RE: HP-25C Eumulator - Chris Chung - 01-14-2015 12:45 PM

(01-14-2015 03:52 AM)John R Wrote:  Hi Chris,

I got mine in the mail today. It is even nicer than I imagined -- worth every penny (and more)!

Thanks so much for the time and effort you have put into this, and for making it available to all of us.

Cheers,
John

Glad you enjoy it. I enjoy working on this project as well.

(01-14-2015 06:06 AM)iceman Wrote:  Hi Chris,

Got it yesterday. Built it today, very nice kit. Mounted bubbles at 20 degrees as suggested in HP data sheet. Used machine tool sockets.

Thank-you very much Chris.

(Pictures in email)

You did a better build than most of my units! Especially like your retro "red" ic sockets. I do prefer to have LEDs mounted flat and the fact that the LEDs allows for incline also make them difficult to align. Did you friction fit them on different inclinations before fixing them? Is there a lot of differences w/ the angles? Honestly I did not plan attention to this before.

Would you mind if I paste your photos so all can enjoy? (no answer in 24 hrs means yes Smile)

V3 3rd batch list expect shipping late January
rposperi x3, Marcus (k), Geoff, jebem (k), walter, Den, RMollov, Herman (k), jebem (k) (11 units)

V3 4th batch list expect shpping mid Feburary
algorhythm x2 (k), pcfu44, Bernd, Graig (5 units)

RE: HP-25C Eumulator - Bernd Grubert - 01-14-2015 02:15 PM

Hi Chris,
(01-14-2015 12:45 PM)Chris Chung Wrote:  V3 4th batch list expect shpping mid Feburary
Thanks for putting me on the list.
When do you exspect the payment?

Regards
Bernd

RE: HP-25C Eumulator - jebem - 01-14-2015 04:18 PM

(01-14-2015 12:45 PM)Chris Chung Wrote:  V3 3rd batch list expect shipping late January
rposperi x3, Marcus (k), Geoff, jebem (k), walter, Den, RMollov, Herman (k), jebem (k) (11 units)

Hi, Chris,
I'm "jebem" and I'm on your list for only one unit in kit form, please!

The above list lists my name twice and one of it with 11 units !
I believe there was some error when copying the previous list order from the previous posts.
Thanks!

RE: HP-25C Eumulator - iceman - 01-14-2015 06:28 PM

Quote:Would you mind if I paste your photos so all can enjoy?

Hi Chris,

Please go ahead, I would have posted them myself, but there was no room in my account.

Also, I may have missed it, but could you please post the default program that the calculator ships with for 25C and 33C?

Is it the same for both e.g. arcsin(arccos(arctan(tan(cos(sin(9­))))))?

Quote:Did you friction fit them on different inclinations before fixing them? Is there a lot of differences w/ the angles? Honestly I did not plan attention to this before.

Yes, I friction fit and tried different angles. For table top use and with the calculator flat, you may wish to have 30 degrees. If the ICs are socketed, the calculator is sloped, so 20 degrees seems to work well. For handheld use, zero degrees might be best as the keyboard is so compact.

Cheers,

RE: HP-25C Eumulator - Chris Chung - 01-14-2015 07:52 PM

(01-14-2015 06:28 PM)iceman Wrote:  
Quote:Would you mind if I paste your photos so all can enjoy?

Hi Chris,

Please go ahead, I would have posted them myself, but there was no room in my account.

Also, I may have missed it, but could you please post the default program that the calculator ships with for 25C and 33C?

Is it the same for both e.g. arcsin(arccos(arctan(tan(cos(sin(9­))))))?

Yes I believe it's also called the forensic test. There was a web site I recall lists the result for many calculators.

Iceman's build....

[attachment=1445][attachment=1443][attachment=1444]

RE: HP-25C Eumulator - Chris Chung - 01-15-2015 12:53 PM

(01-14-2015 04:18 PM)jebem Wrote:  
(01-14-2015 12:45 PM)Chris Chung Wrote:  V3 3rd batch list expect shipping late January

Hi, Chris,
I'm "jebem" and I'm on your list for only one unit in kit form, please!

The above list lists my name twice and one of it with 11 units !
I believe there was some error when copying the previous list order from the previous posts.
Thanks!

Thanks for the correction! It is sometimes difficult to track.

rposperi x3, Marcus (k), Geoff, jebem (k), walter, Den, RMollov, Herman (k), algorhythm x2 (k) (12 units)

V3 4th batch list expect shipping mid February
pcfu44, Bernd, Graig, c_d (4 units)

RE: HP-25C Eumulator - DMaier - 01-16-2015 06:19 AM

Chris:

I'm interested in 1 assembled unit. Thanks!

RE: HP-25C Eumulator - Didier Lachieze - 01-17-2015 10:46 AM

I've assembled today my NP 25 kit. Thanks to the detailed instructions from Chris everything went well.
Here are a few pictures:

[Image: a0nfi3] [Image: a0nfi5] [Image: a0nfhs]
[Image: a0nfhu] [Image: a0nfhw] [Image: a0nfhz]
[Image: a0nfhl] [Image: a0nfhn]

I've entered the Moon Landing Program for the HP 25 and it works well.

However I've noted something strange: the BST function doesn't seem to work, when in program mode pressing BST doesn't move one step back. it doesn't seem to be an issue with the physical button switch as for ex. f SCI 3 works in non program mode and is correctly registered in program mode.
EDIT: don't mind, it was switched to HP 33 emulation ... Switching back to HP 25 everything is OK.

RE: HP-25C Eumulator - walter b - 01-17-2015 10:56 AM

Merci bien pour cette documentation illustrée!

BTW, I notice the board saying "woodstock / spice microcode emulation". Now - where's the spice? What did I overlook?

d:-?

RE: HP-25C Eumulator - Sanjeev Visvanatha - 01-17-2015 11:20 AM

(01-17-2015 10:56 AM)walter b Wrote:  BTW, I notice the board saying "woodstock / spice microcode emulation". Now - where's the spice? What did I overlook?

Walter, with a quick keycode during startup, you can be a Spice (HP-33, specifically).

RE: HP-25C Eumulator - Didier Lachieze - 01-17-2015 11:51 AM

Walter, you can choose the emulated calculator at startup:

Quote:Start-up choice (press a button while turning power on) are as follows.
press-n-hold 'g' for hp33C
press-n-hold 'E+' for hp25C
press-n-hold 'CLS' for hp21

(See all startup choice details in this post)

RE: HP-25C Eumulator - walter b - 01-17-2015 02:45 PM

(01-17-2015 11:20 AM)Sanjeev Visvanatha Wrote:  Walter, with a quick keycode during startup, you can be a Spice (HP-33, specifically).

Gosh, that's frightening! I don't really want to be a Spice Wink

d:-)

RE: HP-25C Eumulator - Massimo Gnerucci - 01-17-2015 04:24 PM

(01-17-2015 02:45 PM)walter b Wrote:  
(01-17-2015 11:20 AM)Sanjeev Visvanatha Wrote:  Walter, with a quick keycode during startup, you can be a Spice (HP-33, specifically).

Gosh, that's frightening! I don't really want to be a Spice Wink

Too late...

[Image: mild_cut_site.png]

Mildly spiced.

RE: HP-25C Eumulator - walter b - 01-17-2015 09:29 PM

(01-17-2015 04:24 PM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote:  Too late...

I always feared I'd come to a bad end.

d;-)

RE: HP-25C Eumulator - Chris Chung - 01-18-2015 01:23 AM

(01-17-2015 10:46 AM)Didier Lachieze Wrote:  However I've noted something strange: the BST function doesn't seem to work, when in program mode pressing BST doesn't move one step back. it doesn't seem to be an issue with the physical button switch as for ex. f SCI 3 works in non program mode and is correctly registered in program mode.
EDIT: don't mind, it was switched to HP 33 emulation ... Switching back to HP 25 everything is OK.

Very nice build and well equipped to do the job. A pair of tweeters helps in a lot of places.

Yes, that confuses me initially as well. Found out the HP-33's back step is shift (G) + SST. The PCB silkscreen is for HP-25 so it doesn't play well when you are in HP-33 or HP-21 emulation.

@walter
Here is the video that shows the various start-up modes

rposperi x3, Marcus (k), Geoff, jebem (k), walter, Den, RMollov, Herman (k), algorhythm x2 (k) (12 units)

V3 4th batch list expect shipping mid February
pcfu44, Bernd, Graig, c_d, DMaier, olr (6 units)

EDIT A few member PMed and ask for payment instructions.
I will send out common instructions to everybody when the units are almost ready, (i.e. all parts and PCBs arrived), and I would wait 2/3 days for the payment and for your shipping addresses (and also allow time for myself to do the assembly). My paypal account is associated w/ an gmail account and that's all one needs to send money. This worked well for the last 2/3 batches.
A kit will cost you US$30, assembled unit is US$40. Shipping is $3 for Canada, $5 for US and $8 for rest of the world. Only 2 units / kits per shipping packet. I.e. For 3 units / kits you have to pay 2 x shipping. This is the constraint of the cheaper postage (called light packet) I am using.

RE: HP-25C Eumulator - Marcus von Cube - 01-18-2015 09:38 AM

If Walter agrees you can send mine and his in a single packet. We live only a few km apart. If you send it to me I would have an assembled reference for my kit.

RE: HP-25C Eumulator - Didier Lachieze - 01-18-2015 09:44 AM

What confused me at the beginning was that the ROM selection at startup with ON + g (33) or E+(25) is temporary and the next time you'll switch on the NP 25 it will load the default ROM selected by ON + PGM/RUN.

RE: HP-25C Eumulator - jebem - 01-18-2015 06:59 PM

NP-25 User Guide

Hi, Chris,
I hope you are alright when I post a summary of your excellent information about this project as a "NP-25 User Guide".
If this is an issue for you or others involved in this project, I apologize and I will remove it right away.

EDIT:
Draft Version 0.1 have just come out now incorporating the suggested corrections by some of the MoHPC members.
Please keep reading the next posts to find out this new version.

RE: HP-25C Eumulator - Massimo Gnerucci - 01-18-2015 07:58 PM

Excellent work Jose, thank you very much

RE: HP-25C Eumulator - walter b - 01-18-2015 08:21 PM

Muito obrigado, Jose! Very good photographs as well.

Little nitpicky remarks for the next edition:
  • It's called Nonpareil, not Nonpariel (please change all).
  • What's sometimes called E+ is in fact Σ+. You can copy it from here. Just saw it's on the pcb, too, which doesn't make it any better - pcb print may have featured only a very limited set of letters though.